gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1 slow?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1 slow? Reply with quote

Hi.

I've spent a week building kernels, playing with kernel 2.4.20, both gentoo-sources and ck-r3. My experience is that my desktop runs considerably slower on a 2.40.20 kernel than a 2.4.19 kernel. In particular, kde program load time, even with all my binaries and libraries prelinked is way down. I'm curious. What experiences have other folks had with 2.4.20?

Seth
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both but I cannot say I saw a difference. Well maybe I just didn't noticed it.

How much considerably slower?
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar wrote:
I've tried both but I cannot say I saw a difference. Well maybe I just didn't noticed it.

How much considerably slower?

My impressions are subjective but it seemed to me that kmail really took a speed hit. Loading it took between 5 and 10 seconds when I was running a 2.4.20 kernel. Now that I'm back using a 2.4.19 kernel kmail seems almost twice as fast as that.

Seth
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure there are not differences in the configuration of the two kernels?

Maybe I'll try the older one again...

PS: try some simple benchmark with time. I'm interested.
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar wrote:
Are you sure there are not differences in the configuration of the two kernels?

Maybe I'll try the older one again...

I'm pretty sure. I copied my 2.4.19 .config file to the 2.4.20 kernel and played around with some options like latency (which is back in 2.4.20) and preempt, turning them both on or enabling one or the other, and no matter what I tried my load time and over all system responsiveness seemed worse.

One big difference between the two configs was that in .20 I had the i2c modules enabled so I could play with lm_sensors. But even with those disabled and lm_sensors unmerged things were more sluggish than I liked.

Seth
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice any difference from 2.4.19 to 2.4.20.

Quote:
Loading it took between 5 and 10 seconds when I was running a 2.4.20 kernel. Now that I'm back using a 2.4.19 kernel kmail seems almost twice as fast as that.

Are you sure prelinking is even working? I'm not using prelinking and kmail loads in about 3 seconds, this is on a p3-800 nothing overly fancy.
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:

Are you sure prelinking is even working? I'm not using prelinking and kmail loads in about 3 seconds, this is on a p3-800 nothing overly fancy.

Well, I'm sure kmail is prelinked though I'm not sure it's working. Here's a time on launching kmail.

Code:

real  0m1.700s
user 0m0.667s
sys  0m0.020s

This is what I got over a vnc connection to my home machine from work (where I am now) and which is currently running the 2.4.19-gentoo-r10 kernel. Truth to tell, I don't even know what those numbers mean. Presumably the smaller the number the faster. As soon as I can I'll reboot and load the 2.4.20 kernel and do some timings there.

Seth
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In bugzilla I found this but I don't know if it's related.
thargor66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a Duron 800 with via686b ATA100 epox board and I noticed a huge hit going to the 2.4.20 gentoo sources. Especially when there is a few things happening at once, such as an emerge compile running in the background and trying to load up kmail.

I though it might have been the preemptive or low latency patches and tried the compile without them and found it wouldn't compile without the preemptive patch running, although it will compile with and without the low latency. I get an error when linking fs.o when the only change is the prememptive patch...

I suspect it's something to do with the HDD IO, as the slow down appears to be with disk accesses. But that's unconfirmed.

Thargor66
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thargor66 wrote:

I suspect it's something to do with the HDD IO, as the slow down appears to be with disk accesses. But that's unconfirmed.

I'm curious, what leads you to believe HDD IO is the cause?

Seth
thargor66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth wrote:
thargor66 wrote:

I'm curious, what leads you to believe HDD IO is the cause?

Seth

Mainly that the severe jerkiness and 1/2 - 1 second pauses in the machine didn't kick in until there was some kind of IO thing happening in the background. tar.gz, compiling or said loading up the mail spool files for kmail.

If I stick to a single process. E.g. have kmail up and don't do anything in the background, the system works fine.
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Gentoo on a Athlon-tbird 1Ghz and it is my opinion that there is something terrible wrong with gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1.

- First with top the system resources when the machine is at rest hovers around 11% with peaks to higher (25-35%), never had that with 2.4.19-rX.
- A application like gnomemeeting is eating 5% when doing nothing with it, again new for 2.4.20-r1.
- Playing video with mplayer eats twice the recources in comparison wirh 2.4.19-rX
- Disk Access is sometimes very slow.

Switched back to 2.4.19-r9 (can't copile 2.4.19-r10) and all things went back to normal, maybe will try a vanilla kernel 2.4.20 with patches this weekend.
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched to linux 2.4.20 ck3 and this one behaves like I used too and is quick. So the patches applied to gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r1 are misbehaving.
L-Chamber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo 2.4.20-r1 seems very slow for me too... slower than the gentoo 2.4.19 sources for sure.
maKKus wrote:
Switched to linux 2.4.20 ck3 and this one behaves like I used too and is quick.

I'm swicthing to ck3 now after going from ck2 -> gentoo-2.4.20-r1.
maKKus wrote:
So the patches applied to gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r1 are misbehaving.

I'm not sure whats going on with the patches, but I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues. Roll on 2.6 I say. :)
mickywicky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar:
I think you hit teh right bug. I am running SETI@HOME reniced at 19. (lowest priority).
On kernel 2.4.19, not a single problem whatsoever with that. Upgrade to 2.4.20-r1 (gentoo-sources), emerge openoffice... CPU running at 60% all night according to gkrellm (nice time excluded). I stop seti@home, CPU goes to 100% and the emerge accelerates.

Other example: Unreal Tournament is unplayabale until I stop SETI@home as well.

So I think that would be the problem all right.

Micky
rajl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1 and haven't noticed a problem at all like you guys are having. I just copied my old .config file over and compiled. I admit that I went from gentoo 2.4.19-r10 to 2.4.20-1, so if there is a performance hit, it might not be as noticeable as say going from ck source to gentoo sources.

-----------------------------------------------------------
It's easy to be brave once you consider the alternatives.
Vancouverite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have got the best all round desktop performance using the CK4 patchset (2.4.20 kernel) with XFS partitions and XFree86 niced to -10.
DiskDoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Openoffice and SETI Reply with quote

I'm just posting to confirm the observation regarding SETI and Openoffice. When starting OO 1.0.2 precompiled it ran so slow I thought it crashed. Stopping SETI@Home (running at nice 19) speeded things up to normal.

I'm using the Gentoo 2.4.20-r1 sources and installed Seti only two days ago..haven't looked for a difference with the 2.4.19-r10 kernel (yet).
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this bug is still here, I think gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1 should not be marked as stable.
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason after compiling the gentoo-sources kernel with Preemptible Kernel and Low latency scheduling, things actually seem to run *slower! This seems strange since everyone says it will help performance.
nacs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the same thing. I was excited about the preemptive patch and all that surfaced with the newest gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r2 but then found that the system actually performed worse multi-tasking-wise. When I run one main program or such, it's OK. But start a program that hits the harddrive a little harder then start try using another program and the system starts lagging.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: