View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Edulix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Gnome only works in safe mode [resolved] Reply with quote

Hello!

I was really surprised when I, like the most of the days, signed on my gnome session and gnome-panel doesn't appeard. It ony appeard the applications that I saved for my gnome sesion. So tried to run gnome with root, and all appeard, but says 2 errors about gnome-panel and gnome-terminal, both "segment violation" (In spanish "Violación del segment"). I tried to run bug buddy,but after a moments, it showed another error (yeah, you wished it, segment violation!). I tried to run many gnome applications, and from the Gnome calc to GnomeMeeting, all says the famous "segment violation".

I don't know what I have done bad, and, I also thing that this bug must be related with a gnome component, because it seems that the error appear only in some gnome applications.

I've also tried to run Gnome in save mode, and it shows the same two errors when gnome-panel load, and then it close and re-open its own (gnome-panel) and seems that gnome-panel function right.

I'm using a Gentoo 1.2, with Gnome 2.0.2-r2. Can somebody orient to me?

Last edited by _Edulix on Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
_Edulix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: I'm so happy ;) Reply with quote

I've tried to download the last stable Gnome. When I haven't finished downloading it, I musted to shut down my computer. Now I see that all functions well!.

This could help everyone who had the same problems as me. Yes, I don't know whick were the problems, but, like in medicine, there is preferent to the solution instead of the explanation of the problem :lol:. Steps:

Suddently your Gnome system fails. You don't know why (If you knows, I wants to know it :roll: ). It says "Segment violation" in many Gnome applications and then them close. I think you're using Gentoo 1.2 and Gnome 2.0.2.

You only have to do:
Code:
#emerge gnome

And at other terminal, after in the first install one application, do #emerge -p gnome. The problem should be resolved when with #emerge -p gnome appear:
Code:

edulix # emerge -p gnome

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/libbonobo-2.0.1 [2.0.0-r1]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/control-center-2.0.3-r1 [2.0.1.1-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-extra/gnome-system-monitor-2.0.3 [2.0.2-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/gnome-desktop-2.0.10 [2.0.9-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-extra/gnome-games-2.0.6 [2.0.4-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/libgnomecanvas-2.0.5 [2.0.4-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/gnome-session-2.0.9 [2.0.8-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-extra/yelp-1.0.7 [1.0.6-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.0.11 [2.0.10-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/bonobo-activation-1.0.4 [1.0.3-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/eel-2.0.8 [2.0.7-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.0.3 [2.0.2.5-r1]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-extra/gnome-utils-2.0.6 [2.0.5-r0]
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/gnome-2.0.3-r1 [2.0.2-r2]

Important
I'm having a problem, the same as the one related in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=30252&highlight=wtmp+utmp. It could be related with not merge all gnome, so I'm actually merging it!

At least, it funtioned for me. Well, have anyone an explanation or some information related ?[/b]
Kawada
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you run an strace of one of these seg violations? I've got a hunch about the problem, but I need an strace to confirm it. Also, how do you have your localizations set? What does the output of "locale" read?

2002 Nethack Tournament -- 317th runner-up http://nethack.devnull.net/
_Edulix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: ~/.xsession-errors Reply with quote

Sorry but since updating gnome, the problem desappeard, so I can't do what you want. Whatever, now I conly can enter to a Gnome sesion through Gnome Safe Mode (Gnome a prueba d fallos). It says that my last gnome sesion lasted less than 10 seconds, because it says .xsesion-errors. I've tried to erase the content of it file, but the content retured and the error too. My .xsesion-errors is the next :

Code:

# cat ~/.xsession-errors               
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession//Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession//Default: running: sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l :0 root

Hum, for more information, this are my locals:
Code:

# cat /etc/profile | grep "export L"
export LANG="es_ES@euro"
export LC_ALL="es_ES@euro"
export LANGUAGE="spanish

8O
Kawada
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, looks like my hunch was wrong. I know that segfaulting gnome apps can be related to conflicts with locale settings, but it doesn't look like that is the case here. But since you got that problem solved, it doesn't really matter anyway.

If you're running into problems with your gnome sessions lasting less than 10 seconds, it might mean that there is a problem with the order of execution in your session script. Take a look at it, and make sure that gnome is the last thing being executed in it and that everything else is being executed in the background.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

2002 Nethack Tournament -- 317th runner-up http://nethack.devnull.net/
_Edulix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: I saw the problem!! Reply with quote

Excuse by the time past without a reponse!

I have finally saw the end of the iceberg. After done many things, now there's no error given at start of gnome. However, gnome-panel isn't shown.

But all does function normaly in Gnome saf3e mode, AND in root user (yeah, without gnome safe mode, in 'only' gnome).

I deleted ~/.gnomerc-errors, and ~/.xsession-erros, and now, the last one is created only when I login in Gnome ('only' Gnome, normal Gnome session) with (the only user that I've got for me, plus root of couse) "edulix". And this is what the file says:

Code:

# cat ~/.xsession-errors               
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession//Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession//Default: running: sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l :0 root

So, I see at least three posibilities for the origin of this problem,but I only wonder one solution:

1. It's about permmisions. Because of it, it does login well with root. But why in gnome safe mode with 'edulix' user too function? I could verify if it had another user more. I think the /tmp permissions are good!:

Code:

$ ls -la / | grep tmp
drwxrwxrwt   36 root     root        12288 2003-02-01 14:19 tmp

2. It's related with a bad user configuration wtih Gnome. How could I verify this for fix it then?

3. It's a problem with the programs that loads when Gnome start, the programs I saved to be loaded, I saved it the last time when the session had no problems. gnome safe mode doesn't charge this programs, and in root I doesn't saved any session so the problem is explained. I think this could be the problem. So I have to find wich is the file that says wich programs gnome loads at init and fix it (removing the programs one by one to know wich is the problematic). I am going to do this, to you I will maintain informed e load at init and change it.

If someone knows something, all the help of the world is needed there! :D

"See you again Anonymous Coward"
_Edulix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reponse ? :(
Apolonius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rename or delete the folder .gnome2 in you user directory, then start gnome2
_Edulix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Resolved Reply with quote

Hey Apolonius what you said resolved the problem! :D

Thanks you to all of you for helpping me with this :wink:
Shrekkie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let know , with me it just was my lack of space on the HDD. Check if it ain't full.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: