View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 XF86 problems Reply with quote

I have an Asus A7N8X and the NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 video card. I previously had X working with my Dell E171FP 17" LCD monitor at it's native resolution 1280x1024 16bpp with the 3.x NVIDIA kernel driver and it's associated glx extension running XFree86 4.2.1 . I emerged the new 4.x versions of each and copied the new config file from /lib/modules.d/._CFG0000_.NVIDIA to /lib/modules.d/nvidia like I was supposed to. I was told to make sure DBE wasn't in my /etc/X11/XF86Config file, it wasn't. I've got "nvidia" as my driver, the same way it was with the older drivers. When I load startx it goes to what is supposed to look like the green NVIDIA logo like it used to but it's all garbled up and I can't ctrl alt backspace out of it. I have to reboot. /var/log/XFree86.0.log shows that it fails after it initializes GLX Extension. It says "Fatal server error: Caught signal 11. sever aborting. I have tried lower resolutions too.
:idea: IMPORTANT :idea:
libglx.so seems to load fine, but i noticed it says compiled for 4.02 in /var/log/XFree86.0.log, same with nvidia_drv.o !! I think this is my problem. How did this happen(I just realized this while writing this up!) /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so points to /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions.so I have emerged the proper 4.x versions of these drivers by going into the portage directory and specifying the right one. I did the glx one twice but it's compiled for the wrong XFree86 apparently. well i'm getting closer...

Last edited by John2583 on Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remeber correctly signal 11 is caused by bad hardware/overclocked hardware, or your software was compiled with too many optimizations.
mabey this link will interest you http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

also I have heard that the A7N8X (Nforce2 chipsets) need the newest -ac sources to work properly.

I also have a gf4 4200, and have no problems here, except for the following.
my gf card likes its own IRQ, if it is sharing irqs, it is terrible instable.
also I had to set the agp driver strength to E,C. (as recommended by /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-1.0.4191/README.gz) otherwise 3d games were very unstable. but my chipset is from via, so this might not help.

I have had no problems with Xfree 4.2.1/4.99.3 and the nvidia 1.0.4191 drivers, so I dont think its a version issue. just make sure you have done a "opengl-update nvidia"

hth,
sa
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the fact that the drivers say they're compiled for 4.0.2 isn't my problem? hmm, I checked my BIOS IRQ settings, they're manual, each one say reserved. I did the opengl-update nvidia and it switched to the opengl interface. I don't think I had done that yet. I'll need to add that to the startup scripts won't I? Anyway it still doesn't work. same garbled logo
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you only have to run "opengl-update nvidia" once, or on software updates.

my log says this... so yes I dont think its the version that is the problem. (it worked for 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 too)
Code:
[...snip...]
XFree86 Version 4.2.99.2 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
Release Date: 18 December 2002
[...snip...]
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
        compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.4191
        Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
        ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1

'cat /proc/interrupts' will tell you if its sharing irqs, but I dont think this is your problem.

can you try using the "nv" XFree86 driver, does that work?

and also the dbe extension can be in your config, I think you want it in there.
mine looks like,
Code:
Section "Module"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

hmm, not sure what else it could be... mabey you could get more assistance at the nvidia linux forums. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sa on Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i had it kinda working, i commented out the glx extension or module. but i couldn't play UT2003 or mplayer. so i tried to go back to the old 3.x drivers. that didn't work. What I'd like to do is start all over. I have been literally messing around with too many config files and stuff. i have edited /etc/modules.d/nvidia /etc/modules.conf obviously XF86Config. I am frustrated. why must it be so hard to get X working? If anyones listening. are there any more things i should post here? config files?
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same setup you do.

Asus A7N8x Dexule Nforce2 chipset. I also have an abit OTES GeForce 4 Video card...overclocked to 300Mhz. Video Ram is runnig at 550Mhz. DDR RAM is two interleaved 512 meg ocz 433Mhz dimms and all timings in mobo are set to aggressive with Cas 2 latency.

I have no problems what so ever. In fact, I haven't had a crash since I purchased the OSS commerical sound drivers. I play UT2003 with full textures, 32 bit, 1024x768 for hours no problems. Running gentoo 1.4rc1, kernel 2.4.19-r10.
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're using the 4.x NVIDA Drivers? I have an Abit video card too(Siluro GF4 Ti 4200 with DVI, regular DB-25(?) connector and TV-out via S-Video or Composite(RCA)). Do you use multiple displays? I have a TV I could hook up. could you post your XF86Config? I'd love to see it.
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at work right now but I am using whatever the latest nvidia kernel module is in the portage tree. When I get home I will post a ton of my configs.

One thing I found with the GeForce4 and the NForce is that depending on what options you have set in your BIOS, the PCI bus ID on the AGP slot changes. I don't know why. I've had to edit my Xconfig a couple times now just to change the AGP slot ID in the config. If you look in Xconfig file for the nivida card section, near the bottom of that section is where the ID is. If you then cat /proc/pci and the bus and device number does not match, you have to change it in the Xconfig.

I don't use multiple displays but I have before using the DVI adapter I hooked up a regular monitor to the DVI port. I had to do some tweaking to get it to work but it did work. I got bitter though because the second monitor was taking up too much room.
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
by SQLboy via Private message:
After installing the 4.x driver, I don't think the X config is your problem.

The kernel module changed from NVdriver to nvidia.o. So, in your modules.autoload, take out the NVDriver line and replace it with just nvidia.

Mine is:
# For example:
# 3c59x
nvnet
usb-ohci
hid
ide-scsi
mousedev
printer
nvidia
usb-storage

Then my /etc/modules.d.nvidia is:
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195
options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
alias eth0 nvnet

My XF86Config stayed the same.

I set all this and it does work when I comment out loading the GLX module from the XF86Config. I still have the same problem if I enable it to load. Is there a way I can set verbose error reporting in the log when I startx? GLX isn't a module right, nothing to load? I see it's called a module in the XF86Config, but it isn't a kernel module right? I see some notes about the NV-GLX extension in the XF86 error log after X fails to start. is that the same thing as the GLX module that I see in the XF86config?
Code:

# This loads the GLX module
#    Load       "glx"

here is my /etc/modules.d/nvidia:
Code:

# Nvidia drivers support
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195

# To tweak the driver the following options can be used, note that
# you should be careful, as it could cause instability!!
#
#   To enable Side Band Adressing:  NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1
#
#   To enable Fast Writes: NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
#
# To enable both for instance, uncomment following line:
#
options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

the nvidia module loads fine btw, I have it in my modules.autoload, and I can see it load during the boot process.
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, your having problems already, why would you enable the fastwrites and sideband addressing in your nvidia config? save that for after you get it working.
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastwrites wouldn't cause his problem. I have this all working on the same gear pretty much.

Ok dude, do this. I think this could be your problem. First, go to your console and forget X for a second. We are going to do this from scratch.

1. unmerge nvidia-kernel and nvidia glx, the 4.x versions you are using.

2. go to your /usr/src/linux dir and "make menuconfig" to get the kernel config menu.

3. Go to "character devices". Verify /dev/agpart support is ON and everything under AGP art is off. Then verify DRI is off.

4. Ok, I want to do a fresh kernel and get a fresh set of modules in /lib/modules. So, exit out of menu config and do:

Code:

make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules
rm -rf /lib/modules/* #sometimes it don't delete the old dir
make modules_install

Now install your bzImage into /boot
Code:

mount /boot
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage
umount /boot

5. Remove the nivida file from /etc/modules.d, then update-modules
6. remove any references to the nvidia driver in /etc/modules.autoload

7. now reboot
8.ok now do

Code:

cat /proc/pci

You'll see something like this, probably last entry.

Code:

Bus  3, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce4 Ti 4200 (rev 163).
      IRQ 7.
      Master Capable.  Latency=248.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0ffffff].
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd8000000 [0xdbffffff].
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xdc000000 [0xdc07ffff].

Ok, notice mine says Bus 3 device 0.

9. now open /etc/X11/XF86Config. Under section "Device" verify this:

Code:

Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVidia"
        BoardName   "GeForce4 Ti 4200"
        BusID       "PCI:3:0:0"

notice my bus id is 3:0. This has actually changed on me a couple times so thats why we are verifying yours. Also, the driver is "nvidia". All other lines in this section are commented out for me.

this is my module section. I don't know what 1/2 of them do.

Code:

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "xie"
        Load  "pex5"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "speedo"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
EndSection

10. Ok, now emege the 4.x versions of nvidia kernel and nvidia-glx.

11. Add "nvidia" to modules.autoload

12. update-modules

13. opengl-update nvidia

14. ok, reboot and we'll see if all this crap works on a fresh reboot. You should be able to start up X with no problems
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQLBoy wrote:

3. Go to "character devices". Verify /dev/agpart support is ON and everything under AGP art is off. Then verify DRI is off.

My previous kernel config had /dev/agpart support enabled, but I couldn't find AGP art or DRI options to verify that they were NOT enabled. Where are they?
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be looking for /dev/agpgart and drm since those are present under character devices. I have the same flat panel as you and am having a hard time configuring X after a fresh install and with 4191 drivers and geforce4mx420 video card. For some reason I get a ridiculously low resolution and am only able to a quarter of the nvidia splash screen. If you do get X working I'd be interested in knowing how you did it.
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, it's actually called /dev/agpgart (AGP support) it's on. everything below that is off(all the Intel chipsets etc) and "Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support" is off. It's the second to last choice in Character Devices. I haven't compiled a new kernel yet. I'm looking at the config for my current one and it appears that all those features I need and don't need were set properly so I don't really need to compile it again right? Well nm I see you want me to have all new modules too. That's fine. I'll do it later today.

Last edited by John2583 on Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm just being complete.

Anyway, I have the 4.x drivers working and the only thing I changed from my 3.x setup was /etc/modules.d/nvidia and modules.autoload. Everything else stayed the same.

I don't see much of a difference FPS wise though in UT2003.
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQLBoy wrote:
Hey, I'm just being complete.

Anyway, I have the 4.x drivers working and the only thing I changed from my 3.x setup was /etc/modules.d/nvidia and modules.autoload. Everything else stayed the same.

I don't see much of a difference FPS wise though in UT2003.

That's fine, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and being so thorough.
magne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno if this helps, but the following is taken from the nvidia-faq..:

Quote:

Q: I recently updated various libraries on my system using my Linux
distributor's update utility, and the NVIDIA graphics driver no
longer works. What's wrong?

A: Conflicting libraries may have been installed by your
distribution's update utility; please see APPENDIX C: INSTALLED
COMPONENTS for details on how to diagnose this.

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-4191/README

maybe that'll help...
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I did all that and it still doesn't work. I compiled the kernel with all the arguments you suggested including the rm -rf and everything all on one line. it worked fine, and the new kernel seems to work ok. I think that I compiled the same kernel as I was using but that doesn't matter. cat /proc/pci showed that my video card was on the same bus and id as yours I added it to my XF86 config file. When I boot modprobe says it can't locate module nls_iso8859-1. I don't think this is related, but I thought I'd say it. Within /etc/modules.d/aliases there are two lines, alias char-major-195 nvidia and alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195 these are the same lines that are in /etc/modules.d/nvidia I think I added them by advice from someone in IRC a while back, I don't know if they are conflicting or not but I've tried X with them commented out and uncommented(neither work). I haven't messed with the nvidia file in the same directory. BTW do I need to run opengl-update nvidia everytime? I don't see it happen during the boot process(I've run it multiple times now just to see if would make a diff.). I was looking around in XF86Config I noticed that within the Files Section at the very bottom the module search path '"ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"' was commented out!! I thought I had figured it out, so I uncommented it but X still didn't work. Then i added a trailing forward slash to the path because all the other paths in this section had a trailing / in them like this 'ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/"' that didn't work either. I thought this would work for sure because in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions there is a link file named libglx.so that points to /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions/libglx.so. I also renamed the link file in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions to libglx.so.link and copied the actual file from /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions/ into /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/ but this didn't work either. I'm so close!!! This was long, but I think it's the only way, hopefully someone will see my mistake and point it out to me.
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip magne. According to the readme these files all must exist:
Quote:
Problems will arise if applications use the wrong version of a library.
This can be the case if there are either old libGL libraries or stale
symlinks left lying around. If you think there may be something awry
in your installation, check that the following files are in place
(these are all the files of the NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Driver Set,
plus their symlinks):
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o

I have this above one
Quote:

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.x.y.z
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so -> libglx.so.x.y.z

Mine is not setup this way. /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so -> /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions/libglx.so there is no /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.x.y.z (which would represent libglx.so.1.0.4191 I think)
Quote:

/usr/lib/libGL.so.x.y.z
/usr/lib/libGL.so.x -> libGL.so.x.y.z
/usr/lib/libGL.so -> libGL.so.x

mine aren't setup the same here either. /usr/lib/libGL.so -> /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1.0.4191 and /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1.0.4191
there is no libGL.so.1.0.4191 in /usr/lib/, it is in /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/ as you can see.
Quote:

/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.x.y.z
/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.x -> libGLcore.so.x.y.z

not the same either... I have a libGLcore.so, which it doesn't list as necessary. /usr/lib/libGLcore.so -> /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.4191
/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 -> /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.4191
Quote:

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/video/nvidia.o, or
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o

I have /lib/modules/2.4.20/vidieo/nvidia.o and not the last one, but that's ok supposedly. now, should I move all these files around so they have the exact same linking structure and are located where the readme suggests? That would be tough and easy to mess up, but I think I could do it, with lots of backups.
magne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had just the same problem untill now, when i added NVdriver to /etc/modules.autoload .. have you tried that?
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

err NVdriver is if your using the 3.x drivers. I did have those working fine a one point, then i built a new kernel and they stopped working. I decided I'd rather get the newer 4.x ones working instead. I wonder if there is something wrong with all these newer kernels that I'm making though.... ahh I'm considering reinstalling gentoo, but that is a last resort.
magne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, ok :-)
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: agpgart Reply with quote

dmesg shows agpgart isn't working properly.
Code:

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: unsupported bridge
agpgart: no supported devices found.

IS the Maximum main memory to map for AGP supposed to be for my Video Card? If so it's not set right, I only have 64MB.
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure if you mentioned it, but which kernel are you using? I beleive only the latest -ac tree linux kernel supports your mobo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: