View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mario
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: KDE ebuild collection Reply with quote

I would like to announce the creation of a project exclusively oriented towards abundance of KDE/QT software on Gentoo. It does not aim its inclusion in the portage tree and is rather experimental. The idea is to tie the kde and gentoo developer and user communities. It is a fair trade between the two, as gentoo's userbase can be used to promote applications which can be innovative but unknown to the world, and at the same time the gentoo userbase gains access to so many future hits without the hassle.
And since the ebuild system is the most convenient and easy way to port applications (ever!) I encourage you to join this small project. Write now, it is just static as I am the only person participating in it, but its own cvs repository can be created in the future. The current goal is porting as many apps listed on APPS.KDE.COM as possible. Unlisted KDE/Qt apps are also welcome. Later on, when this goal is approximately achieved, we can venture on to freshmeat.net. The software stability and functionality is not of importance, as only when a package becomes wanted by gentoobies will an attempt to merge it into the main portage tree be done. A project like this, fairly attended, can eliminate the hassle for porters to submit ebuilds to the portage maintainers.

If you still wonder why, let's look at the number of packages FreeBSD offers (7,000) as opposed to those Gentoo does (3,000). Many of the currently released apps will become a hit in the future, and by that time Gentoo will have them all, working and tested.

If you are interested, follow this link:
http://users.uk.freebsd.org/~radix/kef
mario
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Initial ebuild list Reply with quote

app-games:
kcheckers/

app-misc:
kdiff3/

app-office:
khacc/

app-sci:
kmovisto/ kturing/

media-sound:
kradio/

media-video:
mplayerplug-in/

x11-terms:
kuake/
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo mario.

i think that making available as many ebuilds for kde applications (and any applications) for gentoo is really a good idea, but i would really really question your reasoning for wanting a separate cvs setup for these ebuilds. you claim to want to avoid as much efforts on the portage maintainers. but don't offer your services to gentoo to be a gatekeeper for these kde/qt applications.

what a separate cvs repository effectively does is this:

1. duplicates effort creating ebuilds. might have better choice, but the end user just wants to install software. if you're holding ebuilds for kde apps and someone else wants it, chances are they'll submit it to portage through the proper channels (bugs).
- and/or -
2. alienate kde applications from portage. if the kde/qt applications again are being housed in a separate area, the mass users will not readily have access to them and will might be inclined to avoid those applications, finding something else to suite their needs.

again, i'm all in favour of getting as many applications in portage as possible. i just think the ebuilds need to be in portage where people can use them, not in a separate cvs repository.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another funny thing is at emerge kde depends on gtk... someone should probably fix that with proper USE flag usage.
mario
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: On the webpage I have linked... Reply with quote

On the webpage I have linked, it clearly states that anyone can submit these ebuilds to bugs.gentoo.org. I am checking to see noone has posted these ebuilds already. The only reason I am not trying to get these ebuilds into the portage tree is because this could cause portage pollution. If anyone ever uses those ebuilds they can confirm on how stable/working/correct they are. And again, if I myself truly feel one of these ebuilds needs to be entered into portage, I will do it myself. I haven't really done anything useful with them yet, since I started this yesterday.

Here is an updated list of ebuilds, I actually go through compiling and running these apps here, and my machine is a celeron 366 so it takes some time even with ccache (yeah, some of them I recompile so many times):
app-admin/kcmrandr:
DESCRIPTION="KDE Control Center Module for Resizing and Rotating the X Desktop"
app-doc/hk_docs:
DESCRIPTION="Documentation and tutorials for hk_classes and knoda"
app-games/kcheckers:
DESCRIPTION="Qt-based checkers boardgame"
app-misc/kdiff3:
DESCRIPTION="KDE utility for comparing/merging files and directories"
app-office/khacc:
DESCRIPTION="KDE enhanced frontend to the Q Home Accountant"
app-office/kpdfimport:
DESCRIPTION="PDF import filter for koffice"
app-sci/kmovisto:
DESCRIPTION="3D molecule viewer, editor and generator for use in quantum chemistry"
app-sci/kturing:
DESCRIPTION="Turing machine for KDE"
dev-db/hk_classes:
DESCRIPTION="Library for rapid development of database applications"
media-sound/kradio:
DESCRIPTION="KDE Radio Player"
media-sound/realrekord:
DESCRIPTION="RealPlayer(R) recorder and Live Radio Station database"
media-video/mplayerplug-in:
DESCRIPTION="Konqueror/Mozilla plugin that plays videos from websites via MPlayer"
net-analyzer/portscan:
DESCRIPTION="Port Scanner for the Qt-toolkit"
x11-terms/kuake:
DESCRIPTION="A Quake-style terminal emulator"
x11-themes/kbox:
DESCRIPTION="Native usage of blackbox/fluxbox/openbox styles within kwin (KDE)"
mario
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: kde and gtk Reply with quote

Lovechild: kdemultimedia also depends on ncurses (without using ncurses use setting) because of kmidi's ncurses interface.

however, i don't have a gtk dependency anymore, it used to show up in kdemultimedia and kdegraphics. Is your comment somehow related to any of the ebuilds I have posted? Or you are just expressing an overall opinion of the main kde ebuilds, which I guess you should address to Dan Armak (who's done a great job, nonetheless)
mario
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: One more interruption Reply with quote

All the gtk fuss comes because of kdegraphics:

newdepend="... \
media-libs/imlib \
... "

myconf="$myconf --with-imlib --with-imlib-config=/usr/bin"

which you can replace yourself by:

IUSE="$IUSE imlib"
(use imlib && myconf="$myconf --with-imlib --with-imlib-config=/usr/bin" ) || myconf="$myconf --without-imlib"

newdepend=" ... \
imlib? ( media-libs/imlib ) \
... "
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one small thing:
Don't use CVS to anything. It do not support firewalls in a very good manner. Everyone behind restrictive firewalls will not be able to access your CVS repository.

Why not use BitKeeper? (www.bitmover.com)
It handles firewall very well and it is still a free system even though it is not Open Source. It is used by an enormous amount of projects already and offers repository hosting for free.

Erik
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat :)
mario
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: NEWS Reply with quote

I have deviated from my project a bit and have done something I have always wanted to do. Once in a while this has been brought up and one would hear "no, that sucks, or it's nice but not too important so do it yourself". So I decided to do it.

I have started creating fully granular kde distro packages.The first one READY is kdegames. What does this mean? It means now by downloading and using them you are able to install only specific parts of the kdegames package you like. You can just install kdegames as usual and get everything, or install the specific packages you like or make use of the package specific use settings of the type use="nopackage1 nopackage2 ... nopackageN".

for example:

emerge ksokoban
will just install ksokoban

env use="noksokoban" emerge kdegames
will install everything but ksokoban

For the moment the ebuilds are only cvs, and I suggest you only try them if you have a cvs version of kdelibs and kdebase, though they may work without them. Also, the kdegames-5.ebuild is a replacement for Dan Armak's ebuild, and is now a metapackage.

It is fairly easy to change these ebuilds from cvs to release, by not inheritic kde-source and by specifying a SRC_URI. I would highly appreciate someone who would do that, as I would like to first do ebuilds for kde packages (i.e. kdenetwork is next)

Now, a developer idea: If you look through the ebuilds you may note the variable PARENT. It has no real use now, but it may have its future application. Mainly, some people would probably hate metapackages, a PARENT variable can prevent children packages to be listed at emerge -s or emerge -pu queries, if for example there exists a global variable show_children_level = n ( where n could be 0 if no children packages are to be listed, or a number which would indicate how many levels deep maximum to go into)

And for those who say I am duplicating Dan Armak's effort, I should say I read all his ebuilds to make sure all fixes and enhancements are transferred. Plus, he is the author of the cvs and kde eclasses which I use.

http://users.uk.freebsd.org/~radix/kef
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario:

That looks AWESOME, I would love to be able to kill all the apps I don't use in that way (and save compile time).

man that would rock.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Running cvs -q -f -z4 update -dP -rHEAD with anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde for kdenonbeta/kcmrandr...
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 275: cvs: command not found

This ebuild needs to depend on cvs to build
Ravage
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mario:
if you want, please add:

net-dialup/kisdnmon-0.97E (and the necessary server)
media-gfx/pixieplus-kde-0.5.2

:arrow:
http://www.darav.de/gentoo/index.html
mario
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

I just posted the isdn* ebuilds, however I am unable to bunzip2 the pixieplus one. Also, as I see pixieplus has an ebuild in portage, which is probably outdated. Why don't you post yours to bugs.gentoo.org?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok Reply with quote

mario wrote:
I just posted the isdn* ebuilds, however I am unable to bunzip2 the pixieplus one. Also, as I see pixieplus has an ebuild in portage, which is probably outdated. Why don't you post yours to bugs.gentoo.org?

I have an ebuild for the MKUltra window decoration pending in bugzilla, feel free to add it to your farm if you like.
Ravage
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

the pixie-tar is now fixed.

You're right, an old version is in portage. The ebuild for the new version is made of these...
mario
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

ok, I added the pixie plus one,
and now also kmail, knode, some packages from kdepim and kdegraphics and the entire kdetoys suite's contents are instalable individually with no code overlapping (to my knowledge). I fixed most bugs in kdegames, but some ebuilds need the final touches. Seeing some patterns will probably make me write an eclass for these ebuilds. KDE turned out to not be so modular after all, but can be made to be :-)
Also, I should note that in CVS HEAD kmail and knode have been moved from kdenetwork to kdepim (which took me a day to realize and wonder about their disappearance), and in 3.1 they will be still part of kdenetwork, so when I finish with the cvs builds and make 3.1 builds, a different metapackage will need to be installed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: