Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing Portage on Other Distros
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crichards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Installing Portage on Other Distros Reply with quote

MOD EDIT:Locked this one, but only because the discussion appears to have moved here. If anyone needs to edit their posts in here, drop me a PM. --plate

Yes, its possible. Yes, it works fine. I risked my perfectly stable Linux install to do this. And I'm still using it. Only its Gentoo-ified.

requires:

Python 2.2.x
    Development Packages (gcc, binutils, automake, autoconf, libtool, etc)
    Patience

Go to any Gentoo mirror, and download the portage tarball. Uncompress it, and go down.

Code:

cd bin/
cp * /usr/bin
cd ../pym
cp * /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages
cd ../man
cp *.1 /usr/man/man1
cp *.5 /usr/man/man5
cd ../src/missingos
./setup.py install
cd ../sandbox-1.1
make && make install
cd ../../cnf
cp * /etc
cd ..
cp make.profile/ /etc

You now have a basic working Portage installation. As root, emerge sync. This will install the Portage tree. Now, this is where you customise stuff. Go to /usr/portage/profiles, and copy in the proper profile for your install. If you're using gcc-3.2, use one of the 1.4 profiles (the one for your arch). If not, use default.

Now, edit your /etc/make.conf and add any USE variables you want. Read /usr/portage/use.desc for more information. If you use gcc-3.2, add COMPILER="gcc3" to your make.conf.

Now, if you try to emerge anything, it will really complain about dependencies. Simply do the following to get rid of glibc complaints:

Code:

emerge inject sys-libs/glibc-version.
emerge inject sys-devel/gcc-version

emerge anything, and it may or may not complain about tar. If it does, go to the requested line in ebuild.sh, and change all instances of --no-same-owner to --same-owner. Then emerge tar

Code:

emerge tar
emerge sed
emerge bash
emerge pmake
emerge sys-apps/baselayout
emerge portage

baselayout installs init. Read the Gentoo docs for more.

You should be good to go now. I emerged a new gcc and many of my system tools (if you emerge awk, emerge man and less, too)

I'll add more in a bit.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's... beautiful. I'll be stayinig with 'regular' Gentoo myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if a small but crazy gorup of LFS/portage users materialized.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've essentially described how to transform any linux system into a gentoo linux system... Hmm, what if we put this code into an architecture independent virus (sh script) and let it loose?
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhenlin wrote:
You've essentially described how to transform any linux system into a gentoo linux system... Hmm, what if we put this code into an architecture independent virus (sh script) and let it loose?

The only flaw with this being all the unmanaged files that exist on such a system BEFORE it's converted to Gentoo. Files from old versions of programs that don't get removed when the new versions get emerged. Sure the important things (executables) will just be overwritten, but a lot of junk is bound to be left laying behind... not to mention how the different distros (to some small extent) deal with placement of things on the filesystem.
scrllock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is why this works best with LFS, since you could install portage as part of the normal "install". Dang i love linux.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrllock wrote:
which is why this works best with LFS, since you could install portage as part of the normal "install". Dang i love linux.

Agreed. But if you're starting "from scratch" why not just install Gentoo period... as far as I can tell it's really the same thing but with automated scripts and a managed package system.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamer3 wrote:
scrllock wrote:

Agreed. But if you're starting "from scratch" why not just install Gentoo period... as far as I can tell it's really the same thing but with automated scripts and a managed package system.

former lfs user here. Agree with you dreamer3. But you'll learn A LOT more with lfs :wink:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darktux wrote:
former lfs user here. Agree with you dreamer3. But you'll learn A LOT more with lfs :wink:
Agreed. I've learned a LOT more just using Gentoo as opposed to any point-and-click install distro (Red Hat and Mandrake) and had a lot fewer unsolvable problems due to my increased knowledge of the system.

I'm sure that LFS would be even more so, of course the trade off it always time. I would guess Gentoo to be a good balance for a lot, hence it's popularity.
scrllock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, right now I'm running gentoo... Slowly working on installing LFS on a spare 5 gig partition. Its gonna be sweet.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrllock wrote:
Well, right now I'm running gentoo... Slowly working on installing LFS on a spare 5 gig partition. Its gonna be sweet.

What do you hope to gain with your LFS install?
TheMad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's portage working out for you now that you've had it for a while? Is there any weird stuff thats happening as a result of installing it on Slack. Reason I'm curious is that I'm about to install it on my LFS system which I just finished making and I'm wondering if I should be worried about all the old packages (not that I have all that many, as its a fairly fresh install).

TheMad
TheMad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've discovered a rather fatal flaw in your method of installation, namely that the make.profile folder does not exist, at least not in any portage tarballs I downloaded =\

TheMad
DooBeDooBeDo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
ls -l `locate make.profile`
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           37 2002-10-01 23:32 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-1.4

You may, of course, wish to create the link to one of the other profiles.
TheMad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have that profile anywhere on my computer. I am trying to install portage onto linux from scratch and my only other distro is Slackware. As such, I have no files particular to gentoo that aren't part of the portage-2.0.47 package.

TheMad
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one for people to ponder. I'm helping with Gentoo/Mips right now, but After seeing this thread, I suddenly gained a bright idea regarding the PS2 Linux port. Currently, it seems PS2 Linux is based on Kondara Linux, itself is based off of RedHat.

I was thinking, would this idea be usable to morph a PS2 Linux into a semi-hybrid Gentoo system? Part of it first requires gettong Gentoo to work on MIPS machines more, and from what I've seen, PS2 Still relies on a 2.2.x Kernel, which may make using an advanced distro somewhat difficult. The PS2 Linux site doesn't seem to have anything in the way of 2.4.x kernels on PS2 Linux systems, although a post from the xRhino team indicates they are working on 2.4.x, but that post was made in June of 2002.

Does anyone here have PS2 Linux, and have they considered running something more advanced than some Redhat-based system on it?

--Kumba
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumba wrote:
Here is one for people to ponder. I'm helping with Gentoo/Mips right now, but After seeing this thread, I suddenly gained a bright idea regarding the PS2 Linux port. Currently, it seems PS2 Linux is based on Kondara Linux, itself is based off of RedHat.

I was thinking, would this idea be usable to morph a PS2 Linux into a semi-hybrid Gentoo system? Part of it first requires gettong Gentoo to work on MIPS machines more, and from what I've seen, PS2 Still relies on a 2.2.x Kernel, which may make using an advanced distro somewhat difficult.
I don't think the 2.2.x kernel would be a big problem, since it's possible to run Gentoo with a 2.2.x kernel. The much bigger problem is that Gentoo doesn't really support the MIPS architecture, so there's no ~mips arch in Portage, so you'll have to make or modify existing ebuilds to get a workable system. I'm not sure what the difficulties in portig Gentoo to MIPS would be (heck, I don't know anything about MIPS except that it's Another Architecture), and I've heard about some recent attempts on the GWN, so you may want to check that out.
Gibberx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will make it easier to get Gentoo Linux running on Xbox! I still haven't modded my Xbox or anything, since my siblings got me Xbox Live service for Christmas I'm actually playing the thing now. And if I mod it, *poof* no more Xbox Live.
jjj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know what solutions can be used instead of Portage for installing packages on various Unix Platforms ? (i.e Solaris, IRIX, ....)
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjj wrote:
Anybody know what solutions can be used instead of Portage for installing packages on various Unix Platforms ? (i.e Solaris, IRIX, ....)
Hmm, installing packages on other Unices. I guess since there aren't likely to be binaries for your platform or a ports system like with Gentoo or FreeBSD you'll just be stuck building them by hand.
fu_fish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Portage w/o root Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to use this method on a machine where they don't have root access? I have a very fast machine at work and a very slow one at home. I'd love to find a way to build binary packages while I'm at work and then install these packages at home.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Portage w/o root Reply with quote

fu_fish wrote:
Has anyone been able to use this method on a machine where they don't have root access? I have a very fast machine at work and a very slow one at home. I'd love to find a way to build binary packages while I'm at work and then install these packages at home.
From the emerge manpage:
Code:
       --buildpkg (-b)
              Tells  emerge to build binary packages for all ebuilds processed
              in addition to actually merging the packages.  Useful for  main-
              tainers  or  if  you  administrate multiple Gentoo Linux systems
              (build once, emerge tbz2s everywhere).  The package will be cre-
              ated in the ${PKGDIR}/All directory.
If you combine that with whatever option keeps the package from being merged, as well as making sure that your packages get compiled with the flags for the slow machine (okay, this is looking increasingly difficult), you should be able to do it.

Ah, there we go, this has been treated before. Read this:https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=27214
crichards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using it for quite a while, and its worked perfectly. I am having some problems with Qt/Xft (I already filed a bug), but it doesn't seem to have been caused by Portage. Rather, by my infinite carelessness.

It should work fine everywhere. I have the HOWTO on my site now. I'm going to be reinstalling from a Gentoo CD (because my system is too stable, it needs to be beaten with a stick), so thats about it.
meteo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about NOT installing it in

/usr/bin, /usr/man, /usr/lib/python2.2, etc.

but rather

$GENTOO/usr/bin, $GENTOO/usr/man, ...

where (for example) GENTOO=/home/meteo/gentoo ? any possibility? I guess chroot won't do?

regards, m
drakos7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: what about redhat? Reply with quote

Anyone get this procedure to work under redhat? I cannot emerge anything. I keep getting the
Code:
all ebuilds that could satisfy "blah" have been masked.

And yes, I am root and I have tried ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86' also.
emarkham
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: emerge looks for missing emerge.sh Reply with quote

I followed the insructions to the letter and i've run into a strange error:

Code:

root@unamerican:/usr# emerge tar

aux_get(): (0) Error in sys-apps/tar-1.13.25-r1 ebuild.
               Check for syntax error or corruption in the ebuild. (--debug)

Calculating dependencies   
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "tar" have been masked.

!!! Error calculating dependancies. Please correct.
root@unamerican:/usr#

the funny thing is, when I run emerge in --debug mode, i get this weird error:
Code:

sh: /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: No such file or directory

Thinking that I was just missing this file, i went and looked for it on my Officially Sanctioned Install (tm) machine and lo and behold, the file does not exist there. I can't find this file anywhere, nor can i find it referenced anywhere in the .ebuild files.

at first blush, i'd say this is a bogus error. but what the heck do i know :-)

any help would be... helpful...

also, does anyone know why emerge would be complaining that all my .ebuild files are corrupted after doing an 'emerge sync'? The first sync completed correctly and if i nuke /usr/portage i am able to sync but after that, emerge complains.

thanks y'all
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: