View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: xfce4 ebuild? Reply with quote

Is there an ebuild for xfce4 laying around?
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: try this one Reply with quote

disclaimer: this is by no means a neat set of ebuilds. it works for me, it may not for you.

since xfce4 is broken into many different modules i broke up it up into many different ebuilds. is this the cleanest way? probably not, but i must say it is worth it. if you dont believe me, and i havent stopped using it, look here. don't mind the dead space.

because i split xfce4 off into its own portage dir (xfce-base), it requires some extra handling. if you just want it all, use the following command after extracting to your portage overlay directory.

Code:
emerge xfce-base/xfce4-cvs

thats it, the ebuilds will do the rest. i have yet to come up with some way to emerge them all again (since they are CVS ebuilds).

any comments, suggestions, recommendations on my ebuilds would be greatly appreciated. if you have a better way of handling all these ebuilds, or would think they should all be in a single ebuild, let me know. i am still learning in this respect, so please be patient.

hopefully you will enjoy it as much as i have.

https://drones.mine.nu/atom/xfce4-cvs-ebuilds.tbz2

:roll:
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: xfce4 ebuild? Reply with quote

Great :D And for the comments... So far... I did an emerge xfce4-base/xfce4-cvs and it complained about no ebuild for dev-libs/libdbh. This was easy to fix. I just edited the ebuild for dbh by changing the dependency of dhb from libdbh to dbh which is the actuall name of the ebuid. So far it's compiling. Thanks for getting this started. I hope to learn how to create ebuilds too. Can you give me some pointers as to how to create ebuild. I guess I need an ebuild for dummies.
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: xfce4 ebuild? Reply with quote

manny15 wrote:
Great :D And for the comments... So far... I did an emerge xfce4-base/xfce4-cvs and it complained about no ebuild for dev-libs/libdbh. This was easy to fix. I just edited the ebuild for dbh by changing the dependency of dhb from libdbh to dbh which is the actuall name of the ebuid. So far it's compiling. Thanks for getting this started. I hope to learn how to create ebuilds too. Can you give me some pointers as to how to create ebuild. I guess I need an ebuild for dummies.

yeah. i forgot that i renamed the dbh library because its not really called libdbh. i'll make sure to fix that on my end.

i read the gentoo dev docs to find out about working on ebuilds. then i started looking at ones that already exist. i by no means know it all, but i can at least get stuff installed.

let me know what you think of xfce4. currently i'm using it and like it. the only thing i really miss from openbox is the ability to scroll desktops...
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love xfce4! It doesn't take hours to load like KDE and is quite visiually appealing. It looks and functions a lot better than xfce3. I don't know what you mean by scroll desktops but maybey it's similar to how you can display two workspaces at the same time in enlightenment. I know in xfce4 you can move a window to another workspace dy dragging it off the screen (I think you have to configure it to do so). The good thing about the ebuild is that dhb installs properly so maybe I could use xffm now (I've been installing xfce4 in my home dir). By the way, thanks for the tips on ebuilds!
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by scroll desktops, i mean a flick of the mouse wheel while over blank desktop takes you to the next or previous desktop. if you want to see what i mean, other wm's such as openbox and windowmaker support it. i guess i've gotten used to right clicking on the desktop and switching to another. i'm not really one for pagers.

i updated my tbz with the fixed xffm ebuild and included a short bash script for updating the whole xfce4 suite of modules. the script is called updatexfce4. (go figure) 8) the script should work just fine for doing a fresh install.....

i should have included this link last time.

also, i am using the following method of starting up in my .xsession
Code:
xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xfdesktop &
exec xfce4-panel
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I'm testing the updatexfce4 script now. I like the fact that it waits till you hit "y" to continue. One thing I noticed in the ebuilds os that it contains xfdestopmenu which is actually not being used much anymore. I think you should only have the xfdesktop ebuild. I know xfdesktopmenu is more "advanced" but I think it's no longer supported. And according the to xfce4-dev mailing list, editable menus for xfdesktop are on the way.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xfce4-panel-cvs-4.0/work/xfce4/themes'
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/xfce4-panel-cvs-4.0/work/xfce4'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `AUTHORS', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xfce4-panel-cvs-4.0/work/xfce4'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xfce4-panel-cvs-4.0/work/xfce4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: xfce-base/xfce4-panel-cvs-4.0 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 39, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

This is what I get...
I'll fix this when I'm at home, it's a upper/lowercase error...
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manny15 wrote:
Great! I'm testing the updatexfce4 script now. I like the fact that it waits till you hit "y" to continue. One thing I noticed in the ebuilds os that it contains xfdestopmenu which is actually not being used much anymore. I think you should only have the xfdesktop ebuild. I know xfdesktopmenu is more "advanced" but I think it's no longer supported. And according the to xfce4-dev mailing list, editable menus for xfdesktop are on the way.

yeah, i think i agree with you about xfdeskmenu. according to the mailing list xfdesktop now has an editable XML file for the menu. i have yet to play with it. i'll go ahead and remove it from xfce4-cvs and the update script, but i see no reason to delete the ebuild in case someone wants to use it.

zypher, is this a problem in the ebuild or in the CVS source? i am continuing to compile with no problem. i dont really claim my box to be a good test box though, since i do have a lot installed.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already fixed it.
It had to do with the fact that my DISTDIR variable pointed to a vfat partition.
And there the cvs-stuff did not work as desired...
I think I'll open a bug for this.
Back to XFCE. It looks quite nice, comes with quite a lot of new themes and so on. The thing I miss (from my first five-minutes-test) is an autohide-function for the panel.
On my laptop's 14" space is precious ;)
Apart from that, I'm impresed by the speed and the looks.
Of course you could always discuss about several aspects of the whole (e.g. if xffm is of any use at all) but in general what I see is very promising.
I'll keep up with the development and check the cvs-tree frequently.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my first quetions:

Does anybody know, if the panel supports dockapps?
I couldn't find any hint but would love to include a volume-control and so on...

How do I configure keys?
I've noticed there are some useful combinations defined, but that's not enough ;)

The taskbar does not work, anyone got this working?
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the panel doesn't support dockapps. At least not the kind used in WIndowMaker or GNOME for that matter. You may be able to create a "dockapp" though because the pager, system buttons, and the clock are from my understanding plugins of some sort. I'm not sure if these "plugins" are dynamic or not though. By dynamic I mean they are compiled as libraries and then loaded by the panel. They may be just compiled in. As for the taskbas, it works for me. By doesn't work I'm assuming you got it to compile but it just won't run. You have to launch it in the background. Here's a sample of my .xinitrc
Code:

xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xfdesktop &
xftaskbar4 &
exec xfce4-panel

Both xfdesktop and xftaskbar need the & (run in background). Now, if the process is actually running properly and you just can't see the taskbar, it may be that it's hiding. By default it displays along the top border of the screen. Move your mouse up there and see if it pops out. Another problem is that you could have gotten "bad" sources from cvs. It happens since it's in development. Try getting the sources again and installing. :D
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have made keys themeable as well. check out

Code:
/usr/share/xfwm4/themes/default.keys

i just tried out copying that directory to test.keys and it showed up in the window manager settings under keyboard. it seems that you have to name the dir foo.keys in order to get it to work. hopefully that will help out some.

as far as the taskbar goes, every time i have run it it has worked. i dont run it by default though because i'm using xinerama and it seems a bit excessive for the taskbar to take up the whole bottom of the screen for a couple programs. i feel the right click on xfdesktop to be just as useful.

i haven't played with docking much. i'm running gkrellm2, but it doesnt work in the dock mode (-w). i agree it would be nice to be able to put a windowmaker dock in there, even though i dont use docks much.

so far i am impressed and still using it for my desktop. i have been shutting my system off at night due to a desire to save some money on power, and when i boot it up each day the first thing i run is the update script and then startx.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, er... I now have a taskbar too.
The point is to start it.
;)

I checked out the keythemerc in default.keys and it's nice to see it's readable and easy to modify.

Next thing is the configuration of mouse buttons.
Is there a way? I'd like to change the root menu to appear on right-click and the workspace manu on middle-click...
Beforegod
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly Question..

how can i change Themes for xfwm4 only..
I did what i've read in the readme but it doesn't work..

Some help please ;)
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "changing xfwm4 theme only" I'm assuming you don't want to change the gtk2 theme. All you do is right-click on the panel, select settings manager... A dialog box will show with a list of "modules", select window manager. The themes are listed along the left side 8O
Beforegod
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have xfwm4 running on a gnome 2.2 system..
so i have to edit a config file..

But i haven't found a ~/.xfce4/settings/xfwm4.xml file..
when someone can send it to me ;)
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my xfwm4.xml
Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE mcs-option SYSTEM "mcs-option.dtd">

<mcs-option>
        <option name="Xfwm/BoxMove" type="int" value="0"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/BoxResize" type="int" value="0"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/ButtonLayout" type="string" value="HT|C"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/ClickToFocus" type="int" value="1"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/DblClickAction" type="string" value="maximize"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/FocusNewWindow" type="int" value="1"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/FocusRaise" type="int" value="1"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/KeyThemeName" type="string" value="default.keys"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/RaiseDelay" type="int" value="250"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/RaiseOnClick" type="int" value="1"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/SnapToBorder" type="int" value="1"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/SnapWidth" type="int" value="10"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/ThemeName" type="string" value="fbx"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/TitleAlign" type="string" value="left"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/TitleFont" type="string" value="Comic Sans MS 12"/>
        <option name="Xfwm/WrapWorkspaces" type="int" value="1"/>
</mcs-option>
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ebuild.....

I had already installed it from cvs and then accidently did a "rm -rf /usr/local" :oops: Thank gawd I am not using redhat/suse/mandrake ;) otherwise I would be ...well you get the picture...your ebuild had me up and running again in know time...

anyone know how to get the keyboard recognized correctly for terminals(xterm, gnome-terminal) under xfce4- every key works fine except for the greater than/less than key which with alt-gr produces the pipe symbol(I have a german keyboard)-I only have this problem in xfce4...

can I safely assume that one cannot run xfdeskmenu and xfdesktop at the same time ?

here's a screenshot: http://iwbcman.homelinux.org/xfce4-cvs+gtk2_apps.html
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, I`m getting the following error when trying to compile this... I've deleted all the cvs files 3 times in the hope that it was a corrupted download. No luck.

config.status: creating libs/Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating plugin-mcs/Makefile
config.status: error: cannot find input file: plugin-mcs/Makefile.in
cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status config.h
config.status: creating config.h
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/xffm-cvs-4.0/work/xffm'
Making all in scramble
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/xffm-cvs-4.0/work/xffm/scramble'
Makefile:218: .deps/scramble.Po: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `.deps/scramble.Po'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xffm-cvs-4.0/work/xffm/scramble'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xffm-cvs-4.0/work/xffm'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: xfce-base/xffm-cvs-4.0 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 40, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

Anyone spot the mistake?
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... did you post that to the mailing list?
I can't help you there but the advice to leave out xffm.
(It's not that great anyway, I'd rather use xfe.)
Just edit the line that emerges all the packages and delete xffm-cvs.
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
Thanks for the ebuild.....

I had already installed it from cvs and then accidently did a "rm -rf /usr/local" :oops: Thank gawd I am not using redhat/suse/mandrake ;) otherwise I would be ...well you get the picture...your ebuild had me up and running again in know time...

anyone know how to get the keyboard recognized correctly for terminals(xterm, gnome-terminal) under xfce4- every key works fine except for the greater than/less than key which with alt-gr produces the pipe symbol(I have a german keyboard)-I only have this problem in xfce4...

can I safely assume that one cannot run xfdeskmenu and xfdesktop at the same time ?

here's a screenshot: http://iwbcman.homelinux.org/xfce4-cvs+gtk2_apps.html

Hi man, I just wanna ask ya a question about the gtk`s theme from your screenshot :-)
I mean the theme of gedit/evolution and the others...look fine, what is it?

Regards

MACPRO machine...
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: try this one Reply with quote

atom wrote:
disclaimer: this is by no means a neat set of ebuilds. it works for me, it may not for you.

since xfce4 is broken into many different modules i broke up it up into many different ebuilds. is this the cleanest way? probably not, but i must say it is worth it. if you dont believe me, and i havent stopped using it, look here. don't mind the dead space.

because i split xfce4 off into its own portage dir (xfce-base), it requires some extra handling. if you just want it all, use the following command after extracting to your portage overlay directory.

Code:
emerge xfce-base/xfce4-cvs

thats it, the ebuilds will do the rest. i have yet to come up with some way to emerge them all again (since they are CVS ebuilds).

any comments, suggestions, recommendations on my ebuilds would be greatly appreciated. if you have a better way of handling all these ebuilds, or would think they should all be in a single ebuild, let me know. i am still learning in this respect, so please be patient.

hopefully you will enjoy it as much as i have.

https://drones.mine.nu/atom/xfce4-cvs-ebuilds.tbz2

:roll:

Cool :-)
Just a small remark:

I think you need to edit the src_compile function as following:
Code:

src_compile() {
    ./configure --prefix=/usr || ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr

emake || die
}

At URL http://members.home.nl/jbhuijsmans/xfce4-cvs.html#get is explainded:
Quote:

If there are errors, try to run ./autogen.sh instead of ./configure. In that case you need to have automake, autoconf and libtool installed. If this doesn't work please report to the xfce mailing list: xfce4-dev@moongroup.com

Good job, have you tried to make a single ebuild?

MACPRO machine...
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'Artagnan,

SphereCrystal
Spheres and Crystals SVG theme

http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/theme.php

:lol:
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
D'Artagnan,

SphereCrystal
Spheres and Crystals SVG theme

http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/theme.php

:lol:

Thanks, how did u installed it? There is no ebuild

MACPRO machine...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: