View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danarmak
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: ANN: split kde ebuilds Reply with quote

Hi all -
I hereby officially announce the split KDE ebuilds for 3.4.0_beta1. More info is here.

Apologies to all of the people who tried to emerge the variously incomplete or broken versions that were in portage yesterday. Importing 350 ebuilds and 3 eclasses and a forest of deps isn't easy, so I did it piecemeal. If anything is still broken, bug us.

Enjoy! There's still a lot to be done, but the split ebuilds are already at least as good as the monolithic ones.

made sticky --Earthwings
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm compiling right now. :D
Just wanted to say a big thanks to all those involved. This has probably been a lot of work, but it's really appreciated.
Kagerato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. I particularly despised the monolithic ebuilds, so it's wonderful to see such an enormous undertaking as this functioning so quickly.

Thanks to all who contributed.
WladyX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will install 200 individual packages and then want to remove them,you will have to emerge unmerge pack1 pack2....pack200, right? I mean will there be something like emerge unmerge kde?
Gaspode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you did emerge the 200 packages with 'emerge kde-meta' then you could probably do 'emerge -C kde-meta && emerge --depclean' to get rid of them. If you emerge the packages manually, then you would need to remove them from the world file first...

<OT>
But I also would like to see some option in portage to unmerge a packages together with all the dependencies it installed (preferably with some way to choose). Unmerging has some flaws anyway, since there is no dependency check whatsoever and it is relatively easy to break your system unmerging critical packages... ok, there is revdep-rebuild, but still it would be nice to have some way of checking deps before unmerging a package...
</OT>

Anyway, the split ebuilds work great, I emerged KDE 3.4-beta1 two days ago and everything went smoothly except for some minor bugs that are already fixed by now (well, that's the price to pay for testing development versions ;-)). Thanks to Dan and the rest for all the work, it is very much appreciated!
WladyX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your OT: I definetly agree, i also have the same opinion, but it must be an OPTION, it should not be "by default" to remove the dependencies as well.
MasterX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of having one ebuild for a program. Before, I had to use the DO_NOT_COMPILE option because I did not want to install some programs. But, the problem is now that I do not know which subprograms I need to install. For example, I see that there are 18 different ebuilds for Kate. I am just wondering which ones do I need to install? Why did you make 18 ebuild for a single program? Would not it be better if we had one ebuild for Kate (one ebuild for each program).
Now we have one ebuild for each subprogram.
I believe this means extra work for the developers and it will drive us crazy.
Maybe a good idea would be to have a Kate-meta ebuild for the novice users.
WladyX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, they should be split, but not that much or we will end up with package-devel, lib-package, package-something (like the RPM, based distros (no flame, just my subjective opinion)). One thing that made my choose Gentoo was that that compiling a package you had the whole package, not just a part of it.
Gaspode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's what dependencies are for. When I installed KDE 3.4-beta1 recently, I went through the list, adding the programs I need to the 'emerge' command line, and the necessary dependencies (in particular the various lib* packages) where pulled in automatically. As for the kate ebuilds, I think the additional packages just add some submodules, and that's a good thing. I don't edit python files, so why would I want the kpybrowser module? Similarly, I never use konqueror's sidebar. So I left out konqueror-sidebar. Makes the whole thing smaller and faster. In fact, KDE 3.4-beta1 installed from the split ebuilds boots considerably faster than KDE 3.3.2, even though I installed a lot of packages. Maybe the reason is just that KDE now supports some new gcc options (such as visibility=hidden), but I think that leaving out unneeded plugins and extra-libs and so on also contribute to the beta loading faster.

By the way, why are all the beta ebuilds masked? Are they (that much) less tested than the alpha1 ebuilds? I would understand masking 3.4 completely before the release, but masking the betas and leaving the alphas does not seem like the right thing to do...
MasterX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaspode,

You are right. If you do not write in python why to install the module. But you need to know what each ebuild is for and this means that the developers have to explain to the novice users what each ebuild is used for.
Moreover, having all these ebuild makes the dependency check a little harder. Take for example Kdevelop. Kdevelop can be used to program in python, but in order to do this you need to install Kate and the necessary modules. If Kdevelop's configure script allows you to install Kdevelop without python support then the developers need to include this in the ebuild. If they have not or if Kdevelop's configure script does not have this option then you have to install Kate and the proper module. So, what is the need for this ebuild if you can not avoid its installation?
Finally, how long would it take you to install the modules and how long to install Kate itself?
thought_poet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have broke freetype:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=280310

If not then I'm sorry, but its still broken currently so it should be checked out.
jhgz1
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea and implementation of the split ebuilds, however one thing really bothers me:
When I want, for example, to emerge all of kde-meta and am not running a ~x86 but define the packages in /etc/portage/packages.keywords (and /etc/portage/packages.unmask) then it really becomes a drag to enter several hundred apps here and there.
anybody have some cool ideas on this?
dannycool
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhgz1:
ls /usr/portage/kde-base | awk '{ print "kde-base/"$1" ~arch" }' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

:twisted: :P
Gaspode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterX wrote:

You are right. If you do not write in python why to install the module. But you need to know what each ebuild is for and this means that the developers have to explain to the novice users what each ebuild is used for.

Code:

[~] # emerge -s kate-kpybrowser | grep Desc
      Description: python browser plugin for kate

Of course, this is still not optimal for novices. But they can just do 'emerge kdebase-meta' as with the monolitic ebuilds...

Quote:

Moreover, having all these ebuild makes the dependency check a little harder. Take for example Kdevelop. Kdevelop can be used to program in python, but in order to do this you need to install Kate and the necessary modules. If Kdevelop's configure script allows you to install Kdevelop without python support then the developers need to include this in the ebuild. If they have not or if Kdevelop's configure script does not have this option then you have to install Kate and the proper module. So, what is the need for this ebuild if you can not avoid its installation?

Yes, that's certainly a concern, but kdevelop, I think, is an extreme example as well, since it has so many features depending on external tools (just look at what the ebuild outputs at the end). Over time though I think the dependencies of these tools can be refined. And of course it's much better to just depend on kate-kpybrowser than to rely on the whole kdesdk or whatever package kate's python support used to be in.

Quote:

Finally, how long would it take you to install the modules and how long to install Kate itself?

Don't know exactly what you mean by that... I think the total time for me to emerge kate with the for me necessary modules was less than the compile time of the complete kate subdir back in the old-style ebuilds. I don't need python support, or xmltools, or the kjswrapper. So I don't need to compile them. And my kate is less bloated than it used to be, and loads faster.

Of course, with the advent of confcache everything will be even better... and for know, I think it just needs some time for ebuild maintainers to refine the dependencies.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The split ebuilds and KDE 3.4 are very cool so far, great job!

[edit] Finally, KDE is stripped-to-the-bone, Debian-style, FAST 8O

Last edited by AlterEgo on Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
MasterX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaspode,

I know that in the end is going to be much better and much faster than the monolithic version of the ebuilds. I really like the idea, I do not want to install programs that I will never use them. I just believe that having ebuild for each module is going to greatly increase the amount of work for the developers.
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to know what the easiest way to make the switch would be? I figured just a `emerge kde-meta` and then manually remove packages I don't want as I figure them out; but obviously the split packages are blocked by my currently existing install of KDE (3.4beta monolithic; at the time I installed they hadn't even masked the split ebuilds so I didn't know they were "ready").

Obviously I *could* remove my existing KDE, and then work from there but I don't want to leave my box unusable (from a graphical standpoint) for more than neccisary.

Edit: Yeah, obviously I don't have to install kde-meta, I can just install the meta package for every kde section I've actually got (since I don't use things like kde-edu and such); but is removeing my existing kde package and then installing its split-meta clone my only option for now?
crs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

First question. Can i put here bugs report and questions about meta-ebuilds? If no please delete this post.

Ok. in emerge knode i get two error:
One: akregator must be merged after libkdenetwork (or libkdepim, i don't remeber now).
Two: in knode get error:
Code:

# LC_ALL=en_EN emerge knode
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) kde-base/knode-3.4.0_beta1 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) kdepim-3.3.91.tar.bz2
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Extracting from tarball...
tar: kdepim-3.3.91/configure.in.bot: Not found in archive
tar: kdepim-3.3.91/AUTHORS: Not found in archive
tar: kdepim-3.3.91/COPYING: Not found in archive
tar: kdepim-3.3.91/INSTALL: Not found in archive
tar: kdepim-3.3.91/NEWS: Not found in archive
tar: kdepim-3.3.91/ChangeLog: Not found in archive
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Symlinking library libkdepim under /usr/kde/3.4/lib/ in source dir
Symlinking library libkpinterfaces under /usr/kde/3.4/lib/ in source dir

!!! ERROR: kde-base/knode-3.4.0_beta1 failed.
!!! Function kde-meta_src_unpack, Line 321, Exitcode 1
!!! Can't find library libkmime under /usr/kde/3.4/lib/
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

What may be wrong?

And next thing. kde-i18n require kdebase ;/
I comment that dependency and kde-i18n install succesfull without kdebase (non meta ebuild).
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the errors, it looks like your kdepim archive is corrupt / incomplete / fusked; probably on the packagers end (not faulting them I imagine they've got a lot to deal with).
crs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i emerge now libkmime. But here is bug i think - please add this to dependency maybe? I don;t know. Maybe will be work now.

[edit]
After merge libkmime, knode is good work. Broken dependencies? [/edit]
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the 3.3.2 split kde-meta ebuilds some months now, and it works flawless :)
This is really nice, i've waited a long time for kde split ebuilds to get into portage.
crs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one more problem. I use konqueror. I want configure in konqueror flash, but can't set plugin path. I have not there option in konqueror configure options. What i have to install to be could use flash?
cron0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! :D

Thanks to all that made this possible!

Cron0
sim0nx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i try to emerge kmail i get this error:

Code:

# emerge kmail
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 25) kde-base/libksieve-3.4.0_beta1 to /

!!! ERROR: kde-base/libksieve-3.4.0_beta1 failed.
!!! Function deprange-list, Line 441, Exitcode 0
!!! deprange(): unsupported parameters 3.4.0_beta1 3.4.0_beta1 kde-base/kdelibs - BASEVER must be identical
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

what can i do about that?
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannycool wrote:
jhgz1:
ls /usr/portage/kde-base | awk '{ print "kde-base/"$1" ~arch" }' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

:twisted: :P

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the ebuilds or not, but after doing what you posted here for package.keywords and package.unmask, running emerge -uDav world.. well.. let's just say it's been an hour and it's still not done calculating dependencies. Suggestions?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: