View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Xorg - Module Load Failure Reply with quote

Well X has decided to annoy me in ways other than giving me "No Devices Detected" now. Now, it's a Module Load Failure

Code:
[12:43] [root]  /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg -configure

X Window System Version 6.8.0
Release Date: 8 September 2004
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-rc4-love1 i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux Gentoobox 2.6.9-rc4-love1 #2 Wed Nov 24 19:33:11 EST 2004 i686
Build Date: 08 December 2004
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Dec 11 12:43:26 2004
X Window System Version 6.8.0
Duplicate symbol __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a:bitmapmod.o
Also defined in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a

Fatal server error:
Module load failure

Not quite sure what's happening here:
Code:
Duplicate symbol __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a:bitmapmod.o
Also defined in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a

Code:

emerge -pv xorg-x11

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r3  -3dfx +3dnow +bitmap-fonts -cjk -debug -dlloader -dmx +doc -hardened -insecure-drivers -ipv6 +mmx +nls +pam -sdk +sse +static* -xprint

Code:

emerge info
Portage 2.0.51-r8 (default-linux/x86/2004.2, gcc-3.4.3, glibc-2.3.4.20041102-r0, 2.6.9-rc4-love1 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.9-rc4-love1 i686 Unknown CPU Typ
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.7
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.4 [2.3.4 (#1, Jun  4 2004, 17:18:40)]
distcc 2.18.2 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [enabled]
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.8.5-r2, 1.6.3, 1.9.3, 1.5, 1.7.9
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.2-r7
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -msse -mmmx -m3dnow -funroll-loops -fprefetch-loop-arrays -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -msse -mmmx -m3dnow -funroll-loops -fprefetch-loop-arrays -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distcc distlocks sandbox sfperms"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow X aalib acpi alsa apm avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cdparanoia cdr crypt cups cyrpt directfb doc encode esd ethereal f77 fam fbcon flac foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imagemagick imlib java jikes jpeg junit kde kerberos ldap libg++ libwww mad mikmod mmx motif mozilla moznoxft mpeg nas ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis ooo-kde opengl oss pam pdf pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline samba sdl slang spell sse ssl static svga tcltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype usb vim-with-x x86 xine xml2 xmms xv zlib"

I've gone through the obvious stuff that I normally know to check, but since this is my first time with a Module Load Failure with X, I've quickly run out of ideas.[/code][/code]
sfp-a7x
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43177

I've hit the same problem. Not sure exactly what the fix is though (I can't quite follow what people are saying in the bug's comments).
ck42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it going....somehow. For you and myself (if I ever have to reference back to this in the future), I rebuilt xorg-x11 with USE="static".

Weird thing is, static was already in my USE listing. But.....I did absolutely *nothing* between trying to fire up X and getting an error and rebuilding xorg with Static.

When it comes to XFree/Xorg, I'm starting not to care anymore what the fix is. I'm just growing very weiry of X related issues. Why is something as fundamental as X so often such a PITA?
kmarasco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Hardened or not hardened gcc profile Reply with quote

I was able to resolve this problem that is the result of compiling xorg with a hardened gcc profile. It looks like they have fixed this in xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4. But this may not solve your issue if you do not wish to use a hardened profile.

I found an issue with gcc-config where the hardened gcc profile is referenced even after changing to the vanilla gcc configuration. The problem is that no GCC_SPECS parameter is set in "/etc/env.d/gcc/xxx", where xxx is your vanilla gcc profile. If you add the following:
Code:
GCC_SPECS="/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/vanilla.specs"

to the end of your environment settings and then change to the vanilla gcc profile using gcc-config, you should be able to compile xorg fine.

Don't forget to env-update after making the edit and again after using gcc-config.
sfp-a7x
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hardened or not hardened gcc profile Reply with quote

kmarasco wrote:
It looks like they have fixed this in xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4.

I tried unmasking x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 and emerging it, but it didn't help.

However, I've read elsewhere that compiling with the "dlloader" USE flag should make this problem go away (without having to resort to compiling with the "static" USE flag). I'm trying it out right now (with -r4). I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
kmarasco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hardened or not hardened gcc profile Reply with quote

sfp-a7x wrote:
kmarasco wrote:
It looks like they have fixed this in xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4.

I tried unmasking x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 and emerging it, but it didn't help.

Did you try my suggestion about fixing the bug in gcc-config. That worked for me 2 times now; an emerge -eD world overwrote my initial fix.
jeffix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I'm no gcc techie so wouldn't have figured that alone ;)
The system is re-emerging xorg right now, however I have 2 more questions :
- my gcc is 3.3.4 not 3.4.3 and xorg-x11-6.8.0-r3 not r4, I assume you're in the ~x86 branch ? If so is unmasking any of both necessary to fix the problem as you propose ?
- I also emerged the ati-drivers package (for a Radeon X300 card), could this be related to the failure or prevent your fix to operate ?
Just in case it'll have failed again when I'm back home tonight... thx again.
kmarasco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you change the path to point to the correct gcc, I think that you will be OK. Make sure that the vanilla.specs file exists since I can't confirm that it does for your version of gcc. So in your case probably:

"GCC_SPECS="/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/vanilla.specs"

Otherwise, your xorg version and gc version shouldn't matter. Nor should the video driver. The problem is that you've been compiling xorg with a hardened gcc profile... surprised me too... and you need to tell gcc to use the vanilla profile.
jeffix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearly that :
GCC_SPECS="/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/specs"

strange enough, though, since that one is the only gcc profile I've got in my tree...
I'll let you know in a few hours ;o)
jeffix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that brought me my X server :) Makes other people much more happy at home :lol:
Though I have still compilation problems with the splashutils, I noticed, but it's on another thread (Portage&Prog)
Thanks a lot !
kmarasco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that your up and going. If by any chance you upgraded to gcc 3.4 in this process or simply upgraded to a more a new subversion of gcc, this thread might help your compilation problems.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=265374&highlight=kdemultimedia
CyberNinja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem. When I installed my system I used SElinux with hardened gcc from stage1-x86-selinux-pie-ssp-20041123. How do I switch to a vanilla gcc profile. When I run 'gcc-config -l' it only shows one profile. Also I do I have to remove selinux from my use flags. I am guessing that I have to add "-pie -pic bitmap-fonts dllloader" to my use flags. Is this correct? I have been looking around the fourms and have tried using xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 but have not had any success because I am using nvidia's drivers. Also how do I use gcc-config to change my gcc profile?
kmarasco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberNinja wrote:
I am having the same problem. When I installed my system I used SElinux with hardened gcc from stage1-x86-selinux-pie-ssp-20041123. How do I switch to a vanilla gcc profile. When I run 'gcc-config -l' it only shows one profile. Also I do I have to remove selinux from my use flags. I am guessing that I have to add "-pie -pic bitmap-fonts dllloader" to my use flags. Is this correct? I have been looking around the fourms and have tried using xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 but have not had any success because I am using nvidia's drivers. Also how do I use gcc-config to change my gcc profile?

I'm away from my Gentoo box, so I'm only guessing, but I believe that you can probably remove the selinux stuff from your use flags and recompile your system "emerge -eD world" to get back to a vanilla profile. Not sure if you need the "-pie -pic bitmap-fonts dllloader" stuff. I think that this is used to make a hardened program a bit less hardened, but since you are wanting to go vanilla, this is probably not required; I don't have it anywhere.

What version of gcc are you running?
wim-x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: lose the hardened use-flag Reply with quote

I've had the same problems as above. Emerged xorg-x11 6.8.0-r3 and the x-server wouldn't start.First time compiled with USE="hardened doc ipv6 mmx nls pam sse". This compile gave me the the libbitmap.a error. I followed the advice from this topic and added the "dlloader" USE flag.

This worked but followed into a new problem, the x-server couldn't find the right device drivers/modules, and it didn't start again. (sorry for the missing error-logs).

Then I read elsewhere on this forum that the hardened USE flag could be the cause of the error. The topic suggested to recompile gcc, glibc and xorg-x11 without the hardened use-flag.

I did it, and it worked.

Code:
bash-2.05b# emerge info
Portage 2.0.51-r3 (default-linux/x86/2004.3, gcc-3.3.4, glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1, 2.6.9-gentoo-r9 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.9-gentoo-r9 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r5
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1
Binutils: sys-devel/binutils-2.15.90.0.1.1-r3
Headers:  sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.21-r1
Libtools: sys-devel/libtool-1.5.2-r7
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CyberNinja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running gcc 3.3.4. I don't want to go back to a vanilla install, I would like to continue using selinux.
I tried USE="-pie -pic -selinux -hardened" in my use flags but I am still running into problems loading the nvidia drivers.
I know that this can be solved by using a vanilla gcc to compile the xorg server but don't know how to switch to a vanilla gcc and then back to hardened gcc.
This way I will only have one package with out a hardened build. Is this possable?
Hauser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberNinja wrote:
I know that this can be solved by using a vanilla gcc to compile the xorg server but don't know how to switch to a vanilla gcc and then back to hardened gcc.
This way I will only have one package with out a hardened build. Is this possable?

$ gcc-config --help

Do I like to compile everything?
Positive definite!
CyberNinja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I type "gcc-config -l" it only shows me one profile. I installed from a stage1 selinux-pie-ssp install so I don't have a vanilla gcc proflie, atleast I don't think that I do. I would like to be able to switch to a vanilla profile to compile xorg and then back to a hardened profile.
kmarasco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the optional profiles may be generated with gcc 3.4.x, but can't confirm that they did not exist ender gcc 3.3 since I've got gcc 3.4 on all my boxes at the moment.
egberts
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffix wrote:
nearly that :
GCC_SPECS="/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/specs"

strange enough, though, since that one is the only gcc profile I've got in my tree...
I'll let you know in a few hours ;o)

Everytime I edit the /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-linux-pc-gnu file to include the GCC_SPECS and then do a 'emerge -eD world', the changes is gone.

Just took out the 'hardened' from the USE and trying it again.
kmarasco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egberts wrote:

Everytime I edit the /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-linux-pc-gnu file to include the GCC_SPECS and then do a 'emerge -eD world', the changes is gone.

Forgot about that. I had the same problem, which sucks if you are emerging several programs because after gcc emerges your right back to where you started unless you emerge gcc by itself and then fix the gcc environment file again. I added the /etc/env.d/gcc folder to my config protect variable to hopefully prevent this problem in the future.
ColeSlaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmarasco wrote:
as long as you change the path to point to the correct gcc, I think that you will be OK. Make sure that the vanilla.specs file exists since I can't confirm that it does for your version of gcc. So in your case probably:

Otherwise, your xorg version and gc version shouldn't matter. Nor should the video driver. The problem is that you've been compiling xorg with a hardened gcc profile... surprised me too... and you need to tell gcc to use the vanilla profile.

Thank you so much, this fix worked wonderfully for me. dlloader and static do nothing. I can't believe I recompiled xorg that many times before finding this...
tokugawa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

kmarasco wrote:

Thank you !!!!!!!!!
geezzzzzz 5 hours about that bug I fixed it that way
Code:
cd /etc/env.d/gcc
cp i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-vanilla
vi i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-vanilla # added good GCC_SPECS
gcc-update # select GOOD F***** PROFIL

It helped in xorg and xdesktopwaves (good small test i suppose :P) AND mplayer !!! GREAT, gentoo works again :P

Thanks, and please made that thread sitcky. I almost installed debian because of this bug
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recompiling xorg-x11 this very moment with the fixes proposed in this thread.

I noticed one thing: After setting the right profile with gcc-config and adding the GCC_SPECS to the environment variables, gcc --version still outputs the following:
Code:
$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.3 20041125 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.3-r1, ssp-3.4.3-0, pie-8.7.7)
(blabla)

... indicating that ssp and pie are still included (ssp+pie=hardened). Is this for real, or is it just something that gcc feels like writing? Are they actually disabled? Can somebody who has it working put their gcc --version here?

- Simon
ColeSlaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cossins,

Here is my output:

Code:
minsc cbrodine # gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 *
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednopie
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednossp

minsc cbrodine # gcc --version
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

tokugawa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is my
Code:
y@tenwheeler ~ $ gcc-config -l
[1] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.3
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednopie
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednossp
[6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-vanilla *
y@tenwheeler ~ $ gcc --version
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

So i think yes.. it shows ssp & pie compiled in - not enabled, but it works here
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: