View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Quick Question: partition schema for a 60G disk? [done] Reply with quote

Dec 3, 2004, Edit:
With Cuber's suggestion (Big thanks to Cuber!), I finally came up with this partition schema. The biggest thing that I have learnt is: Only separate /tmp, /var from root for mission critical servers. Keep as less partitions as possible if you only want a workstation.

There is no one-to-fit-them-all schema, keep it simple for a start, and then keep learning. Always be ready to do it again from scratch, you know you sure can do it better then! Finally, you will come up with a schema that suit the best to your needs! :D

Thank you everyone and sorry for my poor English :lol:

Dec 1, 2004, Edit:
1. The 2nd title for this post is: Can I install winxp on /dev/hda15?
The answer seems to be no!! It seems that winxp refuses to be installed on an extended partition, crap... correct me if I'm wrong :) Then, could it installed on a primary partition which is on the very end of a disk? I don't know... please tell me if you're sure about this :)
2. Here is my new question: What's your suggestion about the partition schema of a single 60G ide disk? (It links to the end of this thread, please scroll to the blue font part of that post:)

Nov 29, 2004, Edit:
1. The previous title for this post is: Will fixmbr screw up my partition table? The answer is no :)
2. After doing some research, I figured out that it's not a mbr problem, so I changed the title to the current one: Can I install winxp on /dev/hda15 (an extended partiton)? Need more suggestions, TIA!

Hello everyone!

Need your suggestion now :D

For some reasons (gaming & my girlfriend asks me to...), I have to make some space for intalling winxp from my currently gentoo only box.

I have some free space which was previously used for stage4 backup testing. Now I have sliced 5G from the very end of the disk and would like to put winxp there.

Here is my partition layout:

Code:

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60040544256 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7299 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2              14        7299    58524795    5  Extended
/dev/hda5              14         138     1004031   83  Linux
/dev/hda6             139        1384    10008463+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7            1385        1509     1004031   83  Linux
/dev/hda8            1510        1759     2008093+  83  Linux
/dev/hda9            1760        1890     1052226   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda10           1891        4501    20972826   83  Linux
/dev/hda11           4502        5747    10008463+  83  Linux
/dev/hda12           5748        5760      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda13           5761        5823      506016   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda14           5824        6553     5863693+  83  Linux
/dev/hda15  *        6554        7298     5984181    e  W95 FAT16 (LBA)

Command (m for help):

That the winxp is planning to be put in /dev/hda15.

When I boot from the winxp install CD, select the /dev/hda15 (well, it's "C:" in winxp now...) trying to install winxp there, the process hangs and says something like: winxp wants to write something to the MBR, however, it seems that the MBR does not contain a "standard" master boot record, please delete that partition (MBR) and retry...

I'm very sure that why xp complains about this, because grub is there. I've searched through the forums and found the following threads say going to the winxp recover console & run the fixmbr might help (fixmbr will remove the grub's master boot record, then the winxp's bootloader might step in):

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=236325&highlight=fixmbr
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=249470&highlight=fixmbr

Then, I booted from the winxp install CD again & go to the recover console, I ran the fixmbr command, then it said it might ruin my current partition table... That scares me to quit!

So here is my question:
Will it screw up my partition table and lost my linux partitions of gentoo?

Any tips?

Thanks in advanced! :D

Last edited by EricHsu on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with the mbr thing, but I have to ask: What's with all the partitions? Here's my setup:
Code:
Disk /dev/hdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 155061 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *           1          58       29200+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb2              59         306      124992   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb3             307      155061    77996520   83  Linux

Seems a lot more effective to me...
SysOP XXL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixmbr will overwrite your GRUB, but shouldn't touch the partition table itself. Yet, I personally wouldn't trust it, so if you go for it, make sure to write down your current partition table now, with all the starting and ending clusters (printing the list in your post is more than enough).

You can then restore your partition table from a LiveCD with fdisk, by deleting every partition and manually adding them again with the exact clusters, as the data itself won't be harmed by changing the partition table.

BTW, I don't know what filesystem you'll use, but the type ID of FAT32 is 'c', it would be one step closer to set /dev/hda15 to that earlier.

When your seXP install is complete, you can reinstall GRUB by booting the LiveCD, chrooting into your Linux install, and invoking

Code:
grub-install '(hd0)'

IIRC. (I've been using LILO since my first Gentoo install)
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixmbr from the windows CD should just replace grub and nothing more.
But the more important question and I'm not sure , but can windows even be installed on to hda15? I thought it had to be a primary partition, is it?
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuber wrote:
Can't help you with the mbr thing, but I have to ask: What's with all the partitions?

Well, I've been learning & looking for a better (IMO) partition schema, here are what they for:

Code:

/dev/hda1    /boot        100M (Well the size from my redhat era... should be shrunk to less than 50M & use ext2)

/dev/hda5    /            1G (I'm going to separate the /opt to a partition so it could be smaller, and I could install more big things like doom3-demo in /opt)

/dev/hda6    /usr         10G (going to separate the /usr/portage to a partition for better portage management)

/dev/hda7    /tmp         1G (during oracle installaion, it needs to write tons of temp data here)

/dev/hda8    /var         2G (going to be shrunk to around 1G, I don't run services like mail server or so)

/dev/hda9    swap         1G (That's what oracle 9iR2 required.. though I don't have oracle in my gentoo now, maybe someday I need it again.. going to be shrunk to 512M)

/dev/hda10   /home        20G (Big enough for home use :) I'm used to download big divx videos here)

/dev/hda11   /share       10G (Well, lots of mp3 goes here, mine & my sister's)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# The following partitions were used for my stage4 backup test

/dev/hda12   /boot        100M
/dev/hda13   swap         512M
/dev/hda14   /            about 12G (now sliced into /dev/hda14 & /dev/hda15)

The following is what my df -h shows:

Code:

nkbit@gentux ~ $ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda5             966M  294M  623M  32% /
none                  126M  168K  126M   1% /dev
/dev/hda6             9.4G  5.9G  3.2G  66% /usr
/dev/hda7             966M  562M  355M  62% /tmp
/dev/hda8             1.9G  327M  1.5G  18% /var
/dev/hda10             20G   12G  7.5G  61% /home
/dev/hda11            9.4G  6.4G  2.7G  71% /share
none                  126M     0  126M   0% /dev/shm

1. The /'s size is not enough, I'm unable to install doom3-demo under /opt, that's why I need a separate /opt;
2. /usr's sizeis quite suitable! Once I have a separate /usr/portage, it could be shrunk a little
3. /tmp's size is quite suitable!
4. /var is too big, should be shrunk to 1G or even less. Having a separate var is quite important if you have services like mail server running, some services keep writing tons of log to /var, if you let /var in the same partition with your /, once it eats up all of your space, your system will never be able to boot...
5. /home is quite suitable!
6. /share, well, maybe I will give it more space :)
7. notice that I put my swap between /var & /home? It's said that if you have only one harddisk like me, & want to get the best performance out of it when doing swapping, you should put the swap in between the most reading/writing partitions, that will greatly reduce the physical movement of the ... don't know what it is, the pin (?) inside the hd to read/write data...). IIRC, /var is read/written frequently (correct me if I'm wrong :)), and then is my /home. So I put swap between them.

I'm going to re-partition my whole hd & start from stage1 again (once the xfce4 is released:)), my linux/gentoo knowledge/experience is improving, that's why I'm always looking for making a better system from scratch so that I can apply what I have learned :)

edit: better looking format...
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SysOP XXL wrote:
Fixmbr will overwrite your GRUB, but shouldn't touch the partition table itself. Yet, I personally wouldn't trust it, so

Hi SysOP XXL, I found something interesting from MS' website:

Quote:

However, running fixmbr overwrites only the master boot code, leaving the existing partition table intact. If the corruption in the MBR affects the partition table, running fixmbr might not resolve the problem.

Caution

* Use this command with care because it can damage your partition table if any of the following apply:
o A virus is present and a third-party operating system is installed on the same computer.
o A nonstandard MBR is installed by a third-party disk utility.
o A hardware problem exists.

I'm scared by the "nonstandard MBR is installed by a third-party disk utility"... Doesn't MS always treat 3rd party technology as "nonstandard"??...

Quote:

if you go for it, make sure to write down your current partition table now, with all the starting and ending clusters (printing the list in your post is more than enough).

You can then restore your partition table from a LiveCD with fdisk, by deleting every partition and manually adding them again with the exact clusters, as the data itself won't be harmed by changing the partition table.

Sorry for my poor english (not quite sure of the meaning of "printing the list in your post is more than enough"), do you mean that I've already backup'ed my partition table in my previous post? So if dear fixmbr screws things up, I could just re-partition my hd with the values in the post and everything will work fine again?

Quote:

BTW, I don't know what filesystem you'll use, but the type ID of FAT32 is 'c', it would be one step closer to set /dev/hda15 to that earlier.

The type ID is 'e' :), well, I didn't touch it, it changed while I tried to install xp in /dev/hda15... and again... I didn't quite catch the meaning of this sentence "it would be one step closer to set /dev/hda15 to that earlier." :oops:

Quote:

When your seXP install is complete, you can reinstall GRUB by booting the LiveCD, chrooting into your Linux install, and invoking

Code:
grub-install '(hd0)'

IIRC. (I've been using LILO since my first Gentoo install)

Yes! As I remembered, just grub-install will work? Correct me if I'm wrong :) There is another way to reinstall GRUB:

1. boot with a linux rescue CD or live CD like knoppix
2. run grub
3. then in the grub prompt:
Code:

grub> root (hd0, 0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

If there is no error, grub will be back~
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASIO_BOB wrote:
fixmbr from the windows CD should just replace grub and nothing more.
But the more important question and I'm not sure , but can windows even be installed on to hda15? I thought it had to be a primary partition, is it?

ASIO_BOB, I found something interesting from MS' website, pls take a look at my post above this one :)

The reason I posted the question here was: I would like to confirm that if someone here has ever used fixmbr without problem :)

I searched through the forums and I recall that some of the posts say that winxp could be install in extended partition, not quite sure too~

Well well, I'm going to fixmbr myself! I've backup'd the most important data several days ago, so, not much thing to worry about! Bye guys! Please bless me, thank you all! :lol:
Daemonax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick your girlfriend in the teeth and tell her to accept that you won't put shit on your box :)
The God idea is growing more impersonal and nebulous in proportion as the human mind is learning to understand natural phenomena and in the degree that science progressively correlates human and social events. -- Emma Goldman
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used fixbmr, it replaced the lilo with the MS boot program (ie normal "windows boot" method.

No ill effects
SysOP XXL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricHsu wrote:
I'm scared by the "nonstandard MBR is installed by a third-party disk utility"... Doesn't MS always treat 3rd party technology as "nonstandard"??...

Your partition table is standard. But this is exactly why I said I don't trust MS.

Quote:

Sorry for my poor english (not quite sure of the meaning of "printing the list in your post is more than enough"), do you mean that I've already backup'ed my partition table in my previous post? So if dear fixmbr screws things up, I could just re-partition my hd with the values in the post and everything will work fine again?

Yes, exactly :) Printing it out is unneccessary if you can access the Internet from the LiveCD.

Quote:

The type ID is 'e' :), well, I didn't touch it, it changed while I tried to install xp in /dev/hda15... and again... I didn't quite catch the meaning of this sentence "it would be one step closer to set /dev/hda15 to that earlier." :oops:

Nevermind, I just remembered a little fight I had with winME after a similar slicing you're doing. If seXP created it with type 'e', then no problem.

Quote:

Yes! As I remembered, just grub-install will work? Correct me if I'm wrong :) There is another way to reinstall GRUB:

1. boot with a linux rescue CD or live CD like knoppix
2. run grub
3. then in the grub prompt:
Code:

grub> root (hd0, 0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

If there is no error, grub will be back~

That is supposed to work too. :)

Good luck ;)
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha! I'm back!

What I did:

1. boot with xp install CD, go to the recover console, fixmbr! reboot without anything in the CD-ROM - booting system failed, fine!
2. reboot with a linux rescue CD, run:
Code:

# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

3. reboot without anything in the CD-ROM, there it is: the grub splash screen~~

so here is the conclusion:
1. xp install CD's fixmbr is safe (at least to me:))
2. grub can be easily re-installed :)

to Luineancaion:
NO~ I'll get killed before my foot could even reach her, she's kind of Kung Fu master... :lol:

to ASIO_BOB
Yes yes! fixmbr is not that evil at all :)

Well, still, I can't get xp installed, the installation still hangs where I said in my 1st post, I'm going to figure out what the problem is... I'll come back later, thank you all :)
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! It still hangs!

Here are what I did:

1. boot from the xp install CD (grub is still on MBR)

2. go to the partition selecting screen & select the partition 12 which is actually /dev/hda15 (all the partitions are marked - "unknow")

3. press enter to install on partition 12 (/dev/hda15)

4. the install CD tells me this (directly translate from Chinese):

Quote:

To intall Windows XP on the selected partition, the installation program needs to write some boot files to the following disk:

57256 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

However this disk doesn't have any Windows XP compatible partitions. To continue the install, please return to the partition selecting screen, and create Windows XP compatible partitions on the disk. If there is no space available on the disk, please delete the existing partitions and create a new one.

5. OK, I thought it was the grub & MBR's problem, then I reboot to xp's recover console, run fixmbr, then reboot to the partition selecting screen again & press enter on the partition 12 (/dev/hda15), step 4's info shows up again!

6. OK, I though it might be the partition fs' problem, since it's marked as "unknown" to xp, so, I formated the /dev/hda15 to FAT32 with "mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hda15", reboot...

7. Now in the partition selecting screen again, the partition 12 (/dev/hda15) is marked as "FAT 32", ok, I select it & press enter... NO LUCK! step 4's info shows up again!!

8. I reboot the system with a linux rescue CD & reinstall grub & boot into gentoo to write this post... :'(

So here are my questions:
1. What's wrong with my installation?
2. Is it possible to install xp like this - on a extended partiton /dev/hda15 ? Or, do I have to install xp on a primary partition?

Any tips would be great help, TIA!!
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WinXP Pro absolutely had to have the hda1 partition, otherwise it complained.

My partition table is:

Disk /dev/hda: 122.9 GB, 122942324736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14946 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 1275 10241406 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2 1276 14946 109812307+ 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 1276 12461 89851513+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda6 12462 12468 56196 83 Linux
/dev/hda7 12469 12485 136521 82 Linux swap
/dev/hda8 12486 14946 19767951 83 Linux

hda1 is winXP
hda5 is a large ass FAT32 disk for all my storage (mp3, movies, essays)
hda6 is my /boot
hda8 is my /

There's no way around it, I believe.
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris27 wrote:
My WinXP Pro absolutely had to have the hda1 partition, otherwise it complained.

There's no way around it, I believe.

Why, why windows xp is so *** (don't know which english word to use!)...

Does it insist to install on the begining of a hd or a primary partition would be ok?

If it requires only a primary partition, as my current partition layout, is it possible that I 'force' the /dev/hda15 to be a primary partition or resize my /dev/hda2 (which contains /dev/hda5 - /dev/hda15 logical partitions) extended partition to shrink to the end of /dev/hda14, so that I could spare the space of /dev/hda15, and make it a primary partition like /dev/hda3 with fdisk. Is this possible & how?
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it needs the first primary partition.

And no, what you want is probably not possible, unless you have a disk somewhere that you can backup everything on and start fresh with this disk.
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SysOP XXL wrote:

Nevermind, I just remembered a little fight I had with winME after a similar slicing you're doing. If seXP created it with type 'e', then no problem.

Hi, SysOP, do you mean you ever got WinME installed with a similar slicing like mine? Did you install in on an extended partition?
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris27 wrote:

And no, what you want is probably not possible, unless you have a disk somewhere that you can backup everything on and start fresh with this disk.

Well, I think I have read some post mentioned that someone got his/her xp installed on a 2nd primary partition (he/she let the 1st one for linux' /boot), not sure...

I'm going to search more info & will keep posting if I know more about this :)
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricHsu wrote:
Cuber wrote:
Can't help you with the mbr thing, but I have to ask: What's with all the partitions?

Well, I've been learning & looking for a better (IMO) partition schema, here are what they for:
[snip]

The thing about putting swap in between there sounds plausible, but I still don't see the point in separating the rest. It only lowers performance. The area where most data is read/written will automatically end up in the same physical area if you had only one partition (aside from boot and swap). All your "this partition is too small but this one is fine"-problems would go away if you put it all on one. So what if oracle needs a lot of tmp-space? That doesn't mean you need tmp to be a separate partition.

I could be wrong here. If so, please enlighten me.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris27 wrote:

No, it doesn't... it's wombling along happily on hda2 on my machine. I think hda1 is active, not that it matters when you're using Grub.

I have heard that it has to be a primary partition. Haven't tested it on an extended - but it sounds likely to me, especially considering how badly Windows handles multi-booting. And to think it's actually better at it than DOS/9x/ME :roll:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest.

That is probably the worst partitioning scheme I have ever seen.

I read your explanation and boy...

I have installed a gazillion oracle database, but I have never needed a separate partition for temp space just in order to install Oracle. I guess it goes more on understanding and using *nix than anything else.

It's easy to give Oracle more space for temp, just use the TEMP environment variable. You can also use a file as temporary storage if your original temp partition was too small. Instructions on how to do this is even in the Oracle Installation Guide, but I guess you never bothered to read it?

The only result of the mis-partitioning you have showed here is an administration headache and I guess you have started to realize this.

My best advise is:
1. backup all partitions with data you need.
2. Repartition your disks, use as few partitions as possible. I prefer using one-to-one disk to partitions except for the first disk which have a boot partition in addition to the root partition.
3. restore data.

Erik
kroz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe winXP has to be installed in the first ~8.5 GB (ie: the 1024 cylinder barrier) or at least the boot information has to be before that mark.
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm back again :)

I finally ended up with installing that crappy xp in vmware... that eats up lots of my precious 256M RAM, I can't afford to run vmware under gnome, whenever xp starts, my poor disk goes crazy doing tons of swap... well, at least I have e, once I need to use xp, I just go to e & run vmware, much better.

When trying to get vmware to work, I found that /etc/init.d/vmware didn't work properly. The 1st time I configured the vmware with the /opt/vmware/bin/vmware-config.pl, vmware ran smoothly. The next time I booted my box and try to get vmware services work with "/etc/init.d/vmware start", some services didn't start properly, then, vmware kept complaining about "not being properly configured" and refused to run. Then I had to run /opt/vmware/bin/vmware-config.pl to re-compile kernel module & re-configure to get it run again..

It seems to be a problem with vmware & udev (I'm using pure udev without saving device nodes).

After doing some search through the forums, I found the solution to this:
1. The first time you get it work with vmware-configure.pl, then just use it;
2. The next time you boot your machine, to get vmware work, you first need to start the vmware services by running "/etc/init.d/vmware start". Before doing this, edit the /etc/init.d/vmware and add the following line to the start() function:

Code:

start() {
        # create device nodes for udev
        if [ ! -e "/dev/vmnet0" ]; then
                mknod -m 600 /dev/vmnet0 c 119 0
        fi
        if [ ! -e "/dev/vmnet1" ]; then
                mknod -m 600 /dev/vmnet1 c 119 1
        fi
        if [ ! -e "/dev/vmnet8" ]; then
                mknod -m 600 /dev/vmnet8 c 119 8
        fi

[...]
}

3. Run the "/etc/init.d/vmware start" and everything should work perfectly!

Hope this is useful to someone :)

About the partition schema:

to Cuber & ebrostig:

First of all, I must say I'm very new to linux partition schema, that's why I said "I've been learning & looking for a better (IMO) partition schema" :oops:

And the partition layout you're looking at, it's the second time I tried to "make things better". Before switching to gentoo, I had been using redhat/fedora for around half and a year. I used to have three partitions: /boot, swap and /. Until fedora core 2 (or 1... didn't quite remember...) was out, I decided to re-install my system & started trying to "make things better"...

I had searched the web and read some doc like this one:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/

And came up with a partition schema that I though: well, looks "better"...

When I switched to gentoo, I guess I had done some slightly tweak and ended up with the current partition layout you're looking at...

Now you know why it looks so ugly and that's why I've decided to start everything from scratch again and yes - try to make things better again. That's what we call it "learning", isn't it? :D

ebrostig, it was about one year ago the first time I tried to install oracle under linux. I was a totally n00b of both, hehe... When I knew more about oracle & linux, the partitions were already there.

Thank you very much for your advise! :D
However, I'm a little bit confused now, as you said "use as few partitions as possible", but the gentoo handbook and the tldp docs seem to have some different suggestions:

1. Gentoo Handbook: Designing a Partitioning Scheme
2. tldp: Linux Partition HOWTO

So here comes my another question:

What's your suggestion about the partition schema of a single 60G ide disk (Maxtor)?

Some info/requirement:
. CPU: Athlon Thunderbird 1.3G, RAM: 256M SDR (more than 2 year old machine...)
. For home usage, no more than 3 accounts needed
. The only DE/WMs I would like to install: gnome-light 2.8, xfce 4.2, e17 (I'll wait... :)
. Java/Eclipse development
. Multimedia entertainment (big divx videos, several G of mp3)
. Gaming. I'm not a very big fan of games, but I do play some very small & big games: frozen-bubble, kof in xmame, quake3. And I would like to give doom3-demo a try on my poor hardware :)
. Services I would like to run: (1) postfix for sending email from evolution; (2) vsftp, might need it for my friends to access my files or share files with me (should I use samba instead? I'm connecting to the internet via adsl, I have public ip address, however, some of my friends don't, like my girlfriend, she's using LAN in school, any suggestion too?)
. I want to get the fastest performance out of my current hardwares! I would like to use filesystem like reiser4, and I want a fastest gentoo I could ever had!
. Well, I'm going to give winxp 5G space too, vmware is too slow for my machine...

Any suggestion would be warmly welcome!!
Dud3!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read this whole thing so maybe this has been said, use fat32 or NTFS, you can't use FAT16 I don't think (like it shows in your first post). How I would do it is delete that partition, leave the free space, and let windows make it's partition and format it (quick format!).
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kroz wrote:
Maybe winXP has to be installed in the first ~8.5 GB (ie: the 1024 cylinder barrier) or at least the boot information has to be before that mark.

Not sure.. I've tried to enable the LBA mode in bios, no luck at all...
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dud3! wrote:
I haven't read this whole thing so maybe this has been said, use fat32 or NTFS, you can't use FAT16 I don't think (like it shows in your first post). How I would do it is delete that partition, leave the free space, and let windows make it's partition and format it (quick format!).

Yes, I'd tried to format /dev/hda15 to fat32 with mkdosfs under linux, and the xp install program even recognized it, however, it just refused to be installed on that partition.

I'd ever tried to delete that partition, and do as you say - let windows make it a partition (the result was the fat16 info displayed in fdisk..), but whenever I tried to "press enter" on the partition (even created by winxp installation program itself), it said it could not be installed. I didn't even can see the format option...

Well, it seems that winxp just refuses to be installed on an extended partition... don't know what to say... :evil:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: