Can't boot new gentoo install on a ppc (pismo laptop)[HELP!]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustproxy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Can't boot new gentoo install on a ppc (pismo laptop)[HELP!] Reply with quote

I'm having difficulty getting a new installation of gentoo to boot correctly. I'm using a Macintosh G3 Powerbook 400mhz (a 'pismo') Everything goes okay, it loads the kernel and starts booting, but at the end I get this message:

Code:
 Mounting proc at proc/...
* Mounting sysfs at /sys...
can't create lock file /etc/mtab~774: Read-only file system (use -n flag to override)

* Mounting devpts at /dev/pts...
* Starting devfsd...
/sbin/rc: line 280: /sbin/devfsd: No such file or directory

* Activating (possible) swap...
* Remounting root filesystem read-only (if necessary)...
* Checking root filesystem...
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/hda4 is mounted.
fsk.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
/dev/hda4/:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock

* Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

And I can't do anything except go into freaky maintenance mode.

Here's my yaboot.conf:

Code:
boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci@f2000000/mac-i0@16/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:
partition=4
root=/dev/hda4
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.9
   label=linux
   read-only

Here's my fstab:

Code:
/dev/hda3            none         swap   sw                     0 0
/dev/hda4            /            ext3   noatime               0 1
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0   /mnt/cdrom   auto   noauto,user            0 0

none                  proc         proc   defaults               0 0
none                  /dev/shm      tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec   0 0

Here's my partition map (using mac-fdisk):

Code:
        #   type                 name         length size         system
/dev/hda1   Apple_partition_map Apple         ...    ( 32.0k)   Partition map
/dev/hda2       Apple_bootstrap bootstrap      ...    (800.0k)   NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda3       Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap         ...    (512.0M)   Linux swap
/dev/hda4       Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root         ...    (  5.5G)   Linux native

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=12685680
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

(I have omitted the length/base fields, they're a pain to type :-)

Any light anyone could shed on this would be greatly appreciated! This is the second time I've installed gentoo on this machine (the first time I got the same errors and figured I made some mistake during install, so I started over) and I'd love to get it working :-)

Last edited by dustproxy on Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
dustproxy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well, it still isn't working, and I've tried a bunch of things. Can anyone help me out? Pretty Please? :mrgreen:
dustproxy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so when I boot into my defunct install and enter the root password for maintainance, and then I go into /dev, hda or hda1/2/3/4 don't show up. Should they be there?
BWoso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you make your /dev/hda2 partition for boot correct? What file system did you make this? You need to have a line in your /etc/fstab which looks something like this:
Code:
/dev/hda2               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1
the ext2 part may be different depending on what file system your /dev/hda2 is. Try adding this line and see what happens.

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.
-Mark Twain-
dustproxy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried adding a /boot line to fstab, but I don't think it helped, the same errors registered. I think that on a PPC you don't need to specify /boot. Thanks for the help though BWozo :D

I'm begininning to think that, for some reason, when I boot from the LiveCD it thinks my main HD is /dev/hda, and when I boot from my installation it thinks it's something else.
BWoso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna start stabing in the dark. . . Did you configure your kernel or did you use genkernel? I am almost sure you need the /boot line in your fstab, so I would leave it in there. Can someone check his boot loader config? I have no experiance with Yaboot. Are you sure that when you make your file systems you used the file systems that you have in your fstab? I'll try to think of some more questions.

-Mark Twain-
dustproxy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I configured the kernel myself, and as far as that goes, I'm pretty sure that I got everything file system related (of course, I'm a total newbie, and my first kernel didn't have keyboard support). Is there a way for me to go back and check to make sure that I selected all the options that I need? I'm pretty sure that I got all the right options, like ext3 support and all that. It's *possible* that if there was some sort of non-intuitive IDE bus option that I needed, I might have skipped it.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need a /boot on a PPC, the guide said to leave it out. My /dev/hda2 isn't a real boot partition (not like I have any idea what a real linux boot partition is :wink:) It's something that gets read before linux even gets into the picture, and it supplies some info on where the kernel is, and stuff like that.

I *think* I did everything right, as far as the install guide goes. The thing that makes me think so is that I've done two installs so far, and I had the *exact* same problems with the first install that I've had with the second install (well... minus the whole ADB keyboard support fiasco) I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't make the same mistake twice, but you never know...

Does it mean anything that when I boot from my install /dev/hda/1/2/3/4 don't exist? When I go into maintainance mode it's mounting *something*, using mount tells me that I've got /dev/root mounted as /, when I would expect /dev/hda4 to be mounted as /
tat2drod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't boot new gentoo install on a ppc (pismo laptop)[HE Reply with quote

[quote="dustproxy"]I'm having difficulty getting a new installation of gentoo to boot correctly. I'm using a Macintosh G3 Powerbook 400mhz (a 'pismo') Everything goes okay, it loads the kernel and starts booting, but at the end I get this message:

[code] Mounting proc at proc/...
* Mounting sysfs at /sys...
can't create lock file /etc/mtab~774: Read-only file system (use -n flag to override)

* Mounting devpts at /dev/pts...
* Starting devfsd...
/sbin/rc: line 280: /sbin/devfsd: No such file or directory

* Activating (possible) swap...
* Remounting root filesystem read-only (if necessary)...
* Checking root filesystem...
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/hda4 is mounted.
fsk.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
/dev/hda4/:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock

* Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):
[/code]

And I can't do anything except go into freaky maintenance mode.

[/quote]

You're not the only one with this problem. I've got it too.

My Gentoo R1.4 install works on the play iMac (400MHz G3, 64Mb,
lots of disk space, swap etc.) but is a bit old. Since I wanted to
play with some new stuff for a project or two I thought I'd upgrade.

Mistake.

I've tried lots of stuff and nothing works. The Universal CD
install gives me the same problem as mentioned above on the
reboot (and any subsequent boot). I've tried ext2, ext3, reiserfs,
jiggling yaboot.conf, fstab etc. etc. etc. all with no success.

I even went the emerge route to upgrade the 1.4 system, same
problem.

As far as I can see, things in the installation look ok. My
configs seem the same as yours (partition numbers excepted
and that I added the root parm onto the image statements).

I'm at a loss.

Rod
Tuna
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a bug with devfsd, or it is not correctly installed.. or an old version. try to dig in that direction. without devfs working /dev/hd* wont be able to get mounted properly. another shot may be to try emerge udev. i made good experiences while using udev instead of devfsd.
dustproxy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to emerge udev, but is there anything else I need to do? Like take out devfsd or do any configuring?
BWoso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure all you need to do to use udev is to emerge udev and make sure you have udev support in your kernel. I'm not on a Gentoo box so I'm not 100% sure that is correct, but I am pretty sure I remember seeing udev in the kernel somewhere.

-Mark Twain-
dustproxy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried emerging udev (I did enable support for it in the kernel), but sadly, it didn't work, same errors as before. I'm sort of thinking that I might try an easy to install distro (like debian), and check out how it configures its self for my machine.
Kevin72594
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you make sure you're using udev instead of devfs?

To use udev you just need to emerge it and take devfs support out of your kernel, then while you're booting it should say "configuring for udev support" or something along those lines. That should at least get rid of one of your errors.

I'm only thinking this may be the problem because you said you were getting the same errors, but the errors should have at least changed a little bit. If you could post the new error message it would be nice also! Good luck!
tat2drod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dustproxy"]I tried emerging udev (I did enable support for it in the kernel), but sadly, it didn't work, same errors as before. I'm sort of thinking that I might try an easy to install distro (like debian), and check out how it configures its self for my machine.[/quote]

I tried it as well, following the instructions on the Gentoo page - you have to remove the option saying to automount devfs at boot time as well as a couple of other things.

This got me further! It booted the system!!

Unfortunately I then couldn't login!!!

Playing around with the pam.d files changed the error messages but I still can't get in. However it looks like this release is so totally messed up that it's not worth playing with. Maybe the release back is better?

Rod
dustproxy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tat2drod wrote:
Playing around with the pam.d files changed the error messages but I still can't get in. However it looks like this release is so totally messed up that it's not worth playing with. Maybe the release back is better?

Rod

That's actually one of the things that's made this problem so hard to diagnose. I searched the forums pretty thouroughly, and it seems like there are lots of similar problems. None of the answers that fixed other problems worked for me though, so it might just be differant problems manifesting similarly.
tat2drod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustproxy wrote:
That's actually one of the things that's made this problem so hard to diagnose. I searched the forums pretty thouroughly, and it seems like there are lots of similar problems. None of the answers that fixed other problems worked for me though, so it might just be differant problems manifesting similarly.

Hmmm... One of the other forum entries says to remove the contents of /etc/pam.d/ and then emerge shadow and pam-login.

This works for me! At least it works in the sense that I can now login!!

Now, if I could only figure out why it's not recognising eth0?
(eth0: unknown interface: No such device - that's on the boot and if I do
an ifconfig I get: error fetching interface information: Device not found)
I've checked the kernel (and rebuilt it) and the modules list is the same as the CD... hmmm...

Think I'll go open a bug (if I can work otu how to do it).

Rod
tinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bug that seems to affect stage 3 installls from Universal CD 2004.3 on PPC systems. Try the following
add the USE flag "pam" in /etc/make.conf
USE="pam"
and then emerge shadow
You need a working network connection for that. It should fix the problem.
I ran into the same problem while installing on a iBook G4.
Hope it helps!
Martin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: