View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mpemba Effect
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Installing binary phoenix from Portage ebuilds Reply with quote

Phoenix 0.5 (Naples) has been released - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html
Quote:
What's New

* Multiple homepages

You can now have multiple homepages that will open in tabs upon startup. To use this feature, you can either type in the addresses of the websites you want to use in the Homepage field of preferences (separate them using a "|"), or open the websites you want and then go to Preferences and click Use Current Pages. Please note that this feature is in ongoing development. For example, in the future you'll be able to select multiple bookmarks, and we still haven't decided what to do when you have multiple homepages and open a new window.
* Intellimouse 5-button support

You can now use your back and forward mouse buttons with Phoenix, thanks to the fix for bug 30431.
* Sidebar remembers its state across sessions

Phoenix will now remember if you had a sidebar open when you quit and will display it when you next start.
* Download fixes

Many bugs with the download sidebar have been fixed, including a bunch of cases where downloads remained in the "current downloads" section forever, a bug that caused -1 to be displayed as the progress, and a bug that prevented the progress of downloads with foreign characters in their names from being updated. A download properties dialog has also been added (right click a finished download to access it), as well as some more prefs (one for download directory, one for opening the download sidebar when you being a download).
* History improvements

The ability to open history items in tabs has been added, and the longstanding bug that history quicksearch was case sensitive has been fixed.
* Accessibility improvements

The arrow keys now toggle between focusable elements like buttons, just as on Windows.
* Size and memory reduction

Phoenix is lighter than ever before, coming in at 6.1 mb on Windows and 8.7 mb on Linux. And that isn't the end: we've knocked down our target to about 5mb on Windows by the time we reach 1.0, and probably somewhere between 7 and 8 on Linux. These are only guesstimates, please treat them as such. You should also see some decreased memory usage compared with 0.4 (but we still have a ways to go in that area).
* Performance improvements

0.5 is certainly our fastest release ever. You might especially notice a boost if you have a blank page (about:blank) as your homepage.
* Stability improvements

A number of crashes and hangs have been fixed in 0.5, including but not limited to bugs 173234, 178601, 183784, 180182, 181592, 181692 and 181463.
* Better Windows appearance

Phoenix users using the Classic (default) theme on Windows XP have long enjoyed a browser that blends in with their operating system. With 0.5, people on other flavors of Windows can experience that too thanks to the fix for bug 172751 (the OS now largely draws our widgets on Windows 9x, NT and 2K).
* Many more new themes

Phoenix theme development has really taken off. Thanks to all the theme authors! Most themes are available here.
* Too many fixes to list

But here are some of the most noteworthy. In 0.4, the menubar stayed disabled after customizing the toolbar under certain circumstances, effectively rendering that browser useless. This has been fixed in 0.5. Middle clicking in the content area to go to the address in the clipboard (Linux only) has also been fixed. Some annoying urlbar bugs (like this one) have been plugged, and a longstanding fullscreen bug that made the feature a pain to use is now dead. With 0.5, Phoenix works on Windows 95 again.

edit: The links seem to be broken so it's proberbly not quite out yet ... :(
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! This release is going to be a major hit here at the local LUG!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, it looks like they did it again with improving some issues really hard... So I'm a definate user once they do release the package.
geders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links are all borked though?
bullerei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html , you can read "Draft" very often in the background. So don't expect any working links yet...
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I am thinking of switching to phoenix... I use mozilla mainly because of it's email client, one thing I wanna know tho, can I configure phoenix to open a specified email client when I click on mailto: links?
geders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...oh well
jcmkk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now officially released. Someone make an ebuild quick.
bmb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want an ebuild to compile it myself. :lol:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy /usr/portage/net-www/phoenix-bin/phoenix-bin-0.4-r2.ebuild to your "local" portage directory (as in /usr/portage.local/net-www/phoenix-bin/), while renaming it to phoenix-bin-0.5.ebuild. touch the file, do ebuild phoenix-bin-0.5.ebuild digest, then emerge.

Will probably show up soon anyway.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmb wrote:
I want an ebuild to compile it myself. :lol:

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=25850. This is the official CVS ebuild.

Update: 0.5 works like a charm.

Last edited by dreamer3 on Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
geders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are there "binary-only" ebuilds out on Gentoo? They're compiled with gcc 3.2, so for all of us gcc 2.95.3 users out there, its almost useless to use...why not just make a normal ebuild and build from source, so everyone can use it?
geders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I mean a "normal" ebuild in the fact that it is incorporated into the portage tree...not a local ebuild (which I know works fine).
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Woop! Reply with quote

Yes, a "real" per se ebuild would be nice, although the cvs snapshot one in the tree works fine, and the custom cvs ebuild works ok too.

But anyway, man do I love this browswer, I switched over from Galeon because it had most / all of the essential features I needed in Galeon, and is lighter. And lo and behod, what's this, the fact that it was cross platform (unlike Galeon, obviously) slipped my mind, so I just recently put it on all of my windows machines. Now I'm using a consisent browser across all platforms that is free (as opposed to my previous, Opera). And man does it work great! Hope this project continues to excell, because the work they're doing is incredible.

What I wonder is, why did it take so long for someone to think of a separate, yet using the same engine, browser as part of mozilla? It solves many complaints people have about Mozilla being too heavy etc. etc, seems like it would have been developed earlier in mozilla history. Just my 2 cents, I'm more than thankful that it has come along now.

BTW after proofreading my text above, I've determined that my grammar is horrible. Well.. I have the right to be lazy, I just finished a 7 page paper tonight for a college Shakespeare course... so BAH!
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Copy /usr/portage/net-www/phoenix-bin/phoenix-bin-0.4-r2.ebuild to your "local" portage directory (as in /usr/portage.local/net-www/phoenix-bin/), while renaming it to phoenix-bin-0.5.ebuild. touch the file, do ebuild phoenix-bin-0.5.ebuild digest, then emerge.

Thanks kanuslupus!
I've made my first ebuild! Yeah
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geders wrote:
Why are there "binary-only" ebuilds out on Gentoo? They're compiled with gcc 3.2, so for all of us gcc 2.95.3 users out there, its almost useless to use...why not just make a normal ebuild and build from source, so everyone can use it?

Not sure what you're talking about here. I use gcc 2.95 and I just did the phoenix-bin install per kanuslupus' instructions and it works fine.

And I'd like to add that after today I am phoenix all the way. I had been holding off, thinking why not just use mozilla. However I'm sold 100%. Now just to order the in-laws to use it.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using gcc-2.95.3-r5 and have no problems with the 3.2 binaries. Didn't realize they were made with 3.2.
Tiganu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually made with gcc-2.95xx.

That why there's the need for lib-compat & a bit of symlinking to get phoenix-bin to work on a gcc-3.2 system.
Forgot the thread I saw it, but it basically involved doing an ldd on phoenix-bin & making sure that 'libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3' is symlinked to the one from the 'lib-compat' emerge.

2 min job though ... worked like a charm for me :D
mooman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, phoenix didn't work for me when emerged it first, (it claimed it needed and then installed gtk+ v2.x). I unemerged gtk+ and went back to the 1.2 version and then everything worked for me.

Phoenix had compiled fine, but anything I ran the 'phoenix' command, it would just drop to a new prompt and nothing would happen.

Just pointing this out in case anyone else have problems getting their's running...
geders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phoenix-bin emerged just fine for me, but none of the plugins or anything worked...from my quick scans of threads, I believed that it was a gcc 3.2 issue...so why don't they work?
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geders wrote:
The phoenix-bin emerged just fine for me, but none of the plugins or anything worked...from my quick scans of threads, I believed that it was a gcc 3.2 issue...so why don't they work?

Do they all work in Mozilla? If so then you've probably compiled them all against 3.2 (and gotten them to work) but now you're running phoenix-bin which is compiled with gcc 2.95... I think it COULD be the inverse of the problem everyone was having with java for forever (browser is gcc 3.2, plugins are 2.95). Someone else step in and tell me if this makes sense.

I'd try building phoenix from source and see if that helps any. I just placed the ebuild I'm using in either this thread or one of the other two big phoenix threads (it's 0.5 compiled from CVS). Or it could be a simple directory issue. Is it SHOWING your plugins in Phoenix, just not using them correctly, or they don't even show up?
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gcc 2.95.3-r7. I installed phoenix-bin 0.5. It automagically picked up the plugins I had for moz 1.2. Both flash and java work fine.
geders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just emerged phoenix-0.5-bin.ebuild, and it worked just fine (from portage tree). With 0.4-rX, I would get a fully functional phoenix browser, but no plugins or java stuff...oh well, it works now.

I'm running gcc 2.95.3
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geders wrote:
Ok, just emerged phoenix-0.5-bin.ebuild, and it worked just fine (from portage tree). With 0.4-rX, I would get a fully functional phoenix browser, but no plugins or java stuff...oh well, it works now.

Gentoo made a push a while back to do something standard with the plugins so that all the different browser ebuilds could find and use them. Maybe the old 0.4 ebuilds didn't take this into account and the new 0.5 one does??
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, but it wouldn't be all .4 ebuilds. I used r2 (as above) to create my .5 install.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Could be, but it wouldn't be all .4 ebuilds. I used r2 (as above) to create my .5 install.

Hmmm, I wouldn't know. I never really got any plugins working... maybe I should try again... I just hate the idea of having to unmerge openmotif to compile java...

Where do I get the flash plugin? Is it in portage?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: