Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Has anyone succussfully installed windows over linux?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nandrews
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Has anyone succussfully installed windows over linux? Reply with quote

I've heard that his is not recommended, but I unfortunatly need windows for a project I'm working on. My current setup is one main 80 gig hd on which I have gentoo installed and I have a second crappy 40 gig one where I'm trying to put windows.

I can get as far as partitioning the 40 gig one to NTFS and copying the system files, but then when it reboots it'll try to launch grub and die. This is having the 80 gig boot first. If I set the 40 gig one to boot first it gives me a "Can't load this operating system" message and dies.

It's quite important I get this working. Does anyone know what's going on?
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is your project? If it's only a short time you may want to consider a 30 day trial of Vmware. (www.vmware.com).

I hardly use Windows anymore but, I seem to recall that a Windows install will often over write your MBR.
nandrews
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

I thought it would too, but it didn't. Also, it didn't seem to notice my 80 gig disk was there and only gave me the option of partitioning the 40 gig one. This must be the problem. I need to give it drivers for my larger disk.

If I get that far and it does in fact overwrite my MBR, is getting it back easy? Would it simply be a matter of running grub-install again?

As for vmware, I'd rather just install windows so I don't need to go through this again.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont have in BIOS the boot sector virus protect thing on do you?

I have it enabled for those time I have to re-install windows - and this stops the MBR being over-written by windows.

BUT for some reason GRUB and lilo can write quite happily to it.

if you have it on turn it off.
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some questions, first, if you please:
  1. What are your hard drives designated as? (/dev/hdaX, /dev/sdaX, etc)
  2. What does your /boot/grub/grub.conf file look like?
  3. Are these Serial-ATA drives?
  4. Are you wanting to keep your Gentoo installation?
I will let you know that Windows does not like being on the Secondary drive of any kind. Many have gotten it to work, but I have not (consistently enough to recommend it).

If you want to get rid of Gentoo and just have Windows installed for the time being, keep reading. Otherwise, please let us know what you want exactly and stop here.

Unfortunately (or, fortunately, depending upon your point of view :wink: ) the Windows installer for all versions of windows will not remove Grub from the master boot record. Once you restore the MBR for windows, you will then need to boot from the Gentoo LiveCD to reinstall Grub from your chrooted system, following the instructions in the installation guide for installing Grub.

In Windows 9x, find a boot diskette. Boot from it. Type "fdisk /mbr" at the prompt. Reboot.

In Windows XP, you can uninstall GRUB as follows:
  1. Boot from the Windows XP CD and press the "R" key during the setup in order to start the Recovery Console.
  2. Select your Windows XP installation from the list and enter the administrator password.
  3. At the input prompt, enter the command "FIXMBR" and confirm the query with "y".
  4. The MBR will be rewritten and GRUB will be uninstalled.
  5. Press "exit" to reboot the computer.

In Windows 2000, you can uninstall GRUB as follows:
  1. Boot from the Windows 2000 CD and press the "R" key during the setup and then the "K" key in the following menu in order to start the Recovery Console.
  2. Select your Windows 2000 installation from the list and enter the administrator password.
  3. At the input prompt, enter the command "FIXMBR" and confirm the query with "y".
  4. The MBR will be rewritten and GRUB will be uninstalled.
  5. Press "exit" to reboot the computer.

nandrews
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: okay Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

To clarify my situation:
- Gentoo is here to stay, and is on my primary /dev/sda disk If someone gives me advice that causes corruption of the data on this disk, I will hunt them down and kill them ;)
- I want to install windows 2000 or XP, whichever is easiest, on /dev/hdd (as reported by fdisk)
- I have Serial-ATA (VIA)
- After formatting hdd to NTFS and copying over the data files, I tried two things: changing the boot priority to start with hdd, which gave me an error message and died, and removing the windows CD and booting into the new install from grub (this is booting from the scsi drive) using the following grub commands "root (hd1,0)" "makeactive" and "chainloader +1" which did nothing at all.

Does this help?
chammel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

power down computer and unplug from wall.

Remove 80 Gb Drive and put 40 Gb Drive and make it C:

Power up computer and install Windows. After windows is installed and configured the way you want shut down computer, unplug and restore system to prevous configuration.

Boot linux

edit grub.conf adding the following lines

Code:

title=Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)         # Tell the first hard drive to pretend to be the second
map (hd1) (hd0)         # Tell the second hard drive to pretend to be the first
root (hd1,0)            # Tell GRUB Windows is on /dev/hdb1 (No pretending here)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)    # GRUB won't attempt to mount the Windows drive
makeactive              # Sets the partition to active
chainloader +1          # Tells GRUB to load the Windows bootloader when done

Now reboot and select Windows XP from selection.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: