Input/output errors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Input/output errors Reply with quote

I am getiing lots of i/o errors on my ext3 parition. I am currently booting from cd b/c i configured the kernel worng and need to rebuild it. However, make menuconfig gives me an error stating it can't "stat include/linux/version.h: not a directory" I decided to try and re-emerge the sources "emerge -u sys-kernel/gentoo-sources && emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" I get a bunch of I/O errors and then it says "Error: file exists: '/usr/src/linux-2.4.29-gentoo-r4/fs/intermezzo'". When i "rm /usr/src/linux-2.4.29-gentoo-r4/fs/intermezzo" it says it can't remove the file b/c of an I/O error. What do i need to do? Is there something wrong w/ my parition?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

start over
filter69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 4:26 am    Post subject: well..... Reply with quote

mine did that too but thats after i crashed my install with all my part. mounted so i have to boot of the install cd and manually e2fsck my / and /boot and /home just to find out my drive was Toast so yea like the guy siad start over and reformat the partitions sorry
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. That's not that big a deal. I just didn't want to waste the time if it was something easier to fix.

Thanks
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i reformatted and began reinstall and i got the error again. Should i try xfs instead of ext3.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what hardware are you using...just list your system specs...are you trying to install on a system that is overclocked at all...what are the memeory timings in the bios...mo info please
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
what hardware are you using...just list your system specs...are you trying to install on a system that is overclocked at all...what are the memeory timings in the bios...mo info please

Maxtor 40 gb HDD
no overclock

I reinstalled using xfs instead of ext3. It was working fine until just now. I rebuilt the kernel. Something went wrong so i booted the old kernel. I am getting I/O errors. Specifically, it can't locate my netcard module and can't build the module. I was going to re-emerge the system and got an I/O error. Then i could barely access anything and restarted. Now emerge sys-kernel/xfs-sources doesn't work at all.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After leaving the com running for a while, it completely crapped out. It gave a No such file or directory error on every command, eve though it could give the full path. ex

emerge sys-kernel/xfs-sources
bash /usr/bin/emerge: No such file or directory.

Then i got this error

INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
repeated alot
INIT: Id "c1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.

now i can type, but nothing else and special keys just give the char result. ex enter types "^M" up types "^[[A"
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would most certainly seem to be a hardware issue...not a gentoo issue....can you just list what your system is...like other then the hardrive...be specific...what type of ram are you using mother board.....etc....it may be that someone has had similar issues adn a common hardware may be the culprit....i cant see why gentoo would be to blame for this on a clean install...also give a bit more detail about the kernel configuration adn what sources your using
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: This is hardware Reply with quote

Yeah, this is called "Hardware hates you".
Wiggle the cables, and pray that your hard drive isn't going to start making cool click-chirp noises. (Which often predates the slinging of shrapnel around inside the casing)

~Mac~
cbranst2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this post searching for 'INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"', which began for me after partitioning the remaining space on my 20G IBM drive for a Win98 dualboot.

Was frustrating, as I had Gentoo all running sweetly with KDE and everything, and Grub would launch Win98 no problems.

Finally I found the cause, and thought I'd post it here for everyone's edification.

I had created three primary partitions for Gentoo using the Gentoo fdisk. Performed the install with only minor difficulties, resolved all those and was happy. I'd left around 8 gigs unpartitioned for doing the Win98 dual-boot later.

Used Windows fdisk to create the last partition, installed Windows, and then used the install/recover CD to redo the MBR with Grub, having previously edited menu.lst for the dual boot.

Upon first attempt to boot into Gentoo after the Windows install, got the errors and couldn't get in.

What I found with Gentoo fdisk was the partition table showing /dev/hda3 partitioned from cylinder 145 to 1340......but /dev/hda4 (Windows partition) from 1025 to the end of the drive!!

Icky...am reinstalling Gentoo now having deleted and recreated the third partition with no overlap.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: