whats going to happen if solaris gets open sourced
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: whats going to happen if solaris gets open sourced Reply with quote

after a few positive press releases from sun about them opening up solaris code i figured i should give it a bash and and see how it works {1} so downloaded the latest version of solaris 10 for x86 ignoring comments about slow performance is i read this was in the past

now since i have a dual xeon rig with hyperthreading enabled and installed on a 10k scsi i figured it should fly especially with solaris threading support but the installation process it quite hideous, gentoo is much better as all the questions are asked then you can bugger off and leave it while solaris asked config questions all the way through which is a real pain

in all honesty ive only played with it slightly but in comparison to freebsd and linux i am not too impressed which brings me to a question

if sun properly open solaris or gpl it do you think it would be brought up to spec on the x86 platform by sun and devs to give another major open source os or will all the good stuff simply be striped out and the rest ignored

{1} i was also bored and bought a boot on solaris as it seemed a bit more techincaly orientated than most linux books apart from the kernel developers ones
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably won't be of much use. Slowaris on x86 is no big deal really. If they also open up the Sparc codebase under a licence which actually allows us to use it, we'll probably finally get certain hardware working on Linux, but chances are the sparc part will remain closed and any time we support new Sun hardware in Linux we'll end up having to go through the lengthy process of proving that we've not ever looked at the Slowaris code...

I'm pretty sure it's mostly just a marketing ploy, nothing useful.

Then again, there is a Gentoo developer who's involved in the whole thing.
joseDimarcino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used solaris computers at school and they were slow as shit, plus the desktop looked like crap in my opinion.[/quote]
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Sun allowed to open-source it though? I thought they had licensed the code from AT&T, so wouldn't it have to be approved of by them first?

Then again, if we started using the GNU userland tools with the Solaris/SunOS kernel, a GNU OS variant, such as GNU/SunOS ("GNU's Not Unix") actually may very well be true Unix. That might be something for Richard Stallman to ponder...

EDIT: I do think what Ciaran said brings up a good point, though. Having them open-source their SPARC stuff would help Gentoo (and the F/OSS) community a great deal.
strobhen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solaris is an interesting OS w/ mediocre hardware support.

It is average in speed (not as fast as linux, but not abysmal)
Very robust (Solaris 10 can heal itself and handle a CPU failure in a multi-cpu system)
Poorly supported (quite simply not a lot out there for it, you can compile a good deal of linux programs on it no problem)

Linux could use some solaris features, and vice versa. But I doubt they will release it in a GPL-compatable license.

As said before, the biggest help will probably be porting things to Sparc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: