View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duozmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Firefox is so damn buggy Reply with quote

I don't see how everyone can be raving so much about firefox. For me, it's got so many glitches it's basically unuseable. Here's a list I've put together over a couple days:

• The arrow keys, as well as home & end keys, do not work in fields. This means I cannot move my pointer in a form field other than with a mouse, making it difficult to edit my text (including this post).
  • The inline find doesn't work at all. It just does nothing whatsoever when I type.
  • Extension management is very nebulous. I'll consent to install certain extensions (like Sunbird, hardly a sketchy program) and they won't show up. What happened?
  • I can't change my bookmarks. I was able to up to a point -- now all changes are lost when I exit. I get no error messages when I try to manipulate them, however.
  • Googling for "Firefox forums" returns a site called MozillaZine. Is this the authoritative forum for firefox? (Like these forums for Gentoo, which are awesome, BTW?)
  • The "help" menu/buttons in dialogs do nothing.
  • Loading PDFs send my processor to 100%, which heats up my small room noticeably. I can't read a PDF and sit still.

Maybe on that last one, its my fault that my room can't take 100% sustained CPU because I don't have proper cooling during these warm days. But even giving Firefox all the benefit of the doubt, there are still so many crippling bugs that its making me want to retreat back to Konqueror. Do others have similar experience? If I bug hunt for a couple days can I kill these?
stateq2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problem I'm having is w/ the "find" thing....other than that, I'm not having any of your problems :?
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the installing extentions bug...
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well perhaps you could recompile it you might have had a bad build due to the heat. Do compile at night when its cooler. I use full on real deal mozilla and find it alot nicer for me personally but alot like firefox. I dont like it just cause I am usto mozilla but other than that its great.

And no I havent had any problems with mozilla cept when I used the binaries and it flipped out gentoo. I have noticed that mozilla binaries tend to hate Gentoo 8O

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlicerDicer wrote:
Well perhaps you could recompile it you might have had a bad build due to the heat. Do compile at night when its cooler. I use full on real deal mozilla and find it alot nicer for me personally but alot like firefox. I dont like it just cause I am usto mozilla but other than that its great.

And no I havent had any problems with mozilla cept when I used the binaries and it flipped out gentoo. I have noticed that mozilla binaries tend to hate Gentoo 8O

Heat? In Seattle? HA!

Heat is not an issue here. I'm too far north.
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:
SlicerDicer wrote:

Heat? In Seattle? HA!

Pojo said he had the heat jesus. I was saying that heat can cause problems. BTW I guess you seem to forget the 90deg days we had here this past summer when I had to worry about my system overheating cause it was way warmer than normal dont dont have air conditioner

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
stateq2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:
I second the installing extentions bug...

oh yeh..that too
Tasslehoff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The arrow keys, as well as home & end keys, do not work in fields. This means I cannot move my pointer in a form field other than with a mouse, making it difficult to edit my text (including this post).

Nuke the firefox directory in ~/.mozilla that will fix it, though dont be like me remember to save your bookmarks before you do it

The find I agree with, only the highlight works for me. The jumping to the next entry does not
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlicerDicer wrote:
Ateo wrote:
SlicerDicer wrote:

Heat? In Seattle? HA!

Pojo said he had the heat jesus. I was saying that heat can cause problems. BTW I guess you seem to forget the 90deg days we had here this past summer when I had to worry about my system overheating cause it was way warmer than normal dont dont have air conditioner

Sorry. I grew up in Las Vegas. Heat to me is 110º. I also have a swamp cooler in my computer room.....
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasslehoff wrote:
Quote:

The arrow keys, as well as home & end keys, do not work in fields. This means I cannot move my pointer in a form field other than with a mouse, making it difficult to edit my text (including this post).

Nuke the firefox directory in ~/.mozilla that will fix it, though dont be like me remember to save your bookmarks before you do it

The find I agree with, only the highlight works for me. The jumping to the next entry does not

Tried that too. No workie workie.
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox is so damn buggy Reply with quote

pojo wrote:

• The arrow keys, as well as home & end keys, do not work in fields. This means I cannot move my pointer in a form field other than with a mouse, making it difficult to edit my text (including this post).

• I can't change my bookmarks. I was able to up to a point -- now all changes are lost when I exit. I get no error messages when I try to manipulate them, however.

Do others have similar experience?

i am having the problems above.

i think i may have figured out (kind of) the arrow keys in text fields, at least a little. it seems that in text fields, the arrows control the area of the box, like if your reply to the forums goes below the bottom of the box, the arrows move the scroll bar back up. thats desireable on a web page, but definately not in a text box... somethin to work on.

and the bookmarks, i noticed my live bookmarks disapeared once, but it hasnt seems to be such a problem for me....

i dont use extensions, so i cant judge there.

killfire
Tasslehoff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and something else that is driving me nuts, all external links open in the same window no matter what I set it to. Though middle click still works like it should
Plastic
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.0pr is the buggiest release that I have seen yet. 1.0rc should be out soon though.
c0balt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic wrote:
1.0pr is the buggiest release that I have seen yet. 1.0rc should be out soon though.

seconded.
Though its a Pre-Release, dont expect "divine code" or something^^

Ill go back to 0.9 if thers noe new/bugfix release in the next few days.
And instead of whining about bugs, thats what everybody having problems with 1.0PR should do.
Aipom Of Doom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the arrow key problem can be solved by deleting 'compreg.dat' from your profile folder in ~/.mozilla/firefox/. I think that works for the bookmarks too... I had the same problem, but with the preferences, and deleting compreg.dat fixed that, at least.

As for the PDFs, what PDF viewer do you use? That same thing happened when I used Firefox (and Acrobat Reader) in Windows... I use xpdf now and it works fine.

I have the same problem with the find... It highlights, but doesn't go to.
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stateq2 wrote:
the only problem I'm having is w/ the "find" thing....other than that, I'm not having any of your problems :?

same, the find system wont work for me :(
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not having any of the problems described above. 1.0PR has been by far the most bug-free version of Firefox for me. Only major problems I'm having are occasional crashes on pages with lots of poorly written Javascript and the longstanding PDF CPU usage bug that is actually Adobe's fault rather than Firefox's. In particular the inline find function works perfectly.

Then again, I switched to the precompiled build from the from-source one because I had some major problems with the compiled one a few versions back. I don't know what the deal is, but for me the mozilla-firefox-bin packages have just been a helluva lot more stable and less flaky. Maybe you should try backing off on optimizations if you still want to use the self-compiled build.
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:
SlicerDicer wrote:
Ateo wrote:
SlicerDicer wrote:

Heat? In Seattle? HA!

Sorry. I grew up in Las Vegas. Heat to me is 110º. I also have a swamp cooler in my computer room.....

I grew up in flordia keys and 95º with humidity is hotter than 110º IMO. I lived in albquerque for 5 years and when it got over 100º it was not as hot as flordia at 95º. Humidity sucks heh I think most will agree. Seattle at 95º aint nice nor is 90º with that much humidity. Also consider that you can run a swamp cooler there you cannot in flordia/seattle but can in albquerque.

Linkage to humidity effects on heat High humidity makes heat more dangerous because it slows the evaporation of perspiration – the body's natural cooler :wink:

grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched back to mozilla, compiled with "moznoirc moznocompose moznomail" to get rid of all the junk I don't use.

as for 100% CPU usage when viewing a pdf...it's the same in mozilla, too (for me). I remember reading somewhere, it might have been in the text that appears on screen during an emerge of acroread, that there is a bug somewhere so that if mozilla has GTK2 enabled using the pdf plugin takes 100% CPU (for no apparent reason). I read this a while ago, and it is still the case for me today. I have always had mozilla/firefox compiled with GTK2 support, and I have never tested this "bug" by disabling GTK2 and trying to view a pdf. I just download the pdf to my hard drive and view it normally.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grepcomputers wrote:

as for 100% CPU usage when viewing a pdf...it's the same in mozilla, too (for me). I remember reading somewhere, it might have been in the text that appears on screen during an emerge of acroread, that there is a bug somewhere so that if mozilla has GTK2 enabled using the pdf plugin takes 100% CPU (for no apparent reason). I read this a while ago, and it is still the case for me today. I have always had mozilla/firefox compiled with GTK2 support, and I have never tested this "bug" by disabling GTK2 and trying to view a pdf. I just download the pdf to my hard drive and view it normally.

Yeah, it's a confirmed bug in the Acroread plugin, and it happens in both the Mozilla suite (all versions since at least 1.3) and Firefox (all versions since at least 0.8).
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198954

In a nutshell: it seems that the braindead Acrobat Plugin ignores the proper plugin API for managing its window under X/GTK2 builds. There isn't really much the Mozilla devs can do about other than putting huge, kludgy workarounds into the Mozilla code, and they are rightfully unwilling to do that in order to support a poorly coded closed-source plugin. Hence the reason the problem is so longstanding. Unfortunately the open-source alternatives are not fully functional in that they don't support form-fill-in, fail on some PDF files, or cannot be embedded into the browser window. You can always save the file to disk and view it from Acroread, but that's a pain when it seems more and more of the technical articles on the Web are going to PDF format.

We need to clamor for Adobe to fix their bugs and preferably to release a major new revision of Acroread coded in a better GUI toolkit like GTK2. The bugzilla link above contains a post linking to their comment form if you want to send feedback.
Bague
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humidity does truly suck more than heat. Here in Missouri, Humidity remains about 100 percent constantly.

I have had a few problems with .91, haven't tried 1.0 pr yet, though the new find (its in the statisbar and utterly fucking kicks ass) is scweet, and extension management is much better.
Teetante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some of your Extensions don't show up, it might have to do with the changes in the extension system.

This extension ("Show Old Extensions") fixes that problem (at least it did that for me in firefox and thunderbird.
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN tante@emptiness.de
Occam's Razor:
-"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."-
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this ranting over a pre release? Jeezus
grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's ranting? :wink:
I switched back to mozilla right after Firefox 0.9.
stonent
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox is so damn buggy Reply with quote

pojo wrote:
I don't see how everyone can be raving so much about firefox. For me, it's got so many glitches it's basically unuseable. Here's a list I've put together over a couple days:

• The inline find doesn't work at all. It just does nothing whatsoever when I type.
  • Extension management is very nebulous. I'll consent to install certain extensions (like Sunbird, hardly a sketchy program) and they won't show up. What happened?
  • Googling for "Firefox forums" returns a site called MozillaZine. Is this the authoritative forum for firefox? (Like these forums for Gentoo, which are awesome, BTW?)
  • The "help" menu/buttons in dialogs do nothing.
  • Loading PDFs send my processor to 100%, which heats up my small room noticeably. I can't read a PDF and sit still.

Maybe on that last one, its my fault that my room can't take 100% sustained CPU because I don't have proper cooling during these warm days. But even giving Firefox all the benefit of the doubt, there are still so many crippling bugs that its making me want to retreat back to Konqueror. Do others have similar experience? If I bug hunt for a couple days can I kill these?

The arrow key fix is in the bugs.gentoo.org site (delete one small file)

Firefox is a product of Mozilla so yes those are the official forums.

Doesn't sound like you did much research on the issue before making a case against firefox.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: