no luck with grub at all
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e980238
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: no luck with grub at all Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Well I finally finished installing gentoo on my brand new Athlon64 with MSI k8t neo motherboard. Besides things like the onboard sound and ethernet not working, everything else is working pretty well. Only thing is that grub will not work no matter what. I had to end up going online and d/ling someone's grub boot floppy to boot off of that and manually enter the root and kernel commands to boot. If I install it in the MBR, it just hangs. Sometimes it loads the splash screen but other times its just a blank screen and I have to do a hard reset. Its not a problem with the grub config or the kernel, because with the boot floppy I can manually do the config and the kernel will load fine.

Does anyone know of a solution? Ive spent hours searching the forums for a quick answer but have found nothing.
enigma_0Z
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of grub
2. Try LILO.

Lilo is more mature code and has been around longer. I've read that on some systems grub simply refuses to work.
e980238
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigma_0Z wrote:
You may want to:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of grub
2. Try LILO.

Lilo is more mature code and has been around longer. I've read that on some systems grub simply refuses to work.

There is no lilo package for athlon64. The onlly version of grub availiable is grub-static.
enigma_0Z
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post your grub.conf contents please? thanks

Oh yeah, and do you get to the OS menu, or just to the console "grub loading" thingy?
e980238
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigma_0Z wrote:
Could you post your grub.conf contents please? thanks

Oh yeah, and do you get to the OS menu, or just to the console "grub loading" thingy?

As stated before, I dont belive the problem is with the grub.conf but here it is anyway:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.8-r4
root (hd0,2)
kernel /kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/sda4
enigma_0Z
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Now, according to that, your boot partition is /dev/hda3 or /dev/sda3, right? and your root would be /dev/sda4 then.

Grub's numbering scheme is kinda weird, make sure you have it right. (look in the gentoo handbook for some helpful configure info for grub)

Do you have a dualboot system? That may be messing it up too, perhaps you can set up grub to dualboot.

And another thing... it may bee a problem with booting to a SCSI device. I believe that you need to provide an extra option somewhere for SCSI (maybe)

Oh yeah, and do you get to the graphical OS menu, or just to the grub loading.......... thingy?
e980238
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have all the partition numbers right dude, i said thats not the problem before.

As far as getting the grub loading, or the menu, i get both, its really random, sometimes it loads the full menu with the splash and has the list but then its hard locked and i have to hit the reset button.

Is there some bios setting or somthing?
enigma_0Z
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, I dunno. You have your BIOS set to SCSI boot, right? It could be a compatablility issue with AMD64 and SCSI. That's about all the help I can provide. sorry :(
ShadowHawkBV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a silly suggestion, but have you tried disabling your splashscreen in Grub? I'm unsure why, but it usually works for me.

Lost Linux Neophyte
Intel i7-1065G7
Intel i7-8565U
Intel Atom Cherry Trail
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955
Pure 64bit frustration :-)
e980238
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave that a shot but it sitll did the same thing, hard locked.

It had the menu of the choices in my config, which is so frustrating because i dont want to be booting off of a floppy forever.
Hydraulix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emerging grub without use flags.

Code:
USE="" emerge grub

e980238
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydraulix wrote:
Try emerging grub without use flags.

Code:
USE="" emerge grub

Tried that, also with CFLAGS="". Grub is masked on amd64 so im using grub-static. That shouldnt matter though, being that I made a grub boot disk from a working grub and installed it into the MBR and it still isnt working. Thats why im trying to say its some BIOS setting or somthing like that.
fw146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you already know this...
If lilo does not work out for you, even with the grub floppy it is possible to avoid having to enter the kernel command every time. Just boot of the grub floppy. At the grub prompt
Code:
grub> root (hd0,2)
Then just hit escape and it brings up the menu as per your grub.conf.

I have to do this on one of my (x86) machines. Grub works fine off the hard-disk, just takes a really long time to load. Yes, lot slower than the floppy :)
Muad_Dib
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Grub Reply with quote

I'm having troubles with grub as well, using the same motherboard (MSI K8T Neo).

Actually it boots for me normally, just *not* when i have enabled usb legacy support.
When that is disabled it boots correctly (except that usb keyboards dont work so i have to plug it into ps/2)
When enabled it just makes grub hang. On a different stage mostly, sometimes the screen stays black, other times it says Loading stage 1 or whatever it exactl says, sometimes it displays the splash screen.

Try turning legacy support off if you have it enabled now, maybe it willl work?
nrh1703
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished my second attempt at instaling gentoo amd64 on the same mobo (msi k8t) a couple of days ago. My first attempt was scuppered by what appeared to be a ram issue (post install the machine wouldn't boot, stopping after the ram map part of the boot process).

I have some corsair twinx 3200ll (2x512mb) so I set about trying all the different combinations of my ram in the 3 slots available and ran memtest86 each time (I always had failures on test5 so saved time by only running tests 5+8 to check things were working. These two tests are pretty rigorous and were the only ones that showed errors with my initial config). It turned out one of my sticks didn't take kindly to being in slot0 but worked everywhere else and my other stick worked everywhere. [bear in mind that you can only get a dram clock of 400mhz if sot 0+1 are populated, otherwise the board resorts to 333mhz).

I installed gentoo again only to have a prob on reboot because the sata drive linux was on was mapped as /dev/sdb7 rather than /dev/hdg7 as it was during the install. I knew that the mappings might change but spent 4hrs trying different things before finding the solution.

in my grub.conf, I had the lines

Code:

root  (hd1,4)
kernel /kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/sdb7 vga=792

This was how my other two gentoo machines are configured and work fine. It wasn't till I trawled through dozens of forum posts that a post popped up suggesting, the kernel line should have been;

Code:

kernel (hd1,4)/kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/sdb7 vga=792

I'm not sure why the extra (hd1,4) was necessary, maybe because they are extended partitions but once I changed that it worked. Anyone know why it is the case that the kernel location must be specified that way?

I don't know if that will solve the problem but it is an issue that I didn't find out about very easily so maybe it'll be of some help to others. Additionally, I've not had any problems using the onboard ethernet controller. During the install i used

Code:
 modprobe r8169

and then included support for the driver in the kernel. [I'm using the 1.8 BIOS for the mobo]

The legacy USB support has been known to cause many issues with windows as well. The MSI forums have many people posting about problems caused by it.

Possibly related to your problem, I was having intermitent boot problems a while ago because of a loose cable in one of my drives. I think it was probably an sata cable because they don't sit very tightly when connecting to the HD, it's worth a check.
e980238
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys so much!!!! It was the legacy USB support option. I just disabled it and everything works fine.
Ki'Sak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Grub hang'in on boot Reply with quote

Where is legacy USB support found? is it in the bios, grub.conf, kernel, or maybe somewhere else?

I have the same problem with my Giga-byte K8NS motherboard with a AMD64-3000+
Muad_Dib
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try your BIOS
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: