View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paranoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Xorg 6.8 w/ATI success stories? Reply with quote

Considering installing 6.8 but have read quite a few horror stories, especially w/ATI cards (what's new right?). Some success stories out there w/ATI? The new transparency looks nice but frankly it's just eye candy.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from changing my xorg.conf keyboard driver line from "keyboard" to "kbd", I have no problems at all.

Running with a ATI RADEON 9200SE and its running smooth as pie. My system is faster, things are much snappier and its like a surge of new life for KDE. Konquorer definetly opens faster and windows seem cleaner and more responsive.

No slow downs, lock ups or any types of problems...just runs perfect :D
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems you've heard about will be from people using the ATI binary driver ("fglrx") - it does not properly support Xorg 6.8.0 yet, so if you use that driver you'll need to stick with 6.7.0 for now. If you're using the "radeon" driver on the other hand, everything should still work fine.
Paranoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do currently use the binary driver. Never tried the kernel radeon driver and I actually had no idea anybody actually used it. If it works I will give it a try... (8500 card :oops: )
Beforegod
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only interesting if you have a <Radeon 9500 because the radeon driver only support RenderAccerlation with this cards.

And for me the radeon driver sucks... garbled screen not usuable :(
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a success story: I sold my ATI Radeon 9800 for a fraction of what I paid for it a year ago and I am now using my old Geforce 4.
Paranoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know, I'm just poor as hell right now. Next card will be an Nvidia.

Thanks for the info people, going to give it a shot-nothing better to do today. There's always lynx to resolve problems.
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

switched to 6.8 yesterday, running a thinkpad x23 w/ a ATI Radeon Mobility M6, and it's working fine with the generic ATI driver.

ran xcompmgr -c and everything was real slow - go figure, on an 8 MB vid card - but other than that, everything seems to be running just fine. haven't noticed much difference overall, however.
hanzotutu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using xorg's radeon driver.....it has no problem for
xorg-x11 6.8.0. However, the drop shadow and tranparency
are very slow. Don't know how to make it faster yet.... :(
saluk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah same here. Radeon 7500, not a bad card, but transparencies are unusable. Although with xdamage I can move windows around that dont cover the transparent window and they go fast :)

Shadows aren't too bad, but its slow enough that I just leave xcompmgr off.
fallingcow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sog wrote:
switched to 6.8 yesterday, running a thinkpad x23 w/ a ATI Radeon Mobility M6, and it's working fine with the generic ATI driver.

Same setup as me, but I just get a blank screen when I do a startx, and my lappy totally locks up :(

I even ran xorgconfig to get a clean xorg.conf because my old one caused errors... no errors now, but it hard locks!

EDIT: eh, should have read more closely; I'm using "radeon", not "ati". It worked with 6.7, hardware-accelled 3D and everything. Do I need to switch to the "ati" driver now? Will that kill my 3D support?

-Pink Floyd
NoSignsOfLifeHere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that when i ran xcompmgr after my window manager was loaded that everything was slow an choppy. When i added it to my .xinitrc script before the window manager loaded, it speeded things up. Theres still lag but is actually usable now.

I'm using the M9 card in my laptop
jahgu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

ran xcompmgr -c and everything was real slow - go figure, on an 8 MB vid card - but other than that, everything seems to be running just fine. haven't noticed much difference overall, however.

I can't seem to get transset to do anything. Tried the drop shadows, but am not such a big fan and can't really handle the resource load. i'm using the ati driver drivers from here for the mach64 (dl most recent common and mach64)
Quote:
http://www.freedesktop.org/~dri/snapshots/archive/
hiroki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an ATI mobility radeon 9600.
until xorg-x11 6.7.99.903 everything worked perfectly. i could use both, binary and xorg-drivers for my card. but since version 6.7.99.904 (and also 6.8.0)as soon as i use fglrxmy X crashed immediately. no chance using binary drivers. BUT, i need those binary drivers & glxbecause otherwise i cannot use Blender :cry:
maybe i'll just return to 6.7.0, this was working fine for me.
or does anyone have a solution to my problem?

PS: yes, i already disabled Composite....still does not work

Last edited by hiroki on Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
oisch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iif you're using the radeon driver add the following option to your xorg.conf:
Code:
Option      "backingstore"

speeds up xcompmgr -c and -a for me. However transset is still slow.

I also use x11-base/x11-drm-20040827 ... I believe it's better than the kernel driver, but didn't test the kernel driver before...
ShyGuy91284
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel everyone's pain. I upgraded from xfree86 to xorg a few days before 6.8. ATI binary drivers for my R9800 Pro worked fine. Upgraded to 6.8, and was unable to get them to work. My fluxbox config would exit on start when I tried using parts of my old config using the ATI binaries (I think I got it "working", but it would crash X if anything tried using Open GL).
fallingcow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*twitch* enabled some of the extensions in an effort to fix my problem, since disabling stuff hasn't helped.

I still get the blank screen and an unresponsive machine, but now my hard drive thrashes wildly for indefinite periods of time. I gave an "xinit" command about 2 minutes ago; still nothing on my screen, HD still thrashing. I think I'll be reverting to 6.7. Call me when people go back to preceeding the word "release" with "alpha" or "beta" when software's nowhere near ready for prime-time. Yeah, I know it was "~x86" masked, but this is really unstable.

Then again, the freedesktop.org xorg site is still showing 6.7 as the latest release... but they've got semi-correct docs up for 6.8 already, and Portage is calling this 6.8... and just yesterday it came out that the release announcement was a hoax... so what's the deal? What a mess.

Sorry if this is kinda rant-y. Just not looking forward to re-compiling 6.7. :(

-Pink Floyd
Paranoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got it up and working using the radeon driver after a little editing of xorg.conf. OpenGL is slow-lost about 1000fps of glxgears and quake2 is just bearable.

EDIT:Removed my stupidity.

Last edited by Paranoid on Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ricky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got good news and bad news. The good news is dri finally works on my All-in-Wonder card again! (R100) The bad news is that is locks immediately if I try to start X on both monitors. The second card is a PCI Radeon 7000. I can ssh in and there doesn't seem to be anything of particular merit in xorg's log. (Although I can lock it back up again and check :P) I can also kill X, but the monitors stay stuck. The most relevant thing seems to be in dmesg; the following line is repeated over and over again:
Code:
[drm:radeon_lock_take] *ERROR* 1 holds heavyweight lock

Anybody see this before or have any suggestions? Thanks.
hiroki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShyGuy91284 wrote:
I feel everyone's pain. I upgraded from xfree86 to xorg a few days before 6.8. ATI binary drivers for my R9800 Pro worked fine. Upgraded to 6.8, and was unable to get them to work. My fluxbox config would exit on start when I tried using parts of my old config using the ATI binaries (I think I got it "working", but it would crash X if anything tried using Open GL).

8O
i have EXACTLY (EXACTLY EXACTLY!!!!) the same problem(s) here! i managed to get it kinda working (starting), but as soon as i start any kind of OpenGL-using app, it crashes. Even glxgears will cause my X to crash. and, what's more, even my standard-wm (XFCE4) won't start anymore! when i log in with xfce4, my mouse freezes for a few seconds, X crashes, and GDM appears again... Enlightenment and KDE wprk fine though... so far, i hate xorg-x11 6.8.0 :evil:
it's worse than xorg-x11-6.7.99.903, at least it is for me...
wtf did they do in order to make it so buggy during just a few days ???

BTW: when staring "glxinfo" it does not terminate anymore... just does not return to the prompt. and after a while, X crashes...
sheuer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to get x11-org 6.8 running with my 9500 but with out direct rendering. All I had to do was switch drivers from fglrx to radeon.... I'm still working on getting direct rendering though.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since some people seem to have missed what I said earlier, I'd better say it again: the current versions of the ATI binary driver don't support Xorg 6.8.0 properly - stick with XFree or Xorg 6.7.0 until they release a fixed version. The problems you're all having are not due to the new version of Xorg.

However, the "radeon" driver should work in 2D for all ATI cards if you want to have a look at the transparency and drop shadow effects, but you won't be able to get 3D accel with it if you have a newer card (see "man radeon").

Edit: to avoid long compilations if you want to switch back and forward between versions, you can create binary packages for each version and use the "-k" option with emerge. To create a binary package for the currently installed version, use quickpkg (eg "quickpkg =xorg-x11-6.7.0-r2"). Use "emerge -b" when emerging another version, and it'll create a binary package after it's done compiling. Then you can emerge the binary of 6.7.0-r2 with "emerge -k =xorg-x11-6.7.0-r2" and 6.8.0 with "emerge -k =xorg-x11-6.8.0".
Paranoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wedge, man radeon LOL-would never have thought of that. After turning up my AGP speed to 4 (it defaults to 1) and enabling page flipping I'm getting just about the same performance as the binary. I guess it pays to have a shitty old video card.
rhale314159
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: xorg 6.8 on ibook (radeon mobility 9200) Reply with quote

I tried 6.8 on a ibook G4 1GHz and the xorg radeon driver. WIthout the new extensions enabled KDE 3.3 runs fine. When the drop shadows are enabled KDE does not perform so well (e.g. slow, corruption)
If I use the XFCE4 desktop with the xcommgr running I notice a very definite improvement in 2D performance (e.g. draggin windows). 3D is performance is good too. Overall it looks very good. The look and feel approaches that of OS X.
Ricky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the "radeon" driver. (My cards are too old to use the ati binary drivers.) The error seems to imply that somehow the first card has a lock on the drivers or something. (this is just me guessing here :wink:) Is this possible? Has anything changed for running two cards w/ the same driver in 6.8? Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: