View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: GTK2 apps segfault Reply with quote

For some reason, some of my gtk2 apps crash whenever I try to scroll up or down in a window. But not all of them. Afflicted ones that I've seen so far are gaim and xchat, but not gftp. Anyone know what could cause this/anyone have the same problem?
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NUDGE
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After fiddling with it for a while, I finally compiled gtk with debug, and tracked it down. Mystery solved.
dhalsiim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you track down, please elaborate a bit. In another thread, a guy is having his gtk2 apps crash. My "gaim" crashes itself and takes down X along with it. Sigh..

I'd use the USE="debug" flag, but I don't know how it works and what to do thereafter :-\

Thanks ^^

EDIT: This thread specifically, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=217784 . I'm on a 2004.2 gcc 3.4 profile, just like nagzi. Is that the reason for the crash?
dj_goku
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also having troubles with gaim segfaulting and crashing X. I emerge -C it maybe next version, unless it isn't gaim and is something else. I couldn't find anything on bugs either, I could only find ppl that gim actually was segfaulting on startup I can start mine just fine.

dj_goku
spitefulcrow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhalsiim wrote:
What did you track down, please elaborate a bit. In another thread, a guy is having his gtk2 apps crash. My "gaim" crashes itself and takes down X along with it. Sigh..

I'd use the USE="debug" flag, but I don't know how it works and what to do thereafter :-\

Thanks ^^

EDIT: This thread specifically, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=217784 . I'm on a 2004.2 gcc 3.4 profile, just like nagzi. Is that the reason for the crash?

USE="debug" has to be used without the CFLAG -fomit-frame-pointer and with FEATURES="nostrip" for that build to actually have any useful debugging info included.
After building something with debugging symbols, you need to install gdb and run the offending program from gdb so you can get a stack trace which you can then send to the devs for that app. If anyone has a solution to the aforementioned gaim segfault issue I'd love to know because mine's doing the same thing.
dhalsiim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no dice there because gaim would crash X, and thereby taking down gdb with it. I figured out how to run gdb after reading the FAQ on their website.

It stopped happening to me. I can list what things I tried but I'm not sure if that's what caused the problem. I'm at gaim 1.0.0 now this was happening with 0.82.

1. I had problems with xorg 6.8.0 and gaim. If I would use dri and gaim together it would crash. Commenting it out would make it useable though.

2. I was running nitro-sources and later on switched to love-sources.

3. There was this time when gaim would completely *LOCK* X and I would need to restart the computer, I recompiled it and things settled for that problem.

4. I thought this might have been gcc 3.4's problem but it wasn't, I was and still am using it and have no problems at all.

5. Oh and I also acquired a new video card, a Radeon 8500 (using ati-drivers), before this I had a Radeon 7000 using kernel dri + radeon drivers.

That's about all I can remember. I hope you do find a solution, and if it isn't any of the above listed ones, please post your own solution. Thanks.

NOTE: I had been using -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe all along. CFLAGS had nothing to do with this for me.
EDIT: Oh and I remember glibc was also bumped up a version during this time so that's one more possibility.

Last edited by dhalsiim on Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops...didn't notice that anyone had posted here. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I realized that (among other things) newer versions of gtk+ need to be compiled with CLFAGS="" and CXXFLAGS="". Try that and see if it fixes your problem. 8)
Bluepixel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did you do to fix the problem?

I just updated my system and xorg crashes whenever I start gaim or evolution.
Do you think I should recompile gtk?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: