View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: the new Gnome netapplet Reply with quote

Anyone know what it's going to take to get this fine piece of code working in Gentoo?

http://tech9.net/rml/log/2004082401

Apparently, it's not technically an applet, as it needs its own daemon, and appears in the notification area, not actually as a panel applet. (But this also means that it will work great in KDE, I would think).

It sure looks sweet!
dang
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hacked up a version that runs on gentoo here that seems to work for me. You'll need the ~x86 version (27beta) of wireless-tools. I'm also running bmg-gnome-current, but I don't know if that makes a difference.
Obz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost finished, just the wireless scanning/connecting etc to go. i'll put my patchset up when that's done.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~obz/netapplet-02.jpg
gch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet ... I'll look forward to testing it out! Keep us updated.
Obz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dev.gentoo.org/~obz/netapplet/netapplet-gentoo.tar.gz

Still rough, but feel free to test it out in your local overlays
gch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obz wrote:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~obz/netapplet/netapplet-gentoo.tar.gz

Still rough, but feel free to test it out in your local overlays

It installed just fine, but I'm getting an icon error, which I was getting with the original code. I'm guessing this is a problem with my setup, and not general. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Looking at the code that's getting called, netapplet is unable to load a specific icon.

I run netdaemon just fine (as root), then run netapplet as my user, and get the following error:
Code:

1093616819: outgoing: list_interfaces
1093616819: outgoing: get_active
1093616819: incoming: active eth0

(netapplet:9499): netapplet-WARNING **: icon_name=stock_unknown

netapplet-ERROR **: file netapplet.c: line 144 (netapplet_set_icon): should not be reached
aborting...

Any ideas?

Update: I tried mucking around in the source, removing the dependence upon those icons, and also adding the icons to the tar.gz file. Nothing seems to work, and I even get errors when loading icons like the wireless icons which are distributed. I'm guessing there's some icon magic that I don't know how to fix. Still in need of a fix ...
rabbit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Same thing Reply with quote

I've done the same thing, available here:

http://www.clarkson.edu/~chavoumd/netapplet/netapplet-ebuild.tar.bz2

I checked out the one posted earlier and the patches look almost exactly the same.

In general though, the applet still isn't fully functional. Gentoo doesn't do anything to store ESSID's/WEP keys anywhere (wireless-config does, but that's not part of full portage), so connecting to encrypted networks will be flaky unless you set the WEP key yourself first.
Obz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gch, tried changing your icon theme?
gch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obz wrote:

Yup, that was the first thing I tried. I just did a more exhaustive test of various icon themes, and had no changes.

I'm currently re-emerging all of my various icon themes, to see if that does anything, but I'm not hopeful.

-C
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will give this a whirl this weekend. thanks to the folks working on it; i'm psyched to see this thing work.

ultimately, i'd love to see it end up being a part of GNOME and KDE.
c0vert
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks
KN8E-deluxe
SATA 120 Gig Seagate
gch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gch wrote:
Obz wrote:

I'm currently re-emerging all of my various icon themes, to see if that does anything, but I'm not hopeful.

So, yeah, re-emerging didn't work. But I tried the second ebuild that was posted here (done by rabbit), and it worked great. Not sure what the big difference was, but I didn't have icon problems any longer.

rabbit, any ideas what that was?
rabbit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gch wrote:
gch wrote:
Obz wrote:

So, yeah, re-emerging didn't work. But I tried the second ebuild that was posted here (done by rabbit), and it worked great. Not sure what the big difference was, but I didn't have icon problems any longer.

rabbit, any ideas what that was?

Yep. :) It's not an icon problem.

When you first start the applet, it goes through to try and figure out which kind of interface you have (dialup, ethernet, or wireless) -- if it can't figure out at first, it gets to the error you were seeing. The message it yells about is the icon, when really all that happened was that it couldn't detect the type of your device on first try. All I did when I ported it was changed the error message to just return an "unknown" device type so it didn't just crash on you, giving it a little more time to detect which type of network device you're using.

When I posted my ebuild to the GNOME desktop-devel list somebody caught this problem and I was able to add a bit more code to fix it.

Out of curiosity, does it ever detect the type of your device correctly, or does it always display "unknown" ? The best I can guess is that it tries to detect it when you haven't yet started the module for the device (at least, that was the problem I was seeing earlier).
starfighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, why does it try to start "/opt/kde3/bin/kdesu" when i try to "Configure Network Settings"?

i'm using gnome and i really didn't think this thing depended on kde?
rabbit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starfighter wrote:
so, why does it try to start "/opt/kde3/bin/kdesu" when i try to "Configure Network Settings"?

i'm using gnome and i really didn't think this thing depended on kde?

Well, the netapplet was originally written for SuSE. But that doesn't really doesn't answer the question.

It comes back to a gap in gentoo's network tooling. The initscripts are all that gentoo provides, and there's no real way to "configure your network" outside of editing /etc/conf.d/net. I posted a topic about it that as of yet nobody's responded to:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=215288

Which ebuild did you use? Mine, or the one posted first? Either way, I'll take a look at it. I know that with mine the "configure network settings" button does nothing. I'm not sure what the appropriate action to take is, outside of removing the option.
starfighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using Obz's..

though i was using some other one at first though, i got it from my friend who's using debian.. there was a "netapplet-0.98.0-gentoo.patch" that i applied on the sources and just ./configure'd, make and then make install. i got it working, and when doing "Configure Network Settings" it opened the gnome Network Settings.

i'm not sure where that package is from though, i'm using an all unstable system (bad i know >_<) and also the bmg-main branch.

if you're interested in the patch i'll post it somewhere.
rabbit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starfighter wrote:
i'm using Obz's..

though i was using some other one at first though, i got it from my friend who's using debian.. there was a "netapplet-0.98.0-gentoo.patch" that i applied on the sources and just ./configure'd, make and then make install. i got it working, and when doing "Configure Network Settings" it opened the gnome Network Settings.

i'm not sure where that package is from though, i'm using an all unstable system (bad i know >_<) and also the bmg-main branch.

if you're interested in the patch i'll post it somewhere.

I'm definitely interested. The best I've got on my system is gnome-network-preferences, and all that lets you do is configure your proxy settings. If you're using the bmg gnome branch then you might have the new GNOME system tools, which could explain it.

I'm running a ~x86 and bmg-main system myself.
starfighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, i checked the patch out and it uses "/usr/bin/network-admin", which has now taken over control of my network devices :) can't figure out what package it's from though. i'm pretty sure it's the new gnome network system tool.

and that kind of connects to that other post of yours, i haven't checked my /etc/conf.d/net (and /etc/conf.d/wireless) files after using network-admin.. but i'm pretty sure they've been changed.. because now at bootup they do what i tell them to do via network-admin.. hm

isn't there a tool to see what package a certain file is from?
starfighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, some googling found me this thread:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-August/msg00474.html

i guess if none of those names are you (rabbit) or Obz, then i suggest finding out who they are? :)
starfighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kay, uploaded the patch i used yesterday. don't know where it's from but it's good :) apply to the netapplet 0.98 sources:

http://calle.cowhide.org/netapplet-0.98.0-gentoo.patch
Obz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbit: care to amalgamate our patches? I think mine has a couple of fixes that the debian one didnt, mainly freeing the io channel so that you don't have too many files open.

I don't currently have much time to work on this, but would love to see us join forces as it is :)

Let me know how you go.

How about:

a) join the patches, take the best bits, i don't mind which way you do it
b) email it to me obz@gentoo.org
c) i'll look over it + test it + add anything else i can
d) i'll email it back to you, check it
e) we'll upload it to my space on dev.gentoo.org
f) get some testing
g) get it in portage?

Looks like a lot of steps but they're pretty easy.

Thanks very much,
Mike
(Obz)
rabbit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: amalgamation complete Reply with quote

I'd be happy to put it all together. (I caught the file open bug, too.) I'll have some time later on this week to work on it. When I glanced over it earlier this week I didn't see too many outstanding differences.

We should talk about how we want to do the "configure network settings" option -- if we wait until GNOME 2.8, we can use the system tools, but until then we're kinda stuck. I'm not running a 2.7.9x box personally.

starfighter: if you see any of those posts by 'Mike Chavoustie', that's me. :)
amd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: amalgamation complete Reply with quote

rabbit wrote:
We should talk about how we want to do the "configure network settings" option -- if we wait until GNOME 2.8, we can use the system tools, but until then we're kinda stuck. I'm not running a 2.7.9x box personally.

Maybe for now the configure script should detect whether gnome-2.8 environment exists and then according to the gnome version, it either adds "configure network settings" to the menu or not.
starfighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: amalgamation complete Reply with quote

amd wrote:
Maybe for now the configure script should detect whether gnome-2.8 environment exists and then according to the gnome version, it either adds "configure network settings" to the menu or not.

second that, i wanna use my shiny gnome network settings :D
do try to make something like this, the applet should work in a kde enviroment too, since it's based in the sink (or tray or whatever it's called) as it's an opendesktop standard. so maybe check and see if there's a gnome netconfig or a kde one or another one or not at all. ya. you work it out :)
amd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: amalgamation complete Reply with quote

starfighter wrote:
second that, i wanna use my shiny gnome network settings :D
do try to make something like this, the applet should work in a kde enviroment too, since it's based in the sink (or tray or whatever it's called) as it's an opendesktop standard. so maybe check and see if there's a gnome netconfig or a kde one or another one or not at all. ya. you work it out :)

Hm.. we do have kde and gnome USE flags...
So.. why not add two network configuration entries there according to the USE flags...?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: