Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there a way to add tarballs to the livecd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcking
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Is there a way to add tarballs to the livecd? Reply with quote

I'm trying to do this so that I can add the stageX tarballs and the vanilla kernel.org version of the kernel to the CD. I have a laptop with USB nic that isn't recognized by the 1.4 livecd and I need to untar the stage3 tarball and rebuild the kernel during installation.

Right now I'm trying to burn a mulitsession CD with the iso as the first session, and adding files into a second session. So far this just dies when booting the grub stage2 (from my previous linux install). Any thoughts?

[btw, why aren't there cd images with the tarballs already on them?]
mcking
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

I can boot off of the CDrw if I burn just the iso (using nero multisession burn). if i add files to it, it is no longer bootable, but i can see the contents just fine.
sheepdog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: 2 CDs Reply with quote

Try having the iso on one disk and the stage you want on another. Boot with the iso and when you get to the point in the install that you want to untar the stage 3 unmount the cdrom and change cds. Remount the cdrom, copy the tarball to the machine, unmount the cdrom, replace the stage cd with the iso and remount the cdrom. Then continue with install.

-- Michael
BloodShed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

mcking wrote:
I can boot off of the CDrw if I burn just the iso (using nero multisession burn). if i add files to it, it is no longer bootable, but i can see the contents just fine.
That's because you aren't burning the bootable image. First, you'll need to save an image of the bootable sector to a file. Several software utilities should allow you to do this. Try opening the image in CDmage and select File>Save Boot Image....

Then create your file system tree the way you like it with all the added files. Next, you'll have to add the boot image back into your new ISO. Since you're using Nero, in the "New Compilation" window select CD-ROM (Boot) from the icons on the left. It'll automatically bring you to the Boot tab where you can select Image File... everything else should be familure to you. Just burn the CD and everything should be fine.

Maybe when I'm feeling unlazy sometime I'll do this too... 122-222MB seems like such a waste of a good 80min CD. =)

476F 7420 4153 4349 493F
hmm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

BloodShed wrote:
mcking wrote:
That's because you aren't burning the bootable image. First, you'll need to save an image of the bootable sector to a file. Several software utilities should allow you to do this. Try opening the image in CDmage and select File>Save Boot Image....

Then create your file system tree the way you like it with all the added files. Next, you'll have to add the boot image back into your new ISO. Since you're using Nero, in the "New Compilation" window select CD-ROM (Boot) from the icons on the left. It'll automatically bring you to the Boot tab where you can select Image File... everything else should be familure to you. Just burn the CD and everything should be fine.

Maybe when I'm feeling unlazy sometime I'll do this too... 122-222MB seems like such a waste of a good 80min CD. =)

ehh, I tried all of this and I get a checksum error msg at boot and it stops there...

I extracted a liveCD.iso added my own stuff and some stages then I built an ISO image with CDRWIN using the boot image from the original liveCD ISO, no emulation, loaded 4 sectors... and still I get:

ISOLINUX 2.00 2002-10-25 isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...

Boot failed: press a key to retry...
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm havingt his same problem 'cept when I try to mount the 2nd CD it won't work!!!

how can I install gentoo w/o the internet!!! :evil:
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenon wrote:
I'm havingt his same problem 'cept when I try to mount the 2nd CD it won't work!!!

how can I install gentoo w/o the internet!!! :evil:

you must run the livecd with option cdcache to be able to eject CD.

Puggy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: