64 Bit + WiFi
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: 64 Bit + WiFi Reply with quote

OK, I just ordered a Compaq R3000z a few days ago, and it got me wondering about something. It comes with a built in Broadcom WiFi solution, I opted to get it because I will be dual booting and using Windows XP 64 Bit (the beta) on it as well as Gentoo. I remember seeing some driver wrapper that used the Windows 32 bit drivers to use the Broadcom cards, will that work for a 64 bit linux kernel?

Second question, if I can't use a 32 bit device driver for a 64 bit kernel (as I suspect it will be), if Broadcom releases a 64 bit driver for their WiFi chipsets (as they will need to once Microsoft releases Windows XP 64-Bit for the general public), will linux users be able to take the 64 bit driver and use a 64 bit wrapper to provide wireless functionality with the built in chipset?

I know I'm asking a bit much, and if a project is in progress on this issue, please point me to it and I'll do the best I can to help (I just graduated high school, but I've been doing driver development (adding features and such) for the past three weeks, so I'm fairly proficient in C. This is something that's somewhat important to me, and I'm sure plenty of other people, so I'd like to get a working solution ASAP.

And one last word, yes, I know of how crazy Broadcom is, one of my coworkers told me how he had to sign about a million NDAs to get to a specially created datasheet that he couldn't show anyone else under penalty of death, or something ridiculous like that.
ballyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The package you're looking for is ndiswrapper... it's in portage. I'm using it on a dell precision m60 (pentium m) without problems. It doesn't appear to compile on my 64-bit machine, though.

Once broadcom releases a 64-bit driver, I would assume that it won't be too difficult to get ndiswrapper running.

Here, I just did a little research for you since it piqued my interest... This is from the author of ndiswrapper:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ndiswrapper.general/2513

Quote:
Eric> It's a good question whether or not the actual NT driver being
Eric> 32 bit will work with a 64 bit ndiswrapper driver. I'm 100%

This question has been asked (and answered) before. The real problem
is getting a 64 bit windows driver. It is not clear if this driver,
when available, will follow the current NDIS. If it does, and when it
is available, making ndiswrapper 64-bit ready shouldn't be much of a
problem.

For now, if all you want is to compile ndiswrapper in 64 bit, then
simply remove the getSp function and all references to it. This
function is used only for debugging purposes.

BTW, the project is at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net.
eztiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lookinging into buying an Athlon64 for my next server but I have to concede to being a bit confused by the 32/64 bit issues.

I will definately need to use the ndiswrapper package for one of the network interfaces.....you say it doesn't compile on your 64 bit machine...is it possible to compile it in 32 bit mode?

I understand if there are no 64 bit broadcom drivers it won't work at 64 bit...but is it possible to compile ndsiwrapper as a 32 bit binary and use it with the 32 bit broadcom drivers and run it on your otherwise 64 bit native machine?

Thanks,

Kev
herbie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, afaik the ndiswrapper is a kernel module and if compiled in 32bit will not load on a 64bit kernel. So until broadcom releases 64bit drivers of some description there is zero chance of getting this to work on amd64 linux. You might want to look for a prism based 54g wifi card, they have stable opensource linux drivers that work on amd64 (driver is in the vanilla 2.6 kernel as of version 2.6.5).
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the fact that it should eventually work is a good thing, although I'll probably have to buy a prism card in the meantime. Speaking of Broadcom 64 bit drivers, does anyone know if Microsoft has set a release date for Windows XP 64, because I'd think once that comes out, a 64 bit Broadcom driver will also be released (or at least AMD and HP/Compaq will definitely push for one).
naitram
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called up HP and asked if they had any 64 bit support for the zv5000 (pretty well identical to the 3000z) and they told me flat out no. No support, no estimated time when they'll have support, and yes they understand that broadcom's a bunch of asshats that refuses to support their products, and that HP's the only option i have for obtaining drivers, but no, I was stil out of luck. How many phone calls do you think it would take before someone decided it would be a good thing to put up drivers? I told them i was using the beta 64 bit version of xp, since i knew they'd never support linux. Anyone else want to chime in? tech support number is 1-800-474-6836 and it's 24x7. Surprisingly they actually spoke english. If you do decide to call, try and be polite (i never actually used the term "asshat") as rudeness likely won't get you anywhere.
Bluesmoke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a ZV5000Z, Its a great machine aside from the darn Broadcom 54G wireless :(. I called HP and they told me to call Broadcom *boggle*
naitram
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesmoke wrote:
I also have a ZV5000Z, Its a great machine aside from the darn Broadcom 54G wireless :(. I called HP and they told me to call Broadcom *boggle*

Did you inform them that broadcom told you to call HP? I've seen similar reports from an emachines owner (who got his 32 bit drivers from dell, but they didn't have any 64 bit last i looked either) and i'm starting to wonder if the low-end support staff even _knows_ that broadcom won't even offer drivers for download.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: