Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Ogg Vorbis] Ogg encoding for 5.1 DVD soundtrack (solved ?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brancaleone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: [Ogg Vorbis] Ogg encoding for 5.1 DVD soundtrack (solved ?) Reply with quote

I've been trying to transfer the 5.1 soundtrack in DVDs to a 6 channel .ogg file.

I kwow there are a lot of problems with 6-channel oggs, but I am using this "method" to do it.

Code:
mknod myfifo p
oggenc --raw --raw-chan=6 --raw-rate=48000 --bitrate=250 -o output.ogg myfifo &
mplayer -ao pcm -channels 6 -aid 128 -vc dummy -vo null -hardframedrop  -aofile myfifo -dvd-device /home/my_ripped_dvd  dvd://1
rm myfifo

The ogg file obtained has indeed 6 channels, but - alas! - when I play it back with

Code:
gmplayer -ao alsa1x -channels 6 -af channels=6:6:0:0:1:1:2:0:2:1:4:2:5:3 output.ogg

the rear channels are distorted with all sorts of strange noises "blip-blop-blrdp-etc".
ONLY the rear channels have this problem.
Does anybody know what is wrong with my method? Is it the encoding, the use of a FIFO to avoid the creation of a 11 Gbyte wav file, the mplayer command?

If we could make it work right, I think this would be a fantasic method to make a 6-channel Ogm. No AC3, and no Windowz needed at all.

Last edited by brancaleone on Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
brancaleone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've returned to this old lonely post because now I believe I've found the answer, so others may benefit from it.

The problem can be solved adding the -nowaveheader option to the mplayer command.
I think the problem isn't the header itself, but the channel layout.
It seems that without the header, oggenc is free to read the input stream the way he wants to do it, and the problem disappears.
If you try to change the channel layout -- with or without the wav header -- it will distort the last two channels in the way described.

One last melancholic remark: :cry:

All this is pointless, at this moment the 5.1 channel ogg-vorbis files are worse than the standard ac3 files because they don't support channel coupling, so we can't get decent quality with less bitrate. In fact, at the same bitrate it will sound worse than the ac3.

This topic is dicussed at this post:https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=280847
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: