another 'your thoughts on my partition setup'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stagnant7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: another 'your thoughts on my partition setup' Reply with quote

Hi all,

I would love to basically make sure im getting most things i want out of my partition setup before i go ahead and install gentoo. Ive seriously done weeks of research (had exams so i didn't want to start it...so i drooled over the things i was going to do haha) and he's my latest idea:

I have the following hard drives:

1 40gb seagate 7200rpm hd
(connected as master to the motherboards ide channel )

2 120gb seagate 7200rpm hds
(connected to a (software) raid controller pci card both as master)

i want to have winxp still
so i am going to put this on my 40gb hd on a 5-7gb partition and then the rest of that hd can be used for something else (see later in post for my thoughts)

I am going to create a raid0 namely of the 2 120gb drives... and install gentoo linux on that.

i am almost certain up to here.....now this is where id luv some thoughtful feedback:

i want to use linux predominantly, so everything will be on linux native partitions (btw ive pretty much settled on ReiserFS as ive always used it without a glitch).

but when i go into windows id still love to have my music collection and a few other files (but i dont want to create a large fat32 drive that is used by both operating systems as i feel windows is slow with fat32 (large ones anyway) and i dont think it would be as fast as a linux native filesystem.

.....so i was thinking of making the rest of my 40gb hd (which has winxp on it) a fat32 partition, which is will be 32gb (handy eh :P considering microsofts restrictions on fat32 sizes) for backups (including my music collection) and if i need to transfer a particular file to winxp.

but then i thought well my music will barely fit on this partition alone so maybe i should use this space on my 40gb drive for something else and create a 50gb or so fat32 partition for backup on my 2 120gb drives (can u software raid0 a fat32 partition in linux...i wouldn't as its for back up but just as a side question :wink:)

ahh i dunno i keep confusing myself....cos then what should i do with the remaining gb on the 40gb hd? (around 32gb)

neway another question is if i raid0 those 2 120gb hds can i make separate (raid0) partitions like / /home /boot /swap? (can swap be raided)

ive pretty much settled on the above partitions for linux... any other suggestions for an average (well perhaps slightly more than average) computer user?

do i need /usr or /usr/local or /tmp or /var? ..will it be of any real benifit? (btw i know its all optional but some examples or situations whrere its beneficial would be great)

How big should /home be as ive notice alot of ./hidden files appear there (i now how much space i need to allocate for personal files but how big are all these ./hidden files gonna be?) is this where one would put his/her mp3 collection, videos etc?
(im asking as previously i had a shared Fat32 partition which was mounted in /mnt)

Ok sorry for the lengthy post but that all my concerns before i get my system running just how i like i ...and then hopefully i can kick back and enjoy it :)

thanks for any helpful replies [/b]
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

Quote:
btw ive pretty much settled on ReiserFS as ive always used it without a glitch

There's a thread in the forums somewhere here that said that "all known bugs" in Reiser 4 have been fixed. So you might want to go read about that. I don't know if it's ready for full use yet (although there are many people already using it), but it might be interesting to look at if there's "no more bugs".

About your partitions: how much of your mp3 collection do you need to access in Windows? If you're going to use predominantly Linux, then most of the time this won't be a concern. Are you using Windows for games, and how much do you listen to mp3s during the time you'll spend in Windows? Maybe you could get away with just mirroring a select number on the fat32 partition.

Also, you might want to consider installing Linux on the 40gb drive as well. If you have all the system and program files on a separate drive from all your data, it'll probably run a little faster (assuming the drives are on separate channels, which it seems like they will be).

As for separate / /home, etc mounts. There are some arguments for but I doubt many will really apply to you. One is that if you create enough separate partitions, you can mount / read-only, which can be good for security. Another is that with separate mount points, you can set up crude quotas for disk usage. For example, I have /, /boot, /usr, /var, and /home. So if I run out of disk space in /home, I won't break other things like logging in /var and so on. For a home box, this is probably less important, especially if you have 240 gigs of shared space.

A final benefit might be what I mentioned earlier. You could buy, for example, 5 15,000 RPM SCSI drives and have one for / and /boot, one for /usr, one for /var, etc. Then you'd be able to access all at once and the traffic from loading up Mozilla from disk to run it wouldn't be affected by the activity of your mail spool. But this is probably not a concern for a desktop machine.

Sizes: On my machine, I have 2 gigs for /home, I think, and it's not even half full. As long as you keep your mp3s and such elsewhere, you don't have to worry too much. There are lots of hidden files, but they don't usually take up much space. One note is that if you use KDE (and probably Gnome, too, but I don't know for sure), and you install themes and icons and fonts as your user, they go into your home directory, so allow a little spae for that. I usually install them in /usr, so that keeps the size down, but if you're going to be installing tons of icons just for you, you might want a little space.

I wouldn't want all my files in /home. I have gigs upong gigs of stuff on separate partitions to share between Windows and Linux (back when I used Windows more often). So I have /mnt/D, /mnt/E, ... /mnt/I with my personal files. If I need anything easily accessible (wallpapers on /mnt/E), I sym-link it or do a 'mount -o bind' to make it easily accessible from my home directory. That way /home can be small, but still be useful.

I don't know about the raid questions. However, there are several "Setting up Gentoo on RAID" threads floating around these forums, so if you search for them, you'll probably find answers to most of your questions about that.

Anyhow, I'd probably recommend having at least / and /boot on the small drive. You can probably get away with maybe a gig total for those two (boot can be small). That way you don't need to do any fancy stuff with GRUB to get it to see linux on the RAID array (I don't know what's involved with that). Then you can have 30 gigs for sharing, and have /usr, /var, /home on the raid if you want since they might need more storage (my /var is only 1.5 gigs, but my /usr is like 12 - 15 gigs, because I install lots of stuff, and games especially take up lots of space). If 30 isn't enough for sharing, you could probably put all of Linux in the 30 gigs (and have lots of space to spare), and then use the raid for your data, including the shared partition (although I don't know about raiding the fat32, and if you're using Linux kernel software RAID, it probably won't be accessible at all in windows).

Good luck.
Stagnant7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply it gave me a few different ideas to play with and look into :)

oh btw your pic is the best i rekon....it feels as if will ferrell is replying hah! jees he's funny......'or perhaps a whole meal of food' -old school.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Will Ferrel giving linux advice is quite the image, isn't it?
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, follow this thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: