View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linubie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: bootsplash Reply with quote

hi,

I want to compile my own kernel with bootsplash.

this I try to with Linux kernel 2.6.7 and the bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.7.diff. patching works fine, but not activating.

I followed this instruction from gentoo-wiki:

Code maturity level options --->
[*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers
Processor type and features --->
[*] MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support
Device Drivers --->
Block devices --->
<*> Loopback device support
<*> RAM disk support
(4096) Default RAM disk size
[*] Initial RAM disk (initrd) support
Graphics support --->
[*] Support for frame buffer devices
[*] VESA VGA graphics support
Console display driver support --->
[*] Video mode selection support
<*> Framebuffer Console support
Bootsplash configuration --->
[*] Bootup splash screen

but Iam not able to activate the the bootsplash, no way for me to get into the bootsplash menu.

is there some issue between bootsplash and amd64?
cause I patched and compiled it for my old machine i686 (kernel 2.4.26) without any problem.

Thank you
Master_Of_Disaster
l33t
l33t

Location: 15.05072° East, 48.13747° North (aka Mauer), Austria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no bootsplash menu. If you want bootsplash, you just have to enable this option and that's it (as far as the kernel is concerned though).
Linubie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my bad english maybe I explained not at the best.

thats what I meant:

when I enter on this item
Bootsplash configuration --->

I can not activate (see) this option,

[*] Bootup splash screen

It does not show up for me.
nigelhannam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about how the config stuff works, so there's probably a better way of fixing this, but I had a look at the problem, and found a workaround.

Line 130 of the patch is:

+ depends on FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y && FB_VESA && REGPARM=n && BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

The problem is the REGPARM dependancy. I tried adding CONFIG_REGPARM=n to my .config, but it didn't seem to work, so after having a quick search to find out what REGPARM is, I just removed the dependancy from the patch:

+ depends on FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y && FB_VESA && BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

After that, the bootsplash menu option is accesible, the kernel builds and bootsplash works.

Nigel
jwagoner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the guide here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036 and it works fine for me. In the kernel you have to have framebuffer, loopback, and initrd support compiled in. Then just edit the grub config.
NiK[IT]
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone could tell me how to change the bootsplash logout image? I've got a different bootsplash when i logon and would make the same when i logout...

Also someone could explain to me how to add animations in bootsplash? Im using Emergence...
Thx in advance to anyone
Kiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiK[IT] wrote:
Someone could tell me how to change the bootsplash logout image? I've got a different bootsplash when i logon and would make the same when i logout...

Also someone could explain to me how to add animations in bootsplash? Im using Emergence...
Thx in advance to anyone

In the configfile are 2 jpg's: normal and silent, and I think silent is used for the logout
NiK[IT]
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot!!!
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwagoner wrote:
I followed the guide here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036 and it works fine for me. In the kernel you have to have framebuffer, loopback, and initrd support compiled in. Then just edit the grub config.

On which kernel? He's asking about 2.6.7, which doesn't have the option "Configure Bootsplash" under "Bootsplash configuration". If you hit enter with "Bootsplash configuration" selected, nothing happens.

I know some people have bootsplash working on 2.6.7* I just have to find out if there's a patch or something I'm missing. I tried a patch for 2.6.7 from bootsplash.org, but when I attempted it, it said that everything in it was already patched.
cryos
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add that I emerged gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7 earlier today. I copied my old .config from my gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.5-r1 working kernel, and did a make oldconfig as I usually do. I then proceeded to build my new kernel, and install the modules etc as normal. Up on rebooting I found that bootsplash had stopped working altogether, and I had a nasty little 640x480 screen whilst booting again...

I now find that I can't select the bootsplash option when in make menuconfig screens. It just doesn't react, and I also get nothing in terms of a framebuffer and bootsplash. So I have now rebooted back into my old 2.6.5 kernel and all is working well again. I would like to test the new kernel - has anyone got it working with bootsplash and amd64 yet?
nigelhannam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a vanilla 2.6.7 patched with bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.7.diff (on an amd64 processor)

As I posted earlier, I modified the patch slightly to get rid of the config dependancy on REGPARM, and the option appears correctly in menuconfig, and bootsplash works.

If you want to try the same modification on a different kernel that has already had the bootsplash patch applied, edit <path to kernel source>/drivers/video/bootsplash/Kconfig directly.
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigelhannam wrote:
I just removed the dependancy from the patch:

After that, the bootsplash menu option is accesible, the kernel builds and bootsplash works.

Awesome. Thanks for this. I glossed over it the first time I cam here looking for help with this, but now I've done what you suggested and was able to compile the missing option into my kernel. I'll post my results with bootsplash back when I'm done compiling.

Cheers,

Dave

Edit -- Yep, that was it. Bootsplash working fine now. Thanks so much.
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigelhannam wrote:
I tried adding CONFIG_REGPARM=n to my .config, but it didn't seem to work, so after having a quick search to find out what REGPARM is, I just removed the dependancy from the patch:

Well, the REGPARM=n dependency has been added there for a reason. CONFIG_REGPARM is 'Processor type and features -> Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL)' in the kernel's menuconfig system. Disable this option, and you won't have to remove anything from the bootsplash's Kconfig.

If you keep this option enabled and use bootsplash, you risk getting oopses. Bootsplash is known not to work properly with regparm enabled. If it works for you - you're lucky :)
maxilion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:

Well, the REGPARM=n dependency has been added there for a reason. CONFIG_REGPARM is 'Processor type and features -> Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL)' in the kernel's menuconfig system. Disable this option, and you won't have to remove anything from the bootsplash's Kconfig.

I don't have this option in menuconfig, and bootsplash isn't available?
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxilion wrote:

In that case, please send me your .config file and I'll check what's causing the problems.
nigelhannam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ :

I think the problem lies in the default config information that resides in
/usr/src/linux/arch/<arch>

a grep for REGPARM under /usr/src/linux/arch/i386 shows entries in defconfig, Kconfig & Makefile.
In the Kconfig the parameter has a default of n

Under /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64 there is no reference to REGPARM.

This lack of data seems to cause make oldconfig / menuconfig to strip out the CONFIG_REGPARM entry in the config, making the config as a whole fail to satisfy the the dependancies for the CONFIG_BOOTSPLASH menu item.

I think this should mean that removing the dependancy from the patch on an amd64 machine will not cause any harm because the CONFIG_REGPARM entry will never be set.

I guess a better solution would be to modify the default config to prevent the REGPARM entry from being stripped from a users config. That way the dependacy can be satisfied correctly.
cryos
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:
maxilion wrote:

In that case, please send me your .config file and I'll check what's causing the problems.

Just to add that I also don't have that option in menuconfig, and greping for it in the .config turned up nothing either. Don't know what is going off here...
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigelhannam wrote:
I guess a better solution would be to modify the default config to prevent the REGPARM entry from being stripped from a users config. That way the dependacy can be satisfied correctly.

Actually, it's bootsplash that needs to be fixed. I'm sorry I didn't notice that REGPARM is available only for X86 when I was adding this dependency. Newer versions of bootsplash will be fixed. Before that happens, you can safely remove the dependency on any non-x86_32 systems.
cryos
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:
Actually, it's bootsplash that needs to be fixed. I'm sorry I didn't notice that REGPARM is available only for X86 when I was adding this dependency. Newer versions of bootsplash will be fixed. Before that happens, you can safely remove the dependency on any non-x86_32 systems.

Not in a massive rush to upgrade to 2.6.7 as everything is running just fine on 2.6.5. I did want to know if this bug is going to be fixed though. Just downloaded and emerged gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r4 and it is still not fixed - i.e. I still can't select the bootsplash menu when all other prerequisites are enabled/disabled if available.
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cryos wrote:
Not in a massive rush to upgrade to 2.6.7 as everything is running just fine on 2.6.5. I did want to know if this bug is going to be fixed though. Just downloaded and emerged gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r4 and it is still not fixed - i.e. I still can't select the bootsplash menu when all other prerequisites are enabled/disabled if available.

This should be fixed in g-d-s -r5 and bootsplash 0.6.1-r1. Please let me know if it isn't.
maxilion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:

This should be fixed in g-d-s -r5 and bootsplash 0.6.1-r1. Please let me know if it isn't.

It works for me. Tnx.
cryos
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:

Just tried it and it works for me too - thanks! Can't tell how stable it is just yet but it does seem to be working just fine as far as I can tell. Thanks :) The new bootsplash is ~amd64 - I might try it out tomorrow but the old one seems to be working OK anyway.
nightm4re
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, i was having this issue as well (2.6.7). It kept telling me the patch was already applied, and I wasn't quite sure how to do it manually, so I just looked up that section in the patch file and changed it.

the file is (under /usr/src/linux):
drivers/video/bootsplash/Kconfig

then i did a make clean, and make menuconfig, but that didn't get it to work in the menus. so i ended up just putting the config option in my .config manually, and now i'm building that. will report back in a few when it's done.

*ADDED*
nope, didn't make a difference. bootplash didn't run on startup, there's no /proc/splash, nothing.

can someone give me instructions on how to apply the patch to the 2.6.7 sources? thanks!
brkdncr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's something to start with, found in a thread somewhere:

Code:
Processor type and features  --->
  [ ] Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL)
Device Drivers  --->
  Graphics support  --->
    [*] Support for frame buffer devices
    [*]   VESA VGA graphics support
    Console display driver support  --->
      [*]   Video mode selection support
      <*> Framebuffer Console support
    Logo configuration  --->
      [ ] Bootup logo
    Bootsplash configuration  --->
      [*] Bootup splash screen
erikdenv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nightmare

make sure Ramdisk support is compiled into the kernel, not as a module
if it's selected as compiled in the kernel then you can enable the initial ramdisk, bootsplash also depends on that (found it out only yesterday after a lot of trial and error)

I still don't get a bootsplash on startup though, I guess i have to add /etc/init.d /bootsplash to the boot-runlevel, will try that later
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: