875P ICH5 normal IDE non-SATA help please
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eriq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: 875P ICH5 normal IDE non-SATA help please Reply with quote

Background:
Motherboard = Intel 875PBZLK
specs = ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/C3176501.pdf
Processor = 3 GHz P4 Prescott
512 MB RAM = dual channel dynamic mode
hard drive = 80 GB WD (/dev/hda)
DVDR-A05 = /dev/hdc
TDK4800BB = /dev/hdd
nothing connected to the SATA controllers
Kernel = gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.5 (compiled manually)
Partition scheme = /dev/hda1 (ext2 boot), (reiserfs hda2), (swap hda3)

Issue:
kernel freezes on boot during discovery of the /dev/hdd device if I don't have the SATA modules compiled in, or at scsi1: ata_piix if I do. Notable messages:
"/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: unkown partition table"

I have searched the forums and tried the following:
-. unchecking all SCSI disk and sata related options and modules and doing ATA IDE only.
-. compiling sata options and modules only.
-. compiling both
-. commenting out sections of my /etc/fstab like CDROM, etc...

I do have support for my chipset and drive filesystems compiled into my kernel (i8xx_tco) etc... Like the other posters the Gentoo 2004.1 livecd works fine and I get 47 MBs in hdparm. I do not have a serial cable to connect to this machine and get more substantial logging information. What's the magic configuration for running an PATA IDE drive on an I875P/ICH5 setup?

TIA

[url][/url][url][/url]
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you boot?
gentoo noscsi
or something like that?
eriq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my grub.conf I have (from memory):

kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.5-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hda2 vga=791

no initrd. I have not tried specifying an initrd. I will try it, but I have never needed one for a 2.6 kernel. What do you think about temporarily copying the livecd kernel over to my machine so I can boot to a console without having to boot from the livecd and re-mount devices? Just a thought.
eriq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running an Nvidia 5200 and have read about the 4K stack issue. Specifically,
CONFIG_4KSTACKS=y/n causing kernel freezes. I will recompile and experiment with this.
eriq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied the Gentoo LiveCD kernel to my drive and am booting with that to try and resolve my issue w/o having to boot from the livecd all the time. Is there anyone out there that has an Intel D875PBZ running Gentoo on an ordinary IDE drive with no SATA? I am running out of ideas. I think it may be easier to just buy a SATA drive. The strange thing is that we use mostly Dell Poweredge 400SC computers at work that have the 875P/ICH5 chipset with SATA. Basically it is an OEM version of Intel's D875PBZ, and the 400SC's run Fedora fine. I am pretty sure this is an issue with the kernel I am building and not a "too new hardware" issue. I am not sure what else it could be though. I have noticed that when I use the livecd kernel the following works.

Instead of,
"/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: unkown partition table"
I get:
"/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3"
and the boot process continues.

I would really like to post my .config but after using the livecd kernel I have module breakage and my webmail via links doesn't support the interface I have to use. I gave mail-files a go but...Any help is greatly appreciated.
eriq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a SATA drive and am building my Gentoo system on my single SATA drive currently. I am not using SATA RAID on my Intel D875BZ as there is no real performance increase. I thought I would give NTPL a go and am building from the bootstrap-2.6.sh. My drive partitions are /dev/sda(1-3) which is fine with me. I don't care if they are /dev/hd* or /dev/sd*. When the moment of truth comes (kernel boot time) I will post back to see if my kernel succeeded. I don't plan on using genkernel.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here.

A little sanity for folks running Intel mobos and chipsets with SATA drives. No SCSI!
eriq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I finally have Gentoo up and running on my single SATA drive. Gcasillo, thank you for pointing out the sata/ide numbering order. This was not bad to get up and running on the SATA drive, but on my normal PATA drive it just simply would not work!

Not compiling in support for SCSI is what I eneded up with on my working system. I tried both methods on my PATA to no avail. Anyways, it was not too painful. I think people, including me, take this stuff way to seriously sometimes.

I now have support for NPTL built-in with kernel 2.6.5. I can post my kernel config if anyone wants it.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please do that. I have big problems here to launch the live cd on a MSI neo-V with ICH5 chipset. What options do i need and what bios settings?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: