Moving from ~x86 to x86
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akennedy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Moving from ~x86 to x86 Reply with quote

I have just taken over control of a gentoo machine from a co-worker, he had the machine setup for the ~x86 line.

I was wondering if there was a way to slowly (or quickly) move the machine to a more stable line without doing a complete rebuild.

Thanks
DDV01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be tricky, you will run into problems when downgrading (that can be solved though).
If you don't need to go back to x86 in a hurry, you could (after editing /etc/make.conf) use the upgradeonly switch when emerging for a while.
(man emerge)

This will lower the impact of downgrading gradually.
akennedy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But won't that just keep the system going along the ~x86 line?

I've played around with /etc/make.conf and changing the ~x86 to x86 and trying emerge -uUa world but it still wants to downgrade some packages
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have three basic options: either emerge -uD world, and let it revert everything to stable, or continue using emerge -U for a while with 'world', to let the version you currently have installed get into the stable profile. The third is to change the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS setting, put entrys into /etc/portage/package.keywords (create it if it doesn't exist) to place everything except the system profile and some essential packages into ~x86, and then emerge -uD world, to revert the rest to stable. Over time, remove some of the entrys from package.keywords, and then run emerge -uD on those packages. That way you can spread the load of rebuilding stable packages out a bit.

Of those options, the first is the most correct, but most time consuming, the second seems fairly pointless and accident-prone, and the third is probably the best compromise if you don't have much time to be rebuilding everything.
akennedy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! :) I'll give it a try
xianx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akennedy wrote:
But won't that just keep the system going along the ~x86 line?
I've played around with /etc/make.conf and changing the ~x86 to x86 and trying emerge -uUa world but it still wants to downgrade some packages

Why would u use -uU? -U is good enough.

Also, this thread really teaches you how to use portage correctly. (Specifically how to use ~x86 packages properly)

EDIT: Sorry i just realized this parrots thebell's post. However that link is useful.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xianx wrote:
Why would u use -uU? -U is good enough.

It doesn't matter, they're the exactly the same. (-uU will save one or two lines of code in emerge, nothing you'll ever notice even on a 386).
c2m2s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: From ~x86 to x86 Reply with quote

Hi, I've one question. When I did the installation of my Gentoo I've used the following...
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

in my make.conf. Now, months after, I would like to leave the "living on the edge" and change it for a stable Gentoo. I've four different machines and It's very difficult to keep up to date all of them in "testing mode".

But, I think that changing the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS it's not the better way to do this, because I got things like these.
Code:
Calculating world dependencies \
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-devel/gettext-0.12.1-r1" have been masked.
!!! possible candidates are:
- sys-devel/gettext-0.12.1-r1 (masked by: ~keyword)
!!!    (dependency required by "sys-apps/help2man-1.33.1" [ebuild])

!!! Problem with ebuild sys-apps/man-pages-1.67
!!! Possibly a DEPEND/*DEPEND problem.

!!! Depgraph creation failed.

Is there any way to do what I want to do?.

Thanks!

PD: I'm still learning english, as you can see.
GuidoJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you do that gives you that error message? From what I understand you changed the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS line in make.conf back to "x86", but then what?

Note that you might have a package installed, that has no unmasked version in portage yet. You should either unmerge these packages, or add them to /etc/portage/package.keyword (maybe it should read 'keywords' there, I can't remember, search the forums). Next you want to do an emerge -e world to rebuild everything.
c2m2s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Ops... Reply with quote

Yes, I've changed the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in mi /etc/make.conf from ~x86 to x86. Those errors are the output from...
Code:
emerge -p -v -U -D world

So, the only way to move from TESTING to STABLE is rebuilding everything?.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your problem is with the U option. U prevents downgrades (and should never be used). Try "emerge -pve world"
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop the -U. It fairly obviously won't downgrade to stable if you specifically tell it not to. ;) Besides, -U is a Bad Thing in general-- see the link in my sig.

Also, you mustn't downgrade glibc (indeed, the ebuild won't let you), so you'll have to tell portage to keep using the version you have at the moment. I'll assume it's 2.3.4.20040619-r1, since that's the latest ~x86 version. Add the following to package.keywords:
Code:
=sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20040619-r1 ~x86
and then try
Code:
emerge -uDpv world

That ought to downgrade everything except glibc to the latest stable version.
c2m2s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers!

So, the problem was the -U in the emerge. I've change the /etc/portage/package.keywords as thebell wrote but with one more line.
Code:
=sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20040619-r1 ~x86
=sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6* ~x86

That version of glibc depends on linux26-headers.

Thank you! :D
libero
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: 2005 version of this Reply with quote

hi,

Since this post is kind of old, but still relevant to my needs, I thought I'd share my experience.

As I get more familiar with Gentoo, I'm definitely becoming less n00b and more into it, and anyway one day lo and behold, I realize I'm running my make.conf with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS= "~x86"
which I don't think is what I wanted, and I can't frankly remember how it got this way.

Anyway, it must have been like this through my whole kernel 2.6 upgrade. On the 2nd "emerge -e world" at the end of 2.6 upgrade, is when I discovered this situation, and decided to revert.

After some research, here are the things I had to put into my /etc/portage/package.keywords:
Code:

=sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5 ~x86
=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86  ~x86
~sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6  ~x86
=sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.11.r2  ~x86
~sys-libs/readline-5.0  ~x86
~app-shells/bash-3.0  ~x86
~dev-libs/xalan-c-1.8.0  ~x86 

The first one, glibc, appears to be extremely dangerous. I gather that it's quite bad to revert it. So I wanted to keep it at 2.3.5
Second, sysvinit, I have to keep there because there currently is no "x86" stable version, and it's required by dependencies.
The third, linux-headers, according to this post, seems like something that shouldn't be reverted.
4th, baselayout, also gave me errors, so I added it to the list.
5th, 6th and 7th are also for this reason.

the different between using "=" and using "~" has been explained elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that ~ is a little more flexible, when you don't care exactly what version of the ebuild you get. Using "=" can lead to some error messages in the future, and you'll need to manage versions here on package.keywords in the future.

Have fun

Leo
NZLemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiously, last night I discovered exactly the same thing, and am now going to try to remedy it. One problem I run into is that it keeps trying to install kde 3.3 packages - is this currently the latest stable build? I'd like to stick with 3.4 if I can, and it seems daft to have both installed (and I don't want to compile the dirty hog twice). Is this possible?
libero
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi NZLemming,

true story - I kid you not:
I *thought* my KDE was going to get downgraded to 3.3 because that's what emerge -p world seemed to indicate.

However, somehow, after all the emerges are done, and I reboot the system, and log back in, it comes up KDE 3.4

So take that as a small measure of security: maybe your 3.4 will still be there, like mine is.

I can't explain how this happened though. So if there's some science, I'm not up on it. I didn't mask it, and I expected that it would be downgraded. A theory is that some parts of it were actually downgraded, but at least the main stuff seems to still be 3.4

My "About KDE" menu item says: K Desktop Environment. Release 3.4.0
I already included my package.keywords in the previous post. No KDE stuff needed to be in there (but maybe if you put them in as ~x86, that would provide more security for you)

Good luck!

Leo
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE 3.3 and 3.4 are slotted, so you can have both at the same time. What that means in your case is that while the older version was installed, the newer version wasn't removed, so you're still using the ~x86 version. As for ~ vs = in /etc/portage/*, I think that ~ allows -rX revisions, while = will only accept the version you've specified.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: