View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: [SPLIT] Why IE in Wine? Reply with quote

MOD EDIT: Split from the IE in Wine tutorial in Documentation, Tips & Tricks. --plate

maybe I'm missing something but why?

Why run IE on linux? mozilla works just fine and all you're doing is taking one of the worst piece of software microsoft as done and puting it on linux (personal opinion I guess)

Just curious why people want to run IE on linux
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Because we create pages, and we want to know how they look in IE.
2. Because some sites requires IE to work.

Also I think it is very ironic, and finally "because we can".
Cqwense
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or because we can't as the case may be :)

but the challenge is still the same, and just as fun as really browsing.
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat offtopic, but is IE6 freely usable on non-MS platforms? That is to say, is it legal to use IE6 in wine(x) without having a copy of Windows? Just wondering...
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cqwense wrote:
Or because we can't as the case may be :)

I don't know what could be wrong but are you using the suggested version of wine? Try to compile it again with my USE flags. I wrote what they are somewhere.
To me IE is useful for web design.
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it makes sence if you're doing web development. I guess I didn't think of that. Just fells kind of weird to imagine IE running on linux, lol
hardcore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft actually had IE (i think 5.5) for UNIX, but was later pulled. I think it actually was written by the company that was the source of the source code leak a month ago.
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but it still does not confirm/deny whether or not IE6 is 100% legal to use in wine on Linux. Anyone know? There has to be someone ;)
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it be ilegal? The program is free, anyone can download and install it. Wine is not ilegal either.
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the answer is in the EULA, isn't it displayed when doing "wine iesetup"?

I do believe that the license says something about which OS's Internet Explorer is allowed to be installed on. But when you have components acting just like the OS to the application, for the sake of the application, you ARE running Win98. But what do I know, it is an interesting question, perhaps the EFF has an article or two on the subject?
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrorball wrote:
Why would it be ilegal? The program is free, anyone can download and install it. Wine is not ilegal either.

Read the post below yours. EULA is important too in terms of legality (as much as we all think they suck and are "anti-freedom"). Note I am not saying anyone should stop using IE on wine, I am just asking a question :)

Also, does the installation of IE on wine require a windows OS (whether it's installed or on cd)? I ask because the IE install for wine seems to use only cab's and other files available from microsoft.com and not from a windows cd.

So if I install IE on wine without using a windows cd/install is it still legal? That is basically what I am asking :) I am not asking whether it is right or wrong (see my anti-EULA statement above).
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helper_Monkey wrote:
EDIT: As for the legality, you are required to have a valid windows license to install and run internet explorer.

Thanks! Quite lame, but then again, what can you expect from a lame company? Also, how does IE on Mac work? Same way (except a Mac is required)? Obviously you are not required to have a valid windows license to install and run IE on Mac ;) Also, would this not complicate things a little? IE does not require a license on Mac, but it does on Windows. Strange... Plus we are not using IE on Windows, but on Linux. And to complicate it further, we use IE from their website, not from the OS cd. Stupid EULA's ;)
(note: I do not intend to use IE - I can code just fine without it)
Daagar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those asking 'why use ie6 in wine', my answer is that I have no intention of using it, actually. It is just a simple way to get a number of required native .dlls installed so that I could get mdac/jet installed (which in turn was to enable to use of ZMUD, which still isn't quite working for me in wine yet). ;)
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helper_Monkey wrote:
EDIT: As for the legality, you are required to have a valid windows license to install and run internet explorer.

:lol: Haaaaahahaha! :twisted:

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just quote what I believe are relevant parts from the EULA:
Quote:
NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALID EULA FOR ANY "OS PRODUCT" (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98, MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT 4.0, MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000, MICROSOFT MILLENNIUM EDITION, MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP, OR ANY OTHER MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEM THAT IS A SUCCESSOR TO ANY OF THE FOREGOING OPERATING SYSTEMS) YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO INSTALL, COPY, OR OTHERWISE USE THE OS COMPONENTS AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS UNDER THIS SUPPLEMENTAL EULA.

Capitalized terms used in this Supplemental EULA and not otherwise defined herein shall have the meanings assigned to them in the applicable OS Product EULA.

General. The OS Components are provided to you to update, supplement, or replace existing functionality of the applicable OS Product. You are hereby granted a license by or on behalf of the entity which licensed the OS Product to you to use the OS Components under the terms and conditions of the OS Product EULA for the applicable OS Product (which are hereby incorporated by reference) and the terms and conditions set forth in this Supplemental EULA, provided that you comply with all such terms and conditions. To the extent that any terms in this Supplemental EULA conflict with terms in the applicable OS Product EULA, the terms of this Supplemental EULA control solely with respect to the OS Components.

So, while I have very little skill with the law, it seems like
a) You need a valid EULA for one Windows version
b) You must have the original OS installed to install the "OS Components"

Well, I've got a Windows installation on a different partition. Is it okay then? It seems to reference the entire Windows EULA, but is that only for the "OS Components"? And which files are those? :wink:
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off topic: just out of curiosity
why are you giving this great an effort to run an application which has been outclassed by every possible other similar software? i'd understand if you'd try to run other software (well, at the moment the only thing i can think of is miranda im (an im messenger) which hasn't been beaten yet (ah, what the heck) - sim would be as nice, but it crashes) which isn't available or way off better (i guess none of these two conditions aply once :!: ). so, give me some reasons please...
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why are you giving this great an effort to run an application which has been outclassed by every possible other similar software?
Two main reasons, if you're a web developer you need to know how pages look in IE and some sites only work in IE (even with user agent tweaks).

Quote:
well, at the moment the only thing i can think of is miranda im (an im messenger) which hasn't been beaten yet
Kopete seems to do almost everything Miranda does and it probably does a lot of things Miranda doesn't, it's certainly close enough that which is better is up to opinion.
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Quote:
why are you giving this great an effort to run an application which has been outclassed by every possible other similar software?
Two main reasons, if you're a web developer you need to know how pages look in IE and some sites only work in IE (even with user agent tweaks)

agreed. but nevertheless: shame on webdevelopers for ignoring compatibility and standards!
Malakin wrote:
Quote:
well, at the moment the only thing i can think of is miranda im (an im messenger) which hasn't been beaten yet
Kopete seems to do almost everything Miranda does and it probably does a lot of things Miranda doesn't, it's certainly close enough that which is better is up to opinion.

no, it doesn't almost everything but it's close enough. as i said, "ah, what the heck". it's just a question of taste.
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlinkEye wrote:

agreed. but nevertheless: shame on webdevelopers for ignoring compatibility and standards!

I would do anything to get rid of this browser. I hate it. But unfortunately more than 90% of the population is using it (see the link below). I'm not ignoring any standards in my web development. I'm merely trying to make my site compatible with this terrible browser.

Shame on those webdevelopers that make IE-only sites. I think they should loose their jobs.

Browser statistics: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Yes, it's very sad.
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't trust statistics if i haven't forged it myself, but this is surprising anyway, and alarming! i'm glad to just setting up a gentoo box for my sister. there's a brand new world out there with linux
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Browser statistics: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
The upside to those statistics is IE (5+6) is collectively losing market share and Mozilla appears to be the only browser significantly gaining market share.
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could help spreading the fact that there is and are other AND better browser(s) with putting some promotional buttons on your page: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/buttons.html

Last edited by BlinkEye on Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
you could help spreading the fact that there is and are other AND better browser(s) with putting some promotional buttons on your page: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/buttons.html

Amen. I already have those buttons on my pages but thanks!

Last edited by Mirrorball on Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrorball wrote:
Malakin wrote:
The upside to those statistics is IE (5+6) is collectively losing market share and Mozilla appears to be the only browser significantly gaining market share.

Amen. I already have those buttons on my pages but thanks!

wrong quote but i got you. good to know
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlinkEye wrote:
wrong quote but i got you. good to know

What wrong quote? BlinkEye, you are seeing things. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: