View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fergus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: ximian connector GAL help Reply with quote

I am trying to get the new GPL'd ximian connector working and have run into a snag. I can't seem to get the Global Address List to work.

Let me first explain what I know of our setup and what I have tried. When I setup the exchange account in evolution it askes for the exchange server and it also has an option Global Catalog Server for specifiying where to find the global address list. If I make this the same as the exchange server I get an error when trying to access the list. If I point this to what I think is the ACtive Directory server, I no longer get an error when access the GAL but i don't get any addresses either.

I then wen't back to outlook to see if I could find out where it got the GAL from. From the information I found it says the GAL is located on the exchange server at \Global Address List.

I am not sure what to do now. Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Anything would be helpful! Thanks

--
fergus
Kryptik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a starting point to solve your problem may be this:

Ximian Support Page - "How do I figure out what my GAL (global address list) server is?"

Kryptik
fergus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that and it didn't work. All it said was host not found. I am not sure if that just means we have a different configuration or if I am screwed. I did make a little more progress. I found out the active directory server and was able to get it configured by adding the server to the Directory Server settings. I then tried to point the GAL option in the email settings to the same server but still no luck. When I click on the GAL it still says can't contact LDAP server. Right now i am just scratching my head...

--
fergus
rburcham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: having the same problem... Reply with quote

What's more, I have been using connector for years and have been successfully using the GAL too. It's not until 1.4.7 (the Free version) that I have lost access to my GAL.

What's strange is I also used to be able to issue a

Code:
host -t srv _gc._tcp.mydomain.com

(where mydomain.com is my actual domain) and get a list of valid servers to use for the GAL. Now I get the "host not found" response as described above.
rburcham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: perhaps this is the question to ask: Reply with quote

Here's the proper question:

Has anyone been able to successfully use the newly "Free" Ximian Connector to work with their Exchange server's Global Address List?

We're talking evolution-1.4.6 with ximian-connector-1.4.7.1
jmd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: perhaps this is the question to ask: Reply with quote

rburcham wrote:
Here's the proper question:

Has anyone been able to successfully use the newly "Free" Ximian Connector to work with their Exchange server's Global Address List?

We're talking evolution-1.4.6 with ximian-connector-1.4.7.1

I have the same question.

I have recompiled openldap with the supplied patch (and recompiled the connector afterwards) as suggested in another thread (and on the connector mailing list), but still no go here :(.

Any hints?
rburcham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD - how about a link or links to what it is you are talking about... the patch and the threads to which you refer.
jmd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rburcham wrote:
JMD - how about a link or links to what it is you are talking about... the patch and the threads to which you refer.

Certainly:

Hypnos has made an ebuild available for the connector 1.4.7.1 at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50801

The source code you can download from Ximian http://ftp.ximian.com/pub/source/evolution/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1.tar.gz also has a docs/openldap-ntlm.diff file, which (as I understand it) is a patch to get NTLM authentication working with LDAP. If it isn't patched in, you'll get a "No NTLM support in OpenLDAP; Plaintext password authentication will be
used when connecting to the Global Catalog server." warning (and my GC server won't work :().
rburcham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links.

When I built 1.4.7.1, I didn't know to use the patch you describe. However, I have never received the error you describe either.

When I try a GAL lookup, I merely get a "Can't contact LDAP server (...)" message in the status bar.

Still curious if anyone has this working?

Last edited by rburcham on Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I just got it working :-).

I used openldap 2.1.30 (the latest ~x86 in the portage tree), and compiled it with "USE=sasl" and the NTLM patch. Then I compiled the connector again, and it all worked (knowing which servers to use and having the VPN sorted out helped as well).

Try running the ximian-connector-setup, and check which LDAP error you get (you can ignore the two XML error messages it produces).

Now just to get my local calendar to sync with my exchange one... (or be able to use multisync with the exchange calendar) and I'll be very happy.
trumee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please lay out the steps in patching openldap?

Thanks
rburcham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did (mad, mad props to jmd above)

1. Add "sasl" to your make.conf USE directive.

2. Build cyrus-sasl... I had trouble with the current version in portage, but https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=160778&highlight=devlibs+cyrussasl2+1+14 instructed me to build the bleeding edge version cyrus-sasl-2.1.18:

Code:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge cyrus-sasl

3. Now ensure you have the ebuild for ximian-connector-1.4.7.1 from the bugs link provided by jmd above. Put it in your local portage dir or put it in the real portage dir (if you put it here, it will get deleted the next time you sync portage).

Code:
# wget http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=31370&action=view -O /usr/portage/mail-client/ximian-connector/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1.ebuild

4. Now digest this new ebuild

Code:
# ebuild /usr/portage/ximian-connector/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1.ebuild digest

5. Now unpack it (this will explode the source tarball in /var/tmp/portage/... so you can get the openldap patch needed for the following steps)

Code:
# ebuild /usr/portage/ximian-connector/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1.ebuild unpack

6. Now unpack the latest openldap

Code:
# ebuild /usr/portage/net-nds/openldap/openldap-2.1.30.ebuild unpack

7. Now cd to /var/tmp/portage/openldap-2.1.30/work and apply the openldap patch to this source (not being a patch-whiz, and failing to "man patch", I symlinked the source directories like so)

Code:
# ln -s openldap-2.1.30 openldap-2.1.23 ; patch -p0 </var/tmp/portage/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1/work/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1/docs/openldap-ntlm.diff

8. Now ebuild compile the patched openldap like so:

Code:
# ebuild /usr/portage/net-nds/openldap/openldap-2.1.30.ebuild compile

9. Now assuming that goes well, install and qmerge the compiled openldap:

Code:
# ebuild /usr/portage/net-nds/openldap/openldap-2.1.30.ebuild install
# ebuild /usr/portage/net-nds/openldap/openldap-2.1.30.ebuild qmerge

You now have a patched openldap-2.1.30 installed. You now can rebuild ximian-connector-1.4.7.1 and pray that it can do ntlm, and ultimately the GAL.

jmd - I almost have multisync syncing working with the synce plugin. Are you on the mailing lists?
jmd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

props to rburcham for his description. Which email list do you mean btw?
I'd like to use multisync with the IrMC plugin (to keep my calendar on my mobile phone).

I'm a bit more lazy, so here's what I did (it amounts to the same):

1. Copy everything in the /usr/portage/net-nds/openldap tree to /usr/local/portage/net-nds/openldap (or wherever your portage overlay is, make sure it's defined in your make.conf).

2. Remove the Changelog, Manifest and metadata.xml from the overlay dir.

3. Copy the openldap-ntlm.diff file to the files directory in the overlay dir.

4. Replace openldap-2.1.30.ebuild by the one on my webpage (Basically unchanged, except I added the NTLM patch to it).

5. Run
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" USE="sasl" emerge =openldap-2.1.30

6. Recompile the connector (I also have it in my overlay dir, with this ebuild, so I can just use
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge ximian-connector

If you want it really neat, add
Code:
net-nds/openldap ~x86
mail-client/ximian-connector ~x86

to your /etc/portage/package.keywords ;), so you don't have to specify the keywords all the time (and emerge world won't want to downgrade stuff).

Let me know if you need more help, like my exact USE flags or so.

Last edited by jmd on Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works like a charm!
thanks!
kpoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i'm not an expert at all on this !
i did what u said on the post, patching openldap etc... and now I try to set up my evolution client to use an exchange server but get "Could not connect to server COMPAY: SSL handshake failed"
i dont know wht's going on there ?
i dont know well what to put on all server configuration through evolution ?
i also dont know what means OWA path and how do i know what it should be... also about "mailbox name", i put my username or what ? finally public folder name etc...
the only thing i know is my username is "stegmanp", the exchange server, as set up on outlook clients, is "compay"

i would really appreciate if someone could point me to what can be wrong now ?

thanks a lot!
jmd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpoman wrote:
hi
i'm not an expert at all on this !
i did what u said on the post, patching openldap etc... and now I try to set up my evolution client to use an exchange server but get "Could not connect to server COMPAY: SSL handshake failed"
i dont know wht's going on there ?
i dont know well what to put on all server configuration through evolution ?
i also dont know what means OWA path and how do i know what it should be... also about "mailbox name", i put my username or what ? finally public folder name etc...
the only thing i know is my username is "stegmanp", the exchange server, as set up on outlook clients, is "compay"

i would really appreciate if someone could point me to what can be wrong now ?

thanks a lot!

Certainly ;-). Did you try running "ximian-connector-setup" to configure your account?

The "SSL handshake failed" message probably means that you've enabled secure passwords, and you have to select plaintext passwords.

OWA means outlook web access - put in the same path (http://mywebserver.company.com/exchange/) that also works in your browser - if it doesn't, the connector won't help you either I'm afraid. Your mailbox name (which usually is the same as your username) can then be seen in the browser's URL bar (see Ximian's FAQ for the exact details).

Ask your sysadmin what to use for the public folder server, as well as for the GC server - though tehre are some pointer's in Ximian's FAQ for the latter.
kpoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great!
now ximian-connector-setup is working (i had some libkrb issues before)

i am trying to enter the OWA url ... the only thing i know is that when i do:

http://webmail.my-company.com

it asks for my login / password (those i use on the win2k network) and it then redirects to:

http://webmail.my-company.com/exchange/

so i entered that address, but it tells me it cant find out the GC server (global catalog so i am kind of stuck !
could you please tell me if the OWA is that thing i entered there (
http://webmail.my-company.com/exchange/ ) or where i can find out this information n the 2000 server ?

thank you for this !
kpoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops!!!
well i got it working !!!
the url wasn't working because it was a public one... but using the internal one (from my works lan / intranet) it did work and now i am connected with evolution to my exchange stuff!!!!! great !!!!! :)

thanks for the tutorial it did perfectly work !
kpoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
well i am able to read and send my emails, and have the contact list and all this !
i even get the public folders (where u can add tasklists and all that) . evolution allows me to change the task status, for example ... but when saving this, it doesn't really save the update, and doesn't complain about nothing ! so i wonder if it is possible or it is readonly ?
chiledog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs at all for me, using the ebuild from bugs.gentoo.org.
Spent ages try to setup account manually, just wouldn't work.
When i used the ximian-connector-setup, i had to put DOMAIN\User, then it found my GAL server.
Only thing a bit wierd is it doesn't list the Contacts until i click on find (without entering any wildcards).
I didn't install any of the patches mentioned above but i have openldap installed.
dunno if thats worth 2 cents or not.
JaquesStrap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having issues trying to compile connector. I have the following Evolution installed:
Code:
emerge -s evolution
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : evolution ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  mail-client/evolution
      Latest version available: 1.4.6
      Latest version installed: 1.2.4
      Size of downloaded files: 15,509 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.ximian.com
      Description: A GNOME groupware application, a Microsoft Outlook workalike
      License:     GPL-2

This is the error that I get when I attempt to emerge connector:
Code:
emerge /usr/portage/mail-client/ximian-connector/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1.ebuild
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) mail-client/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) ximian-connector-1.4.7.1.tar.gz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking ximian-connector-1.4.7.1.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1/work
>>> Source unpacked.
 * Patching ${S}/ltmain.sh...
 *   Applying portage-1.4.1.patch...
 *   Applying max_cmd_len-1.5.0.patch...
 *   Applying sed-1.4.3.patch...
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for working aclocal-1.4... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake-1.4... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking Evolution version... configure: error: Evolution development libraries not installed

!!! ERROR: mail-client/ximian-connector-1.4.7.1 failed.
!!! Function econf, Line 365, Exitcode 1
!!! econf failed

Any suggestions are appreciated!
-JS
jmd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaquesStrap - try upgrading to Evo 1.4.6. From what I read, you still have 1.2.4 installed.

Did you get the connector ebuild from bugs.gentoo.org?
kpoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiledog wrote:
No probs at all for me, using the ebuild from bugs.gentoo.org.
Spent ages try to setup account manually, just wouldn't work.
When i used the ximian-connector-setup, i had to put DOMAIN\User, then it found my GAL server.
Only thing a bit wierd is it doesn't list the Contacts until i click on find (without entering any wildcards).
I didn't install any of the patches mentioned above but i have openldap installed.
dunno if thats worth 2 cents or not.

well
actually everything is working even on the Public folders stuff... i can add comments even on a task... i can modify also the task achievement status but this is not saved, donno why, i suppose it is a bug !
if u can just give it a try, on public folders try to modify to 100% or to finalized, and you should see the problem
JaquesStrap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
JaquesStrap - try upgrading to Evo 1.4.6. From what I read, you still have 1.2.4 installed.

Did you get the connector ebuild from bugs.gentoo.org?

I did get the connector ebuild from bugs.gentoo.org. I thought I had to be running 1.2.4 though as seems to be indicated from the ebuild file?
Quote:
# Just reading from configure.in ...
RDEPEND=">=mail-client/evolution-1.2

Anyway I am upgrading to 1.4.6 now to see what happens. I will post my results when its finished.
Thanks for the suggestion.
-JS
JaquesStrap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that worked. Only now I find out our Exchange server is the wrong version. :evil:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: