Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
entrance + xfce4 = errors ? (please help!!!!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkarchon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: entrance + xfce4 = errors ? (please help!!!!) Reply with quote

has anyone gotten entrance to work with xfce ?

i have entrance 0.9.0.20040501 and xfce4 4.0.5. but entrance does not lead to xfce4. in other words:

i can boot up a system. i see entranced being started and the default entrance screen pops up (dark brown with the spinning e). i can type in a user name and password and then it just hangs. for some reason xfce4 does not pick up at this point.

my rc.conf has entrance as the display manager and xfce4 as the xsession.

the xsession-errors i see in my home directory state something about display 0 (that entrance starts) cannot be connected to by xfce4.

anyone having this working ?
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry, 1775

Last edited by darkarchon on Mon May 03, 2004 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkarchon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the heck... does no one use entrance with xfce4 ?

what do the xfce4 users actually use for their display manager ? gdm ? kdm ?
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry, 1775
darkarchon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bttt. (back to the top).

hoping someone sees this and has some insight. i am going nuts.

:oops:
Tronic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes use xdm. It is totally ugly and stinks in every possible way - but it loads quickly and works.

When not using that, I use startx on console.

Since I'm pretty much the only local user on boxes I'm running, it would be much better to have autologin. For such thing, anything heavier than xdm would be total overkill, but unfortunately I haven't found out how to do that with xdm. Of course I could just write my own "display manager" that doesn't even try to display any windows, but justs logs the default user in.
theonlymcc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I too am having the same problem darkarchon is having. No you are not alone.
darkarchon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theonlymcc wrote:
Yes I too am having the same problem darkarchon is having. No you are not alone.

i gave up on entrance. i switched over to gdm since it is themeable. i did get gdm to work with xfce. had to do a minor tweaking. gdm requires you to have an ~/.xsession file.
LeTene
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkarchon wrote:
theonlymcc wrote:

i gave up on entrance. i switched over to gdm since it is themeable. i did get gdm to work with xfce. had to do a minor tweaking. gdm requires you to have an ~/.xsession file.

GDM doen't require the .xsession file...it looks in the X11 Sessions directory (/etc/X11/Sessions I think, can't be sure, I'm at work) for a list of possible sessions. An emerge of XFCE4 puts one there automatically and, if I remember correctly, mine was just a symlink to the startxfce4 script.

The .xsession is for the "other" option in GDM (is it called "users default session" or something?)
darkarchon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeTene wrote:
The .xsession is for the "other" option in GDM (is it called "users default session" or something?)

yep... good clarification... i wanted the default to be the xfce4 session... and it was not getting picked up... so had to put the .xsession...

also i emerged gdm after xorg so i noticed in some of the gdm config files it was referencing /etc/X11/XF86Config... i had to change that to /etc/X11/xorg.conf... don't know if it mattered but just did it for the sake of correctness...
Teetante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use enlightenment D16.7 and entrance.
For it to work properly, I had to generate
Code:

/etc/X11/Sessions/enlightenment.desktop

and

Code:

/usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop

they are linked and contain the following
Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Enlightenment                               # e.g. kde
Comment=Enlightenment Session starten  # e.g. kde
Exec=enlightenment                                # e.g. startkde
TryExec=enlightenment                             # e.g. startkde
# no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
Icon=
Type=Application

I found that in a thread in this forum. Maybe searching for entrance and .desktop will halep.

btw: I had to switch entrance themes to be able to login (the standart theme (with the brown e) did not let me log in, so I switched to "Taillights", which works perfectly here.
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN tante@emptiness.de
Occam's Razor:
-"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."-
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have the same problem as me but I don't think it's just XFCE-4 that's having trouble.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=169928&highlight=entrance
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: