View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catalYst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: USB/devfs Problems Reply with quote

Hey, I'm having a bit of a problem with USB devices...

I'm trying to get GNOME to use my Visor, but I don't know where in the /dev tree the USB components are located. I can't find them in the place most systems would have them (e.g. /dev/ttyUSBx)

NOTE: I have my kernel configed with USB support, USB serial converter <M>, Generic serial driver, and USB Handspring Visor <M>, and UHCI support)

Any help would be appreciated...

-cat

UPDATE: Eh, sorry this should probably be in the install/config sectoin...oh well....
leifbrown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: Been there. Done that. Reply with quote

1) The first rule of sync'ing your Visor is that you make sure you have the hotplug package installed.

2) The second rule of sync'ing your Visor is that you make sure you have the hotplug package installed.

3) You will *not* need to alter /etc/devfsd.conf. You also will not need to alter any scripts or hotplug configuration files. Anyone who says you do is WRONG! You will break your system and spend a LONG time time fixing it.

4) Check that you've got the USB filesystem compiled into your kernel. You don't *need* it, but it makes thing much easier. If you've got it, you hit the hotsync button on the cradle, wait two seconds and then
cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

If you see a listing for the Visor, you know the devices communicate. It's all downhill from there. (You may want to cat the file before you hit the sync button, and then just compare the lengths of the files. Save yourself the trouble of going through the text. Also, the device will ONLY be listed while the Visor is actively trying to connect. As soon as it gives up, your computer will forget this ever happened.)

If you don't see the device, you'll need to check the module loading logs, run lsmod, that sort of thing. You want to confirm whether the computer even saw anything.

5) Hit the sync button on the cradle, and look at the following nodes:

If you are NOT running usbdevfs (why not?):
/dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB1

If you ARE running usbdevfs (a wise choice.):
/dev/usb/tts/0
/dev/usb/tts/1

Again, please note that if you ARE running usbdevfs, these nodes will NOT be visible unless the Visor is actively trying to sync AT THAT VERY MOMENT. You may not even see /dev/usb/tts. I suggest typing
ls /dev/usb/tts
in a terminal and then hitting [tab] repeatedly while trying to sync. Eventually, you'll see the name completion kick out the names of the nodes.

6) If you do not see the nodes, or you do not see the nodes appear on their own:

mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
or
mkdir /dev/usb/tts
mknod /dev/usb/tts/0 c 188 0
mknod /dev/usb/tts/1 c 188 1

Repeat step 5). You really should see the nodes pop up now.

8... No... 7) make sure the nodes have been chmod'ed such that you can access them. You know better than to run as root. The solution I like is to create a group "pda" and make myself a user, then to chgrp on the nodes, and then to chmod as appropriate. You won't need "x" privs. Depending on whether you want to move data to your pda, from your pda or both, you should set the "r" & "w" bits.

8, for real) try connecting to the Visor for a backup (yes, you'll need the "r" bit set on the node). if you're using pilot-link (and you probably are) this will be:

pilot-link -p /dev/[$YOURNODE]1 -b [$BACKUP_FOLDER]

Yes, I know it's connecting on 0 AND 1. It's doing that because the people writing this software are MALICIOUS BASTARDS! Or the 0 connection is used to verify that there *is* a connection, and the 1 device acutally transmits the data. Your call.

Your Visor should go through the usual litany of backing up for the first time. Probably take about five, ten minutes.

9)
ln -s /dev/usb/tts/1 /dev/visor
ln -s /dev/usb/tts/1 /dev/palm
ln -s /dev/usb/tts/1 /dev/pilot
ln -s /dev/usb/tts/1 /dev/pda

(You want to be thorough, don't you?)

--Note: I eventually realized the commands above had the arguments reversed. Fixed now. LB--

10)
You should be up and running, now.

DO NOT TRY TO SYNC THE SAME DATA INTO TWO APPS. They will sync against the Visor, and then they will sync against each other, and then against the Visor again. That's right. You'll double everything. Each time you sync.

If you're still having, send me a message and I'll arrange to walk down that thorny, overgrown path with you. When I haven't had so much caffeine.

Now, ask me how to get the Evolution Contacts conduit not to crash thu Gnome Command Center.
GO ON! I DARE YOU!

Last edited by leifbrown on Fri May 31, 2002 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
leifbrown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Hey, moderators! Reply with quote

I want my +5, Informative, NOW!
:twisted:
catalYst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hey, thank you very much...I just didn't know where I was supposed to find the usb devices. I got everything nice a hooked-up now.

I'd give ya +5 informative if I could/knew how...

-cat
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
8... No... 7) make sure the nodes have been chmod'ed such that you can access them. You know better than to run as root. The solution I like is to create a group "pda" and make myself a user, then to chgrp on the nodes, and then to chmod as appropriate. You won't need "x" privs. Depending on whether you want to move data to your pda, from your pda or both, you should set the "r" & "w" bits

Yeah... probably - but I'm a newbie - could anybody tell me how to create a group, and make myself a user and so on!!! What do I need to do!!!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostInGentoo wrote:
Yeah... probably - but I'm a newbie - could anybody tell me how to create a group, and make myself a user and so on!!! What do I need to do!!!

Several programs will help you with this, and the "man" command will tell you details about all of them.
Code:
$ man useradd
$ man groupadd
$ man usermod
$ man chmod
$ man chgrp
$ man vigr

...should get you started.
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure... Now I've created a group called pda... but how do I add myself to this group..
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should use the usermod command - but how - I can't really see
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the username is preben - is this then correct:

Code:
usermod -g pda preben
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how do I then synchronize with evolution? I Installede evolution with the PDA option - but how can I actually synchronize with it!!!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostInGentoo wrote:
If the username is preben - is this then correct:

Code:
usermod -g pda preben

You probably want "-G" to change supplementary group membership, rather than "-g", which will change your main group.
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

preben was a brand new user - was the user then member of any other group by standard?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostInGentoo wrote:
preben was a brand new user - was the user then member of any other group by standard?

Yes, every user must have a main login group. The useradd man page suggests that this default is 1, but I think that Gentoo actually defaults to putting users in the "users" group (100). This is, of course, assuming that you did not explicitly specify a login group with the -g option to useradd when you created preben.

You should be able to verify the login group as follows:
Code:
$ grep preben /etc/passwd

...which will probably give you something like:
Code:
preben:x:1001:100::/home/preben:/bin/bash

The fourth field (the "100") is the login group.
Code:
$ man 5 passwd

for more details.
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've done this - Is that correct:

Code:

usermod -g 100 preben
usermod -G pda preben
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is correct - how do I then set up Evolution so I can synchronice with the program!
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - know evolution is running on my user Preben.. But when I push the HotSync button.. Nothing happens... There's contact, but nothing else... I see the /dev/usb/tts/0 and /dev/usb/tts/1 when I push the hotsync button.. But I still don't know how to sync the data. HOW???? Do I need a package that I'm not aware of!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
usermod -g 100 preben
usermod -G pda preben
Sorry I can't help with your PDA (I don't have one). I'd just like to mention, that using 'usermod -G groupname username' will remove you from all secondary groups except for the groupname you specified. For example, if I type 'groups', it reports that I belong to "users wheel cron audio cdrom". If I do 'usermod -G pda username', groups will report that I only belong to the pda group. Instead, use the usermod command as such:
Code:
# groups
users wheel cron audio cdrom
To get alist of the groups you belong to, then:
Code:
usermod -G users,wheel,cron,audio,cdrom,pda
. That maintains your membership and adds the new group. I'm sure someone can come along and mention a better way.
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. But I still can't sync with my PDA!
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostInGentoo wrote:
Okay - know evolution is running on my user Preben.. But when I push the HotSync button.. Nothing happens... There's contact, but nothing else... I see the /dev/usb/tts/0 and /dev/usb/tts/1 when I push the hotsync button.. But I still don't know how to sync the data. HOW???? Do I need a package that I'm not aware of!

I am your knight in shining armor! I got my handspring to sync up with Evolution and my Gnome Conduits doesn't crash anymore.
I followed directions that are at http://usbvisor.sourceforge.net in the howto section (to the T, cept I compiled in all my stuff rather than modules, just simpler). Do all of those directions, up to the PPP part, then do what I say, and it should work.

Then launch Evolution, don't do anything, exit evolution. This clears up some problems evo has anyways such as adding more than one pop3 account to the inbox. Then launch Evo again and go to "Tools" "Pilot Settings", the conduits will probably crash but that is ok.

You should have a link from /dev/pilot to /dev/usb/tts/1 and /dev/usb/tts/1 should be chmod 777 for right now, just to make things simple.

Leave the default /dev/pilot how it is, and the 57600 how it is, then choose Handspring USB.
Next. Where it asks if you have ever synced before, say yes, I don't care if you have or not.
Then next, and it should say to push hotsync button, and for me, on the second try of doing all this, it worked. Then exit Evo, and open it again, go to the tools, pilot settings and setup the conduits, it won't crash anymore. I don't send my email to my visor, just too much email.

Then when evo is open, push hot sync.

All is well in the world, pilot syncs with Evo......
:D

And if not, PM me, or post again and I will try to help.

Andrew
brackenhill_mob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Been there. Done that. Reply with quote

leifbrown wrote:
1) The first rule of sync'ing your Visor is that you make sure you have the hotplug package installed.

<snip>

3) You will *not* need to alter /etc/devfsd.conf. You also will not need to alter any scripts or hotplug configuration files. Anyone who says you do is WRONG! You will break your system and spend a LONG time time fixing it.

Hmm, well I have a problem doing this. I just get a message in the logs saying

Code:
[/etc/hotplug/usb.agent] ... no modules for USB product 82d/100/100

But if I modify /etc/devfsd.conf without having hotplug installed gnome-pilot/evolution works like a champ.

I'd like to get hotplugging to work as I want to use jphoto with my Sony DSC-P5 camera as I used to do under Mandrake 8.2.

Help/advice would be much appreciated.

Philip
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: My experience Reply with quote

I should say, straight off the bat, that I don't have a visor. But, I did have *much* trouble some months ago getting a usb->four-port-serial converter working. I also needed hotplug to work properly.

I was having significant kernel-level errors, which I can't recall off the top of my head. The solution for me was to go the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel -- and by god that fixed it right up. Hotplug works perfectly, the device shows up as /dev/usb/tts/{0,1,2,3}, and the best part is that I didn't need to modify devfsd.conf or do any other magic.

It was all just a matter of the smattering of patches that make of the gentoo kernel -- they caused some angriness with the usb serial module. I say, give it a shot with a vanilla kernel, it might do the trick.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for some things not liking the Gentoo kernel, I agree, my T22 laptop has some trouble with some settings in the Gentoo kernel and it will fail on compilation. But the vanilla works fine. I finally got the Gentoo kernel to compile, but it took some time to get it right.
I second the try of the vanilla sources first.

Andrew
brackenhill_mob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, but I'm not having the same problem(s).

Hotplug works fine. It just complains that it can't find any info about the Visor in its configuration files.

The 2nd message in this thread by leifbrown specifically stated that you didn't need to make any changes to the Hotplug setup for this to work. My point is that I clearly do need to make changes for the Visor, but I don't know what or where to start.

Any ideas?

Philip
acidreign
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: m130 Reply with quote

Well, seems like the m130 doesnt seem to work with 2.4.18 and below, only now am i beginning to see the /dev/usb/tts/0 and 1 now that I have upgraded to 2.4.19.

This was driving me insane.
brackenhill_mob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever run 2.4.19 with Gentoo so I never had your problem, although I didn't have it with Mandrake 8.2 and the stock kernel shipped with that release (2.4.8 from memory)

Philip
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: