Blank GUI tabs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewtonTwo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Blank GUI tabs? Reply with quote

I am unable to view tabs within gui windows in any of my apps. For example xmms loads fine, runs fine, however when I attempt to access the 'Preferences', all the tabbed windows are blank, no text, checkboxes, text fields, etc.

I loaded another gui app and found the same. I have no gui options removed in my USE flags (i.e. no -kde -qt -gnome or -gtk). I've searched extensively for an answer, but only found that I can't even clearly define a proper question to get to the answer. My nearest guess is I have yet to compile some necessary gui libraries.

I am using fluxbox wm and 2.6.3 kernel. Any help is greatly appreciated, even if it helps me more clearly define a proper question to seach.

Thanks,
Brian
stgreek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with Gnome 2.6. Anyone got any ideas?
NewtonTwo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Blank GUI tabs? Reply with quote

I now believe that the problem lies in these apps not having gtk+2 support yet. I have just recently built gentoo and emerged gtk+ 2.2.

According to the gtk+ site, 1.2 and 2 can be simutaneously installed, I am installing gtk+ 1.2 right now to see if that in fact fixes the problem.

Brian
NewtonTwo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Blank GUI tabs? Reply with quote

No luck with that
Heffaklumpen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=152765

Perhaps there are some clues there. I don't know how to fix it. Since I have the same problem with the UT2004 installation I really want to have it fixed
NewtonTwo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Blank GUI tabs? [solved] Reply with quote

Solved! Much thanks Heffaklumpen for pointing that thread out, I searched and searched but never saw that one.

As far as how I fixed it. As I posted above, I installed gtk+ 1.2, but that hadn't fixed it. I only mention it as the possibilty remains that that along with this next bit was the answer.

I found this unrelated post
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-July/013413.html
and gave the section on creating/modifying my .gtkrc file to add a default font which then worked like a charm.

So in summary I ensured I had gtk+ 1.2 installed then added this section to my ~/.gtkrc file (which I had to create)

Code:

style "default" {
        font = "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15"
    }

Hope this proves useful, thanks for the link again. Let me know if I can offer anymmore help.

Brian

Heffaklumpen wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=152765

Perhaps there are some clues there. I don't know how to fix it. Since I have the same problem with the UT2004 installation I really want to have it fixed
goalie31
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem here.

Glad to hear you could solve it. Unfortunately, emerging gtk 1.2 and adding these lines to my .gtkrc doesn't help :(
goalie31
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to say that it's solved for me, too:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=157032
Heffaklumpen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOHO!

Thanks for the solution NewtonTwo.
Pointyswords
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i was able to get a solution by following these steps (with inspiration from above) edit: and by 'above' i am referring to the previous posts, not to any sort of divine influence ;)

1. made sure i had the latest gtk+ 2.x via emerge

2. installed gtk 1.2.9 from source at http://www.gtk.org/

i specifically chose 1.2.9 since if you read the README it installs itself in a specific way to be compatible with gtk+ 2 installations (so that they can co-exist i guess).

I chose to install it from source by hand rather than using emerge because i never want this particular gtk to be upgraded or removed by emerge

3. installed glib 1.2.9 from source by hand at http://www.gtk.org/

I chose 1.2.9 for the same reason as gtk+ 1.2.9

4. followed the instructions above about adding fonts entries to the .gtkrc file (though im not sure if this is necessary).

5. restart gnome/X11

again, i wanted to keep the older gtk OUT of portage/emerge so that there's no chance of it getting upgraded/removed/whatever and that i can upgrade and emerge gtk+ 2 independently of gtk+ 1

that should do it! let me know if you see any problems with those steps.
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would let portage handle it. you can lock a package into place if you really want (packages.mask) you can also specify specfic use flags for certain packages...which is what i think gtk1 is having issues with. i don't see any benefits of building it by hand.
Pointyswords
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
i would let portage handle it. you can lock a package into place if you really want (packages.mask) you can also specify specfic use flags for certain packages...which is what i think gtk1 is having issues with. i don't see any benefits of building it by hand.
yes, but i also want gtk+ 2 to be upgraded normally and independently of gtk+ 1.2.9... im pretty sure that gentoo portage system views gtk+ 2 and gtk+ 1.2.9 has different versions of the same package... wouldn't gentoo portage try to resolve the older packages and upgrade them?
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was put "=x11-libs/gtk+-1.2.10-r10" in packages.mask and gtk+2 was still able to update. so i guess it works fine. gtk 1.2.10 works for me now, i just had to remove the -msse2 CFLAG when i compiled it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: