8%  [ 23 ]
I have an NVidia card, and it never worked
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 271

Duty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: ATI and NVidia official driver poll Reply with quote

I can't get my Radeon to work with the official drivers. I am thinking about buying an NVidia card to replace it, but am worried that if the drivers for it don't work either, I'll have no 3D support whatsoever. So I'd like to poll the success rate for them (and the ATI drivers too, for comparison.)

I've also heard the Matrox G400 drivers are the best of the DRI Project's open-source ones. Does anyone have one of the cards? Are they adequate for somewhat behind-the-curve gaming (Legends, Q3A, PlayStation emulators)?

Anyway. please only vote if you have tried the official ati-drivers or nvidia-drivers ebuilds.
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nVidia card, it works perfectly, I have an ATi card (and have had others) and it barely works at all and they have always given me heaps of trouble.
The difference was very noticeable after switching.
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As icculus once said recently: nVidia's drivers are very good. And ATI's are worthless.

If you're a Linux user, your options for good video are: nVidia, and old Matrox cards. Period. Everything else is too buggy, unoptimized, feature-lacking, or all of the above.

But I wouldn't recommend a Matrox G400 for gaming, it's very old, and Matrox isn't really into 3D anyway. The cheapest nVidia card you can find on the market right now (ie. GeForce 4 MX) will have far better 3D than that.

Personally, I own a GeForce FX 5600 and I'm very happy with it.
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nVidia products have never given me a lick of trouble in Linux or Windows. Their driver support is top notch. While ATI has made some strides in recent years, they've still got a lot of catching up to do.
Imek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Geforce 4 MX440 with no trouble since I started with Linux, and I soon plan to get a Geforce FX5600. It's a good thing I had an nvidia card, because if I hadn't known how crap ATI's Linux drivers are I might have bought an ATI card.
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not directly related, but I just wanted to add that nVidia's motherboard chipsets, on the other hand, have terrible Linux support. Stay away from them! I own a nForce2 mobo and, unlike my GeForce FX 5600, I am definitely NOT happy with it.
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntergalacticWalrus wrote:
Not directly related, but I just wanted to add that nVidia's motherboard chipsets, on the other hand, have terrible Linux support. Stay away from them! I own a nForce2 mobo and, unlike my GeForce FX 5600, I am definitely NOT happy with it.

I'm definitely VERY happy with my nForce2 motherboard (Shuttle Ultra 400 AN35N-Ultra) - not to mention the GF2 and 3 that I have used (am looking forward to getting a FX5900XT) - w00f!
NumaSan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GeForce256 DDR and haven't had (stability) problems with it since the very early drivers. The newest drivers (5336) also gave me a little performance-boost in Q3, so I'm happy :) My next card will definately be from nVidia.

I just hope that ATi will focus more on their linux-drivers and get on par with nVidia (or better). A lot of people have bought Radeons since they are the performance-leaders now (in the Windows-world anyway), and they will get very disapointet(sp?) with their linux-experience... but with ATi & MS working together (DirectX + Xbox2) we shouldn't hold our breath :roll:
BlindSpy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ATI card and in Windows, it worked great! In linux however, it was so crappy that I had to stop playing my favorite game (Americas Army). I talked to an Americas Army developer and he basically told me that ATI puts no effort at all towards their linux drivers and is never planing to, even though they've been asked by the US Army.

I now have to go out and buy an nvidia card because ATI is so worthless with their linux drivers.
Proton
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's one for ATI. I have never had any problems with my ATI card or drivers. I just installed Gentoo, emerged ati-drivers, configured X, solved a few problems with DRI and stuff in the kernel and that was it. No problems so far.

Recently I even upgraded to a newer version of the ATI drivers (3.7.6) which everyone seemed to be complaining about, and there's no problem! Not in frozen bubble, trackballs, neverball, gltron, armagetron or NWN (don't think I have any other GL games installed). Everything works, no memory leaks, nothing. I don't understand how other people can have so many problems if it works fine here... The only problem I have is that sometimes when I return from the console to X the screen is garbled, but all it takes is maximizing a window or something to redraw the screen and that's it (and that's probably a problem with radeonfb, not the ati-drivers).

I guess I'm just lucky... Anyway, I'm glad I am, because it's well known that ATI cards are better than NVidia's from a technical point of view; better performance, better image quality, which is something that is being quite neglected in this thread... Well, not that I can talk a lot about performance with my Radeon 9000 :)

But really guys, stop bashing ATI unless you talk from personal experience (as a few have, already). I've seen a lot of people bitch about ATI drivers without ever having had a Radeon. Granted, the drivers could be better, but they work for me so far. And if they work for me they could work for you, that's all.
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaiah wrote:

I'm definitely VERY happy with my nForce2 motherboard (Shuttle Ultra 400 AN35N-Ultra) - not to mention the GF2 and 3 that I have used (am looking forward to getting a FX5900XT) - w00f!

Well for starters the onboard ethernet has very limited support out of the Windows world due to its closed nature, which is a real pain in the ass. Sure, the forcedeth driver works like a charm, but it's not in Knoppix (#!@$) and most other distros. And I bet there's no *BSD driver, or BeOS driver, etc...

Then, there's the onboard audio, which has no decent driver for it. nVidia's driver is just a slightly patched version of the kernel's intel8x0 driver, and with ALSA it's pretty much the same thing. Either way, your audio runs in AC'97 mode, which is like the worst audio hardware possible.

Also, the APIC on most nForce2's is hopelessly broken and crashes your system under Linux 2.6 if enabled (ie. it usually is). Sure, you can just not compile APIC, or add "noapic nolapic" to your kernel parameters, but it's still freaking broken.

Last edited by IntergalacticWalrus on Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moofed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tower has a GeForce4ti and my laptop has a Mobility Radeon (one of the first radeons), but I voted on the second poll option.

The geforce has never given me problems and I am grateful for nvidia's support of linux.

The radeon is touch and go. First of all, this is with the opensource xfree drivers, not ati's release as those dont support older cards :? . Opengl works, but is practically useless since it only has 8mb of ram to work with. I gave up trying to get scorched3d to work; there were all sorts of artifacts and they killed the framerate whenever onscreen, otherwise it gave decent speed, albeit no text. Blender will die if the render to a window function is used. Descent3 had horrible black triangles in the menus and was a slideshow; I didnt bother trying to actually play. Other programs work well: neverball, armagetron (after tweaking gfx settings), zsnes (using opengl target) ...glxgears :lol:
Jowilly
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an ATI, radeon 9800 XT.

Works great.

The ati drivers don't actually work with xfree 4.4 (it's not in portage anyway). But work great with xfree up to 4.3.99.902. (with xfree 4.3.0, when I ctrl-alt-fn to leave X for a terminal, it resets X, very anoying. Problem is solved with 4.3.99.902).
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proton wrote:

I guess I'm just lucky... Anyway, I'm glad I am, because it's well known that ATI cards are better than NVidia's from a technical point of view; better performance, better image quality, which is something that is being quite neglected in this thread... Well, not that I can talk a lot about performance with my Radeon 9000 :)

That may not be being talked about as without good drivers none of it comes into play. You could have the best hardware in the world, but without a decent set of drivers it will run like ass.
I can speak from personal experience with a Radeon 9600XT, Radeon 7000 Mobility, GeForceMX440, and GeForce FX5900XT. I've tried every set of Linux drivers under the sun for those Radeon cards, and in every test I've run the MX440 almost always out performed the 9600XT (IIRC). Despite the ATi card being far superior hardware wise.

But if your card does work as it should, congratulations, you're the first one in that situation that I've met.
Boohbah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree. My ASUS A7N8X works flawlessly with forcedeth net driver, intel8x0 sound driver, and local APIC enabled.

(Note, however, that virgins tend to know a lot about computers.)
ChojinDSL
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraid wrote:

I have to disagree. My ASUS A7N8X works flawlessly with forcedeth net driver, intel8x0 sound driver, and local APIC enabled.

I have the same motherboard. Could you tell me which kernel you use? 2.4? 2.6? vanilla, gentoo-sources?
Stolz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a nvida GFORCE 4 Ti4800 with FW & SBA activated and works great!
Boohbah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChojinDSL wrote:
kraid wrote:

I have the same motherboard. Could you tell me which kernel you use? 2.4? 2.6? vanilla, gentoo-sources?

Using vanilla 2.6.4 at the moment.

(Note, however, that virgins tend to know a lot about computers.)
Evil Dark Archon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more for nvidia, i replaced the ati radeon 9500 pro in my computer with an old nvidia geforce 3 i had laying around and it was either equal or better than the radeon 9500 so that illustrates the sad state of ati's drivers.

Registered Linux user 347334
Abit AV8-3rd eye, AMD Athlon64 3500+ 90nm, ATI Radeon x850 pro
Corp.Nobbs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the M$ world, ATI seem to be getting the praise at the mo.. But certainly in the Linux world, Nvidia rocks. I've never had a problem with my Geforce256 and then a Geforce3. The beauty being there's no need to load a different driver. The nvidia driver does all.. When I get some spare cash and get my AMD64, I will without hesitation get a newer Geforce. :lol:
120GB Barracuda SATA
Geforce 3
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had nvidia gfx and they all worked flawlessly under linux. Same for nforce boards.
One of the things that shows that nvidia is much more interested in linux than ati, is that nvidia has already released nvidia drivers (geforce) that work in native 64-bit systems while ATI isn't even talking about it.
Nvidia all the way
Some Guy []
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problems with my ati 9700 pro here... i think the biggest problem is people just trying to install the ati drivers without reading the docs (kernel config). pretty much every time there's a problem it's because someone enabled DRI in their kernel or compiled their kernel with built-in agp driver...

-justin
himpierre
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I use nvidia cards in linux since the tnt days. Never had serious problems. Now i have a fx5900 in my 64bit system running. Well it just works.

Thomas
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both nvidia and ati drivers and have never had a single problem with them - that includes multiple kernel changes (damn you love-sources :D ) and changing to udev, etc.

My nvidia was an Asus Ti4200 and my latest is an Asus 9800XT - I have had direct rendering and 3d available from the word go with both.

Out of interest I have used nforce2 mobo's for the past year or so and always compile the agp into the kernel.

I'm not necessarily larging up ATI drivers, it's that I have never had a problem and I get the results I expect from my card.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use an nvidia card and had no problems whatsoever using them (and I've used all versions)
Quote:

I guess I'm just lucky... Anyway, I'm glad I am, because it's well known that ATI cards are better than NVidia's from a technical point of view; better performance, better image quality, which is something that is being quite neglected in this thread... Well, not that I can talk a lot about performance with my Radeon 9000

When it comes to 2d thats already in the past (e.g. nvidia's 2d is not worse/better than ati's), when it comes to 3d I only think that FSAA is better with ati (however I cant see the difference when playing) and I feel that ati's aniosotrpic filtering is somewhat better, their performance and opengl support does suck (using linux)
Quote:

But really guys, stop bashing ATI unless you talk from personal experience (as a few have, already). I've seen a lot of people bitch about ATI drivers without ever having had a Radeon. Granted, the drivers could be better, but they work for me so far. And if they work for me they could work for you, that's all

Its a simple fact that people have more problems installing ati's drivers, this, combined with the lousy performance, simply gives nvidia the edge when you want to game on linux.

Ati's linux support seems to resemble their crappy windows support a few years back
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: