1)Old linux headers, 2) slow download speed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amittp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: 1)Old linux headers, 2) slow download speed Reply with quote

During Nvidia kernel installation, my compliation came to halt when it failed to find modversion.h. I never had this problem before. I guess that this file in found in linux-headers. So I checked for linux-headers and found that 2.4.18 linux-headers are available instead of 2.4.19. The sys-kernel/linux-headers path shows that 2.4.19.ebuild is available. So this problem stunned me.
(yes,, emerge rsync and emerge -u portage done)

Another problem is that I am getting very low speeds from ibiblio.org. In order of 200-800B/s. If lucky, the speed is up by 1.2K. I used to get 14-25K speed about two weeks before. Also, i get normal speeds on other sites.. Can anyone sugest me better Gentoo_Mirror... or what can be problem. I also tried using prozilla. It hardly improved things..

So right now I am stuck with low speeds and not able to update world coz of nvidia problem...

*Help*
Thanks in advance
pludo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting the slow download problem too. Lately, it can't resolve ibiblio.org, and just starts downloading things from packetfactory.net, at around 1000B/s...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is /usr/src/linux linked to the correct location?
cbm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1)Old linux headers, 2) slow download speed Reply with quote

hey this has been bothering me for a while to but i think i finally found the answer:
the linux-headers package contains the linux .h files that glibc was built against in /usr/include! you don't want to change these! Your kernels (/usr/src/linux) don't have to match the linux-headers package.

When the gentoo hackers give us a glibc built against the 2.4.19 kernel headers then the ebuild for the kernel-headers package will be updated as well --- i.e. not our problem :)

amittp wrote:
So I checked for linux-headers and found that 2.4.18 linux-headers are available instead of 2.4.19. The sys-kernel/linux-headers path shows that 2.4.19.ebuild is available. So this problem stunned me.

for some background, Linus says this:
http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/usr-src-linux-symlink
but thats not directly applicable to gentoo (we don;t symlink /usr/include/linux back to /usr/src/linux/whatever)
oh hell, if you really care go read these other ppl's stuff:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=12554
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3913&highlight=linuxheaders

anyway the long and short of it is apparently, don't mess around with the "linux-headers" package as it has nothing to do with updating your kernel

I hope i got all that close to correct: just figured it out tonight so feel free to start flaming if its all wrong... ;)
amittp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: somehow i got probem solved the other way Reply with quote

Just one day after the problem occured, there was new krenel ebuild available(r9). I just built that and relinked /usr/src/linux to the r9-kernel. This solved my problem.

BTW, even in previous case, my /usr/src/linux was linked to proper source. I checked the NVdrivers ebuild, but didnt find any abnormality. Anyways, the problem is solved now.

About the speed, well there was some kind of problem on our ISP side. Something to do with proxy (As usual, ISP dodnt bother to explain what the problem was)

CBM:- what you wrote is right. I was using LFS few months back and had acame acroos of what you said. So yes, it is certainly right.

I have this one small doubt left though. Are linux-headers required if we have linux-kernel-source? If yes, under what circumstances? If not, then how come there is no problem with glibc if i use new kernel souce and delete the old kernel source directory. If all explaination is not possible, pointer/link will do to:)
Thank you
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: somehow i got probem solved the other way Reply with quote

amittp wrote:

[...]I have this one small doubt left though. [1]Are linux-headers required if we have linux-kernel-source? If yes, [2]under what circumstances? If not, [3]then how come there is no problem with glibc if i use new kernel souce and delete the old kernel source directory. If all [4]explaination is not possible, pointer/link will do to:)
Thank you

I can't answer the first 2 questions, but A.F.A.I.K. the third was already answered in cbm's post:
cbm wrote:

[...]the linux-headers package contains the linux .h files that glibc was built against in /usr/include![...]then the ebuild for the kernel-headers package will be updated as well[...]

The linux-headers are a seperate package and are independent from the kernel sources. So if some kernel-sources package get's deleted it doesn't affect the kernel-headers in the same way as another package will get deleted (Leaving dependencies out of the picture for now :) ).

And about [4]: is this the correct spelling ?! I'm not native english speaking, well.. not fully native.. (my mom's englisch, my dad's dutch, we live in holland so we speak dutch in general, but I speak english a lot too, also because of my english family and stuff) I was just curious,.. it doesn't feel good looking at it :)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: somehow i got probem solved the other way Reply with quote

amittp wrote:
I have this one small doubt left though. Are linux-headers required if we have linux-kernel-source? If yes, under what circumstances? If not, then how come there is no problem with glibc if i use new kernel souce and delete the old kernel source directory. If all explaination is not possible, pointer/link will do to:)
Thank you

Required, no. Recommended, yes. If you really really wanted to, you could remove linux-headers, and symlink or copy the include/asm and include/linux directories from your running kernel source into /usr/include, and then rebuild glibc and every other application on your system every time you change kernel versions, but that doesn't sound like much fun to me.
amittp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: hmm.. then one more question Reply with quote

Hmm, I remember such step being done during LFS. BTW, if linux-headers are recomonded, then during installing, why linux-headers are not downloaded? Or did i miss them coz i built it from stage 3? If linux-headers were not downloaded at any stage.. now will that mean rebuilding everything when i go from 2.4.19 to 2.4.20 ? Shoud i also rebuild when removing gentoo-2.4.19-r7 and building gentoo-2.4.19-r9 .i hope since only ebuild changes, that wont matter much, but wondering coz its handled in different dir, and /usr/src/linux is relinked too?

Wow.. I am realy confused..
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm.. then one more question Reply with quote

amittp wrote:
BTW, if linux-headers are recomonded, then during installing, why linux-headers are not downloaded? Or did i miss them coz i built it from stage 3?

I think they're included in every stage tarball. If you're curious, you can:
Code:
$ emerge -s linux-headers
...to see what's on your system.

Quote:
If linux-headers were not downloaded at any stage.. now will that mean rebuilding everything when i go from 2.4.19 to 2.4.20 ?

I would be extremely surprised if you discovered that you don't have linux-headers installed. You should not have to rebuild everything when you switch kernel versions. The only time you would need to do so is if you are symlinking /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux into your kernel source tree, which is not what Gentoo does by default.

Quote:
Wow.. I am realy confused..

I probably should have been more clear that your original question is not something you need to worry about with a default Gentoo installation. All userland software (including glibc) compiles against the headers in /usr/include, which are managed by the linux-headers package, and do not usually change. The /usr/src/linux symlink is only used by packages that build kernel modules. Those need recompiling when you change kernel versions (or make major changes to your config on the same version).

Under normal circumstances, you don't want to delete linux-headers. You specifically asked if they were "required", which I took to mean "is there no way that I could make my system work if I remove them?", so I tried to answer "there is a way to make your system work without them, but it's hard and complicated and I don't see any real benefit to doing it."

I think I need to take some writing lessons. :)
amittp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: This really needs zillion thanks Reply with quote

Ahhh... My head suddenly feels lighter. Questions that were pending in my mind for long were solved in matter of mins. Thanks for all those replies and thanks specially to RAC. rac, You need no writing lessons, its just that my mind was cluttered with half answered and pending questions since long.

This the best support community I have ever seen. Long live Gentoo and long live this suport community.
(Wish that the so called "tech support" companies have, was atleast somewhere near to this..just had bad experince with it ;-) )
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Still a little confused ... Reply with quote

Forgive me if I should be able to deduce the answers from the aformentioned, but here goes ...

I want to upgrade glibc, due to the recently announced vulnerability. My headers were based on 2.4.18 sources when I bootstrapped, but I'm running a 2.4.19 based kernel. In the intervening time, I've ensured that the linux-headers package is kept at 2.4.18.
Seeing as I'm going to upgrade glibc, I want to take advantage of the 2.4.19 headers:
Code:
emerge linux-headers
emerge glibc

OK, the questions are:
  • Is doing this acceptable? Indeed, is it beneficial or advantageous?
  • If the answer to the above question is yes, then would I need to recompile anything else?
  • If the answer to the first question is no, then (a) under what circumstances would I ever be able to upgrade the linux-headers? and (b) why does Portage want to upgrade my linux-headers if I do "emerge system"? Isn't that dangerous? Is is to do with the state of the Portage tree at the time I built my system (i.e. it *should* have been 2.4.19 when I bootstrapped)?

Many thanks ...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Still a little confused ... Reply with quote

kerframil wrote:
Is doing this acceptable? Indeed, is it beneficial or advantageous?

Acceptable, yes. Beneficial, I don't know. I can tell you that newly minted 1.4rc1 systems use linux-headers 2.4.19, so there's nothing wrong with using those headers per se.
Quote:
would I need to recompile anything else?

It really depends on how much the structure definitions changed, and I haven't looked into it. In theory, you should recompile everything on the entire system when you change linux-headers. You certainly may be able to get away with not doing so on all packages - I would adopt a policy of "if something weird happens, recompile that package and the shared libraries it depends on and see if the problem persists".
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Quote:
I would adopt a policy of "if something weird happens, recompile that package and the shared libraries it depends on and see if the problem persists".

Or leave it alone if one is not prepared to take risks :wink:
Thanks for the reply. Both of my current installations were created from the release candidate stage 1 tarball. My newer installation used the 2.4.19 headers, and the fact that my installation at work is still on 2.4.18 bothers me enough for me to dive right in and try it ...

In retrospect, I believe that the 2.4.19 headers were unmasked from the relevant profile round about the time when the name of the gcc-3.x profile changed to "default-x86-1.4". That would explain why my earlier system is behind.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: