OpenOffice vs. OpenOffice-ximian
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeHappySmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice vs. OpenOffice-ximian Reply with quote

I have been running the standard OpenOffice (app-office/openoffice), but am interested in trying the "ximianized" version. The build time is significant, so before embarking on that path, I have two questions I was hoping others could answer.

1.) Can the app-office/openoffice and app-office/openoffice-ximian ebuilds be installed and coexist on the same system, or are they mutually exclusive? This question is pertinent in the event that I try the ximian version and then choose to revert.

2.) The openoffice-ximian ebuild is masked. Why? and what sort of risks do I invite by using the masked ebuild?

Last, anyone have a link for an openoffice.org release calendar. I wouldn't want to build now if a new release is imminent.
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had the 'ximianized' version for a few days, but it seems to be running pretty well. It interprets MS word better, shares fonts and printers with the main system as opposed to the generic OOo which has a 'spadmin' executable that you use to set these things up. I've also read that there are some problems with formulas between the versions. I'm assuming that you can have both on your system at once, because it is not written in the ebuilds that they block each other. I have confidence that the ebuild writers would block the packages if they clobbered the other.
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a dupe...
MikeHappySmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Its a dupe of this ... Reply with quote

Stu L Tissimus wrote:
This is a dupe...

OK, I found some topics...

To summarize,
  • Both can be installed concurrently
  • The ximian version has better handling for MS Word produced documents
  • The ximian version has better integration with the desktop environment for fonts and printers
  • The ximian version looks better
  • There are issues with sharing documents (specifically embedded formulas) between the two versions
  • JDBC/Java does not work in the ximian version

Note: I'm just summarizing the threads referenced above. Since I asked the question to begin with I'm obviously not qualified to make these relative judgements.
pakman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ximian-Openoffice can print handouts from powerpoint slides.

The plain OO can't.

Pretty useful, was the only feature OO missed for me, no longer do I need a windows machine to print out uni stuff.
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Ximian-Openoffice can print handouts from powerpoint slides.

The plain OO can't.

Pretty useful, was the only feature OO missed for me, no longer do I need a windows machine to print out uni stuff.

This is not true. You just have to click the "options" tab on the print screen in regular OO. There you will have the option of choosing handouts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: