ALSA and left/right speaker madness [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlightn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: ALSA and left/right speaker madness [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have read a few similar problems with ALSA, but I believe I have some more specific information to the problem. Also, none of the posts I found have found a solution.

My problem is that I have sound in ALSA, but only out of one channel (left or right) at a time. I am using 2.6.3-love6 with ALSA compiled as modules. dmesg shows that the ALSA modules are all loaded properly. I followed the ALSA configuration guide step by step, but I can't seem to figure this one out.

I have tried this with XMMS and Noatun. Noatun doesn't even load because "can't start sound i/o" or something similar. One setting I have found in alsamixer that peaks my interest are the EMU10K1 PCM Send Routing switches. I have slid these up and down, and sound toggles between the left and right speakers, but I can't seem to find the middle ground. I have never had problems before with ALSA and 2.6 until this fresh reinstall (whole system). TIA.

Last edited by nlightn on Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
nlightn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have sound coming from both left and right speakers. I haven't rebooted since this 'fix' so I don't know if it will be permanent. Anyway, what I did was go into alsamixergui and fiddle with the left and right knobs for various sliders (PCM, EMU10K1 PCM SEND, etc.) and now it works. Weird stuff I tell you...
Cheesegoduk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem atm and its driving me nuts :o
nlightn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesegoduk wrote:
I have exactly the same problem atm and its driving me nuts :o

I re-emerged alsa-utils and manually ran 'alsactl store' as root (even though having alsasound in boot rc does the same thing) and now it works. Maybe you should try the same. To get your mixer settings right, you'll want to fiddle with the "EMU10K1 Send PCM" sliders (way down on the right for me), and then the "PCM" slider, run 'alsactl store' and you should be fine. Hope this helps.
Cheesegoduk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thanks, it seems to be working again now
LimeFrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using kernel 2.6.7 and i have a cs46xx card, i was experiencing lack of sound on my left speaker until i found the problem and the solution. When i looked at the GUI alsa mixer i found that DAC was muted on the left speaker even though it was in locked mode, so all i did was to raise the volume on the left channel in DAC.
Locke355
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LimeFrog wrote:
I'm using kernel 2.6.7 and i have a cs46xx card, i was experiencing lack of sound on my left speaker until i found the problem and the solution. When i looked at the GUI alsa mixer i found that DAC was muted on the left speaker even though it was in locked mode, so all i did was to raise the volume on the left channel in DAC.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! I had the exact same problem just now (just re-installed). I didn't notice that the DAC was jacked. Thank you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: