Package version management questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Package version management questions Reply with quote

Question the first:
For some reason, an old version of "sys-apps/baselayout" seems to be stuck in portage. (I've mentioned this in another topic, but only tangentially.) I had previously had version 1.7.9-r1 installed, but version 1.7.8-r1 was installed as well. Doing an "emerge clean" did not clear it out. Recently, I noticed that an upgrade to baselayout 1.8.2 was available, and figured that might help me out a bit. However, after emerging the new version, here's what I get:
Code:
root@arrakis:~# emerge --pretend clean

>>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:

sys-apps/baselayout
    selected: 1.7.9-r1
   protected: 1.7.8-r1 1.8.2
     omitted: none

Note that the 1.7.9-r1 version is slated for removal as you'd expect, but that pesky old 1.7.8-r1 version remains. I hesitate to unmerge that version manually, because this behavior to me suggests that there's something fouled up in Portage somewhere, and I'd rather not have it wipe out a chunk of my /etc directory or something. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Question the second:
I actually asked this some time ago, so please forgive the repost . . . I've got two versions of Sun's JDK installed, 1.4.0-r5 and 1.3.1.04. I'd like to keep both the 1.4 and 1.3 lines around, and get updates to both series' when they come out. However:
Code:
root@arrakis:~# emerge --pretend clean

>>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:

dev-java/sun-jdk
    selected: 1.4.0-r5
   protected: 1.3.1.04
     omitted: none

The ebuilds for the two versions have SLOTs defined, so I figured that the two should be able to peacefully coexist, but for now it wants to get rid of 1.4. I know I can lock down some versions in /var/cache/edb/world, but that's not quite what I want to do, and regardless, the "clean" process doesn't seem to care. Here are the three variations I've tried in the /var/cache/edb/world file:
Code:
=dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4.0-r5
=dev-java/sun-jdk-1.3.1.04

Code:
>=dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4
>=dev-java/sun-jdk-1.3

Code:
>=dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4
<dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4

To no avail. "emerge --pretend clean" invariably tells me that it wants to get rid of version 1.4.

So any help anyone could give me on either of these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Updated the subject to be a bit more descriptive.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Package version management questions Reply with quote

n0n wrote:
Question the first:
For some reason, an old version of "sys-apps/baselayout" seems to be stuck in portage. [...] Does anyone have any suggestions?

Answer the first:
Does the old version have an empty SLOT? You should be able to find it in /var/db/pkg/sys-apps/baselayout-1.7.8-r1/SLOT. I'm guessing that 1.7.8-r1 has an empty slot and 1.7.9 has a SLOT of 0, so it is not being considered as a replacement. I am not certain of this, but I have 1.7.7 in a similar state, and here 1.7.7 has an empty SLOT and 1.7.9-r1 has a SLOT of 0. I would leave it be if I were you. Chances are great that there is filename overlap between the two versions, and you might hurt yourself. baselayout is not that big, so it shouldn't be taking up too much hard disk space.

Quote:
Question the second:
I've got two versions of Sun's JDK installed, 1.4.0-r5 and 1.3.1.04.
The ebuilds for the two versions have SLOTs defined, so I figured that the two should be able to peacefully coexist, but for now it wants to get rid of 1.4.

Answer the second:
While they do indeed have SLOTs defined, they appear to both be 0, which might explain the conflict. Does locally modifying the SLOT of the 1.4 ebuild to 1 for example change anything?
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Package version management questions Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Does the old version have an empty SLOT? You should be able to find it in /var/db/pkg/sys-apps/baselayout-1.7.8-r1/SLOT.

Yep, that was it. I wasn't aware of /var/db/pkg - that makes things much easier! I'll just leave it. Certainly it's not a big deal.

rac wrote:
While they do indeed have SLOTs defined, they appear to both be 0, which might explain the conflict. Does locally modifying the SLOT of the 1.4 ebuild to 1 for example change anything?

Hm, so they are. If you take a look at the ebuilds (under /usr/portage/dev-java), though, the ebuilds had the SLOTs set to "1.3" and "1.4" respectively. I wonder how they ended up not getting carried over into /var/db/pkg. Are SLOTs supposed to be ints, perhaps? At any rate, if I change the SLOTs of the JDKs under /var/db/pkg to 1.3 and 1.4, things seem to work fine. Wunderbar! This was the one I had really wanted to take care of, because instead of doing "emerge clean" I'd have to type out every package so it didn't get Java, too.

Thanks a lot for the responses!
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Package version management questions Reply with quote

I wrote:
I wonder how they ended up not getting carried over into /var/db/pkg. Are SLOTs supposed to be ints, perhaps?

Whoa! I just clicked over to the first time I asked this question, where I noted that SLOT was set to "0" for both of the JDK versions. I suppose that explains it, then. The ebuilds must have been updated with the 1.3 and 1.4 SLOTs after I installed them. I had figured that if anyone changed an ebuild, there would be an -r1 or the like, but evidentally that didn't happen this time. Well, there we have it - mystery solved. Thanks again!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Package version management questions Reply with quote

n0n wrote:
If you take a look at the ebuilds (under /usr/portage/dev-java), though, the ebuilds had the SLOTs set to "1.3" and "1.4" respectively.

Really? Not here, they don't. That's where I was looking.
Code:
$ grep SLOT /usr/portage/dev-java/sun-jdk/*.ebuild
/usr/portage/dev-java/sun-jdk/sun-jdk-1.3.1.04.ebuild:SLOT="0"
/usr/portage/dev-java/sun-jdk/sun-jdk-1.4.0-r4.ebuild:SLOT="0"
/usr/portage/dev-java/sun-jdk/sun-jdk-1.4.0-r5.ebuild:SLOT="0"
/usr/portage/dev-java/sun-jdk/sun-jdk-1.4.1_beta.ebuild:SLOT="0"

n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Okay, it turns out that practically every post I've made today has required factual correction. I should quit while I'm behind. :) I remember now that, when I was first having the problem, I tried setting the SLOTs on my ebuilds in /usr/portage to see if that would do anything, since I didn't know about /var/db/pkg. They're just still like that on my hard drive. So I'm an idiot, basically. :)

Thanks once again for your help! I'll submit a bug to bugs.gentoo.org to see if it gets through.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0n wrote:
I remember now that, when I was first having the problem, I tried setting the SLOTs on my ebuilds in /usr/portage to see if that would do anything, since I didn't know about /var/db/pkg. They're just still like that on my hard drive. So I'm an idiot, basically. :)

You're not an idiot at all, and that was a good effort. In fact, did you reemerge the packages after you did that? It should have worked, unless SLOT has some rules about syntax that '1.3' and '1.4' violated.

Quote:
I'll submit a bug to bugs.gentoo.org to see if it gets through.

That's a good idea. Sure seems to me like this is exactly the sort of problem SLOT was designed to solve. There were certainly a lot of ebuilds that didn't have SLOT defined - none of mine did, because at the time I submitted them, SLOT wasn't in the skeleton ebuild, and I was an idiot, basically. :)
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
In fact, did you reemerge the packages after you did that? It should have worked, unless SLOT has some rules about syntax that '1.3' and '1.4' violated.

No, I didn't try re-emerging 'em, and I'm sure that probably would have worked. Ah, well. Now I know! (... And knowing is half the battle, etc ...)
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone's interested in a followup to these matters, I've posted something over here that's related.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: