View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Kopete in kde 3.2 problem Reply with quote

When I try to setup the Kopete Instant Messenger I get this strange problem:
I get to the point where you can select the different protocols, then I may pick any item and kopete will always complain: "Das Protokoll `ICQ' kann nicht geladen werden." which means something like "The protocol ICQ could not be loaded" in English.

Anybody experienced the same? Any solutions?
dr.gonzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be that you have an older version of it lying around that it could be trying to load a plugin for.. (i used to get those errors).. either unmerge it if you have it installed (it comes with KDE 3.2 anyways) or manually delete any 'kopete' files in /usr/kde/3.2 and then compile it by hand from source (i use CVS HEAD every day with no problems but your mileage may vary)
ZothOmmog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the KDE buglist, this seems to be a Gentoo specific problem: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67668.

For the record, I did unmerge Kopete prior to emerging KDE 3.2, and I still get this same error with the new version.
ralle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Fix Reply with quote

I fixed it myself. Using the information from the link above, I changed the file /etc/env.d/99kde-env from:
Code:

KDEDIRS=/usr
CONFIG_PROTECT=/usr/share/config

to
Code:

KDEDIRS=/usr/kde/3.2:/usr
CONFIG_PROTECT=/usr/share/config

Then
Code:
env-update
and a reboot to make absolutely sure, but no recompile or something...
Now kopete works like a charm!
MrIch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I change the KDEDIRs, programs like koffice doest not appear in the k-menu anymore...

Also mldonkey doest not work then...

Any ideas?
ralle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problems with disappearing icons or kmldonkey not working (assuming you really meant kmldonkey, not the mldonkey daemon).

Maybe it's because I completely unmerged my old kde before installing 3.2.
You could take a look at /usr/kde/3.2/share/applnk and /usr/kde/3.1/share/applnk to check out where the koffice icons are installed.
Perhaps unmerging the old version is required in some cases...
danthe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: the quickest solution Reply with quote

After a little playing with strace, I found the old files, which were not unmerged when I cleaned kopete from my system before upgrading to kde 3.2.

In /usr/lib/kde3, there were some old .la files. After I removed them (rm /usr/lib/kde3/kopete_*) and restarted kopete, everything worked correctly again.
I only had to restart kopete. There's no need to re-emerge anything, not even reset of restart kde... :)
tlaloctlaloc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked for me. Thanks.
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: the quickest solution Reply with quote

danthe wrote:
After a little playing with strace, I found the old files, which were not unmerged when I cleaned kopete from my system before upgrading to kde 3.2.

In /usr/lib/kde3, there were some old .la files. After I removed them (rm /usr/lib/kde3/kopete_*) and restarted kopete, everything worked correctly again.
I only had to restart kopete. There's no need to re-emerge anything, not even reset of restart kde... :)

I had the same problem, and that is what worked for me too. Someone should add that deletion into the kdenetwork ebuild system! It is going to be a "more often than not" problem otherwise.

Chuck
cvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine now, thanks a lot.

Chris
gondoi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with ICQ, but I don't think it has anything to do with the module loading.

I am running KDE 3.2.1 (fresh install, not an upgrade) And I'm running Kopete 0.8.1. I have been able to connect to ICQ for a while but here recently the icon just flashes in the bottom like it's trying to connect, but then after a while it just quits. I can connect from a windows machine on the network fine. So I'm not sure what's going on here. Where are the error logs for kopete? or does anyone know an answer?

Thanks
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gondoi wrote:
I have a problem with ICQ, but I don't think it has anything to do with the module loading.

I am running KDE 3.2.1 (fresh install, not an upgrade) And I'm running Kopete 0.8.1. I have been able to connect to ICQ for a while but here recently the icon just flashes in the bottom like it's trying to connect, but then after a while it just quits. I can connect from a windows machine on the network fine. So I'm not sure what's going on here. Where are the error logs for kopete? or does anyone know an answer?

Thanks

unfortunately I don't know where the logs are, but mine also takes quite a while compared to the others to connect, plus i experience random disconnects from icq and aim. never from yahoo. once i reconnect it is fine again for however long. many times when leaving it connected but idle over night i find it disconnected from them in the morning.

Chuck
gondoi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see these problems too. Almost all of them get disconnected an stay that way. It doesn't seem to try and reconnect.

But about my post from above, I figured out what the deal was. When I re-compiled kdenetwork applying the kget patch, I still had KDE and kopete running, apparently it screwed up the module or something, not sure.
At any rate, I logged out of KDE and kdm and recompiled kdenetwork and now everything works great... (well except for the staying connected thing that has come up)
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gondoi wrote:
I see these problems too. Almost all of them get disconnected an stay that way. It doesn't seem to try and reconnect.

But about my post from above, I figured out what the deal was. When I re-compiled kdenetwork applying the kget patch, I still had KDE and kopete running, apparently it screwed up the module or something, not sure.
At any rate, I logged out of KDE and kdm and recompiled kdenetwork and now everything works great... (well except for the staying connected thing that has come up)

yeah. wish they would find a way to terminate the processes or at least tell you about that and make you quit the programs first. i had odd stuff happen too when i did a kde /kopete upgrade and i was still running it... wound up killing xdm and recompiling everything from tty1. suddenly it all worked right
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: