Please help clear the PDF confusion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Please help clear the PDF confusion Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of confusion about PDFs and Linux PDF readers... I have some of the facts, but I'm not sure about them. Please help make this thread informative.

There seem to be three basic PDF libraries for Linux: The one that GhostScript uses, the one that XPdf uses, and the one Acroread uses.
Acroread is created by Adobe, and seems to be able to open all proper PDF files. However, it's slow, ugly, and closed-source.
GhostScript seems to be better at rendering than XPdf, but it's slower, and can't correctly render some of the files that XPdf can (although it seems that more files can be rendered correctly by GhostScript. This becomes and issue mainly with non-Latin documents and documents with equations). The viewers gv, ggv and kghostview use this library, so they're pretty much the same (although gv is the fastest and has the most functionality).
XPdf is another library/viewer. It's intended for PDFs only, so it's faster than GhostScript. It also seems to have some support for encrypted (or is it print-protected?) PDFs. However, it cannot render some files that GhostScript can. XPdf, gPDF, and kPDF (?) use this library.

For me, I use whatever works. I have both libraries installed, and if one viewer can't read a file, I use another.

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."

Jabber: tactless@amessage.info
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good post, just some additions...

1. further apps, like OpenOffice, have their own PDF libraries
2. not only can ghostview/ggv/kghostview view some pdf files that xpdf/gpdf/kpdf view, but I've found that the [italic]reverse[/italic] is also true, and that xpdf can view some pdfs that ghostview can't.
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
2. not only can ghostview/ggv/kghostview view some pdf files that xpdf/gpdf/kpdf view, but I've found that the [italic]reverse[/italic] is also true, and that xpdf can view some pdfs that ghostview can't.

I said that...

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."

Jabber: tactless@amessage.info
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
1. further apps, like OpenOffice, have their own PDF libraries

Are you sure? I seem to remember something about OpenOffice using the GhostScript interpreter emulating a printer. E.g., OpenOffice.org creates PostScript files (.ps) from it's own formats, which are then converted to PDF through GhostScript.

- Simon
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Isn't it the opposite? Reply with quote

I think you must have mixed something up.
Ghostscript fails miserably at displaying more complex pdf files - and more complex here means anything that has a colored background, or many images, or some such. It simply omits graphics and text at will, giving ranks of empty or semi-empty pages.
So far Xpdf has been able to correctly display all pdf files for me. My only complaint against Xpdf is that it's a motif-based (or was it xaw?) fossil from happier days gone by. :D
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Isn't it the opposite? Reply with quote

Simius wrote:
I think you must have mixed something up.
Ghostscript fails miserably at displaying more complex pdf files - and more complex here means anything that has a colored background, or many images, or some such. It simply omits graphics and text at will, giving ranks of empty or semi-empty pages.
So far Xpdf has been able to correctly display all pdf files for me. My only complaint against Xpdf is that it's a motif-based (or was it xaw?) fossil from happier days gone by. :D

like in the other thread, just use Adob'e Acrobot Reader linux port. emerge -pv acroread
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acroread may be ok on x86 hardware, but what about any other type of hardware? There using the open source library is the only solution.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there is poppler which is based on the pdf-3.0 code base.

Its the backend used for kpdf which has rendered everything I have thrown at it. (800+ PDFs commercial and personal PDFs generated from many different PDF renderers.)
Its speed buts the others to shame, including Acrobat Reader.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what Poppler is? I noticed that kdeprint required it but I didn't know that it was PDF rendering software.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicbhoc wrote:
That's what Poppler is? I noticed that kdeprint required it but I didn't know that it was PDF rendering software.

http://poppler.freedesktop.org/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: