What I'd like to see (help with) Fault trees
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aderio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: What I'd like to see (help with) Fault trees Reply with quote

It would be great if we could create some fault trees for some of the more common problems i.e. Gentoo wont install, printer wont work etc. If these were done in a pdf or similar format. I'd like to post an example but I dont know how but

My printer doesnt print
has it ever
Yes No
Is there Power
No Yes
Switch it on
Yes
Is there paper
No Yes
Put paperin
It works

I dont know if any other distro uses this way of tracking faults, but I'm sure its something we could all contribute to and make ours and others much simpler

Tis was supposed to look like a fault tree but the forum box smoothed it out but I'll email one if anyone wants to see what it should look like.

Geoff
teknomage1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea, good problem analysis is the key to most computer repair/management. Maybe we could call the site troubleshoot.gentoo.org. I just wouldn't want anyone to go through a fifty question tree about why their kernel won't boot and then be told "go ask in forum." As a related option we could link relevant threads from the forums into the trees for added info
Krigare
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teknomage1 wrote:
That's an interesting idea, good problem analysis is the key to most computer repair/management. Maybe we could call the site troubleshoot.gentoo.org. I just wouldn't want anyone to go through a fifty question tree about why their kernel won't boot and then be told "go ask in forum." As a related option we could link relevant threads from the forums into the trees for added info

There is however, a faq-forum, something like this outside the forum would be nice, however, there is alot of docs in the doc-section that many of us just never reads, they might be interesting..
jmercer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, this is a very good idea. Perhaps if a problem has been posted on the forum, discussed and solved a moderator could come by and PM the person who figured it out and give him a temporary username and password for a new node in the tree and that person would write it up. It would kind of be a wiki style fault tree with controlled write access.

I know some people have looked down on ego fattening things like post counts, but I think they help people to interact. It could be that we could also have a node count, this would be an incentive for people to writeup nodes.

People with high post counts seem to tend towards being moderators here, perhaps a person with a high node count could be singled out by the documentation team. (Is there a doc team?)

Links back from the tree to relevant forum posts would be good just incase the tree isn't specific enough, but the person tasked (honoured hehehe) to write the node with a few branches should be as specific as possible. One bad thing about linking back to posts is that if the forum starts to drop posts and you'll have a tree filled with dead links.

Now, adding nodecount to phpBB is a problem. Adding anything to phpBB seems to be a problem. The forum currently works and I can see that it may not be a good idea to mess with it yet. Perhaps we can hold user node counts off site for now, Each new node would have all it's trouble shooting stuff but it'd also have the name of the person who wrote it and his node count. Not needed info, but it entices people to be active.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks.
teknomage1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rock i hope it gets more traffic in this part of the forum
aderio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much response so I'll post an example
Your trying to install a new kernel you type in the command make oldconfig and nothing happens
Do you a, panic b, spend 1/2 an hour (day) searching the forums, c, post a query which some helpfull soul says has been answered a gazillion times before or d, get your compile fault tree out and at this step it says have you copied your old .config to your new kernels directory?
On the installing Gentoo forum there are 83635 posts thare really cant be many probs that arent covered at least once, its just that the answers need to be easier to find.

Rock on Gentoo
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (and others) have played with this idea a long time ago, the major problem found was that it would requiere one of these two:

1) massive moderation and open acces to content
2) massive amount of works by few trusted people

see my post in this thread and some mentioned there for more info
teknomage1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we set up project site with a cvs and a few members with commit rights and let everyone send in "patches" of html. that wway it's not as free wheeling as a wiki but it benefits from open design. We could start with comon ones like alsa and compiling the kernel and then branch out to why dosn't my ultra-obscure pieceof hardware X work? i think it's doable it's mostly about doing the research.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: