Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge gentoo-sources...but nothing in /usr/src/linux ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: emerge gentoo-sources...but nothing in /usr/src/linux ? Reply with quote

I'm installing from 1.2 at the moment. I've just finished emerge system and setting up the timezone.

Now, I've gotten to the emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources step. When I issue this command, I get the error that the file has already been downloaded, so it quits. However, there's no src in /usr.

What have I done wrong so soon? I began with Stage 1.
ZagiFlyer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in /usr/portage/distfiles for the kernel source installation file and either move it or delete it. Then emerge the kernel sources again.

--Ben Franklin
tcraymond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. I tried deleting the file. This doesn't help. The problem is the emerge is trying to download the file twice and craps out on the second try. Must be a recent change to the ebuild or something, but I see nothing obvious. Maybe try vanilla-sources?
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here. It has never been a problem before today. I just updated my portage tree, so perhaps the latest has a bad gentoo-sources definition? It didn't download the vanilla sources first, and the downloaded bz2 file is corrupt. So, I'm thinking there's a problem in the portage tree with a missing dependency or something along those lines.

RagManX
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcraymond wrote:
I'm having the same problem. I tried deleting the file. This doesn't help. The problem is the emerge is trying to download the file twice and craps out on the second try. Must be a recent change to the ebuild or something, but I see nothing obvious. Maybe try vanilla-sources?

I'd like to go with the gentoo-sources if at all possible. I'll try deleting the files and re-emerging when I get home. Thanks.
none

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: I'm having the same problem Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with gentoo-sources, it looks like it's downloading just a kernel patch and not the whole thing (just guessing). the vanilla sources seems to be working though

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: portage ? Reply with quote

I think RagManX is right I updated my portage tree today to
ZagiFlyer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to emerge gentoo-sources and failed, but could emerge vanilla-sources without a problem. I'm doing a brand-spanking new fresh install, so I know it wasn't an issue with a file in /usr/portage/distfiles. I believe it to be a problem at the ibiblio end.

In the meantime, I'm going to go with vanilla sources to get the system up, then switch later when the gentoo-sources package is available again.

--Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r7 and gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r8 do not work. If you do 'emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r5.ebuild' it will emerge -r5 fine. It's better than nothing.
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r7 and gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r8 do not work. If you do 'emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r5.ebuild' it will emerge -r5 fine. It's better than nothing.

Are these the latest available? I'm willing to wait until the problem is fixed if it's not something I can control...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, in case there's some confusion on the subject - the way the gentoo-sources ebuild works is that it downloads the vanillla tarball from kernel.org, and then gets a gentoo patch from ibiblio, and applies it.
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac: So, does that mean it's failing to download vanilla-sources, or the patch?

Should I just delete the existing portage files and try again?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if what you've downloaded so far is corrupt or not, but you can look in /usr/portage/distfiles for stuff like linux-[version].tar.bz2 and linux-gentoo-[version].patch.bz2, and unpack the vanilla tarball into /usr/src/linux-wherever and apply the patch by hand if you'd rather not download more honking big files again. It's up to you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge gentoo-sources...but nothing in /usr/src/linux ? Reply with quote

I got the rc7 patch twice and they're both sitting in distfiles..

But I've only been using gentoo for about 3 hours now, so not sure if I can just go ahead patch it manually?

Or should I try again tomorrow,

Yours impatiently,
Brendan
ejdmoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the patch been taken down?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge gentoo-sources...but nothing in /usr/src/linux ? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I got the rc7 patch twice and they're both sitting in distfiles..

But I've only been using gentoo for about 3 hours now, so not sure if I can just go ahead patch it manually?

Or should I try again tomorrow,

Yours impatiently,
Brendan

Well the patches cant bunzip... best they are taken off methinks...

I saw r8 is posted today - I tried emerging that but I get something about a package mask prevents me from getting/seeing it...

Can I get r8 with the emerge command?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge gentoo-sources...but nothing in /usr/src/linux ? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I saw r8 is posted today - I tried emerging that but I get something about a package mask prevents me from getting/seeing it...

Packages are usually masked for a reason, often because they are not tested a lot yet. So you have to make sure that you want to run untested kernels. If you do, then you should be able to comment out a line in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask and remove the mask on your machine temporarily.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking on ibiblio.org, the r7 patch looks a lot smaller than the other patches, and it also won't extract properly (says it's a corrupted file). Perhaps that's why?

In the meantime, where can I get that package from?
bb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge gentoo-sources...but nothing in /usr/src/linux ? Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Packages are usually masked for a reason, often because they are not tested a lot yet. So you have to make sure that you want to run untested kernels. If you do, then you should be able to comment out a line in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask and remove the mask on your machine temporarily.

thanks - did it, but getting a 404 error...
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so r7 isn't valid right now.

In the meantime, what can I do to complete this installation, but still get the benefit from gentoo's kernel patch?
Erukian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a fresh install today. SAME EXACT PROBLEM! I had to download the vanilla sources to finish the install. So no grsecurity/preempt/latency patches. At least until they get it fixed. I KNEW this wasnt just my computer! Something must of happened.
buebo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm having the same Problem.
Could it cause Problems to fetch the Vanilla-Sources, complete the Install with them, unmerge them Later and rebuild a Kernel with the Gentoo-Sources as soon as the Problem gets fixed?
By the Way, what are these crypto-sources?

Greets
buebo
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buebo wrote:
Could it cause Problems to fetch the Vanilla-Sources, complete the Install with them, unmerge them Later and rebuild a Kernel with the Gentoo-Sources as soon as the Problem gets fixed?

No. You can switch kernels, rebuild kernels, update kernels, whatever you want to do at any time. The only thing to beware of is if you have things like ALSA or the nvidia kernel module; they will need to be re-emerged after you rebuild new kernels.
darge0flex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with the gento-sources, so i tried the xfs-sources, vanilla-sources and mjc-sources: an 'make dep && make clean bzImage' works perfectly with all of them, but when I try an 'make modules && make modules_install' after that it breaks with the message '...unresolved symbols...'. BTW i made a clean install with gentoo-1.4-athlon-xp-stage3.
With 1.3b and 1.4b it worked perfectly every time i have to built the system.

I think something with the modutils in 1.4 is wrong....
darge0flex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ups, there's allways a thread about it: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=12336
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: