Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Killed my root fs....best way to get back?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegoonden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Killed my root fs....best way to get back? Reply with quote

I was watching a dvd in a second Xserver, when finished, I went back to display 0. As I did so I got a flashing light on the keyboard and the system locked up. I usr cntrl alt sysrq to reboot and on reboot I was told that my root partition was damaged. I ran fsck. First thing it did was tell me the ext3 journal was broken, and it deleted it. Then I agreed with all it's "fixes" this left me with only Lost+found on my root partition, and that appears to be a symlink to another partition, so that can't be right.
2 questions really.
1. should I re-run fsck from another linux ( or boot disk) in the hope that lost+found will be set right, and I can then hopefully manually get a system back. Or is there some other way to stop lost+found being broken.
2. Assuming I'm screwed, and given that /usr was on another partition, what is my best method of recovery. I'm thinking of re-unpacking a gentoo base tarball (stage 2, as for some reason I can't find stage 1), and starting from there.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated, because there's only so long I can stand Mandrake for :)
thegoonden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: addendum Reply with quote

Got MOST of lost and found back, still missing a few things in there ( like most of /etc for a start). Just wondering if there is an easy way to return what I find in there to it's correct place, other than openning every sub directory, and guessing where it's contents should go.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: