Sata ide drivers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lari
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Sata ide drivers? Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

My ide harddisk is SATA(Western Digital Raptor) (motherboard is via 600 chip), what kernel version is compatible? Sorry is my bad english! :)
I hate M$ :twisted:
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the 2.4 kernels might support it... dunno. The 2.6 kernels will support it because I use them quite happily :)
strokah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the 2.6 kernel. It appears there is SATA support, however, you should read this Link first.
lari
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angrybob wrote:
some of the 2.4 kernels might support it... dunno. The 2.6 kernels will support it because I use them quite happily :)

How to install 2.6 kernel?
# emerge -k ??? :?:
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western Digital Raptor ? damn you !

i just ordered the 250 Gb from WD. but i want the raptor too :(

Code:

emerge -K gentoo-dev-sources

i dont think that gentoo-dev-sources is on the GRP cd.
you can search for it on the cd.
dhughes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lari,

Best of luck with this. You'll need it unless you're a #1 Guru! Yes, there is Linux support for SATA. I can boot Knoppix 3.3 (using 2.4.22), and it recognises my hardware correctly (except sound). I can also boot up with the Gentoo Experimental LiveCD (11-29-2003) which uses 2.6.0. However I have to date been totally unable to build either a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel myself, and get it to boot. The issue is a "VFS cannot open root device" kernel panic.

My hardware is a MSI 865PE Neo2 Mobo, with 2x WD Raptor HDDs. This Mobo has no RAID, and uses the Intel ICH5 chipset. I have no PATA devices except for an MSI CD burner. If I set up the BIOS in "Legacy Mode", the 2 Raptors map as though they were PATA devices, and the disks work with no need for SATA support. No USB, no sound, but at least the disks do work.

The real trouble starts when I change the BIOS setup to "Native mode". In this mode, the BIOS maps the drives as follows:

Primary ATA - Master - nil
- Slave - nil
Secondary ATA - Master - MSI CDRW
- Slave - nil
Tertiary ATA - Master - WD Raptor #1 (First SATA cable)
- Slave - nil
Quarteniary ATA - Master - WD Raptor #2 (Second SATA Cable)
- Slave - nil

In this mode, I can boot up Knoppix and it recognises the 2 Raptors as Hde and Hdg.

I can also boot using the Gentoo Experimental LiveCD-11-29-2003, but it treats them as SCSI devices, Sda and Sdb. You'll also find your SATA drivers in amongst the SCSI low-level drivers when you're building your kernel.

I've searched high and low around the web. It seems that just about everybody playing with SATA is having the same problem. I've tried everything sane suggested, but no progress yet.

The impression I have is that it was working but something's changed to break it. (I'm not sure about this, though). What I am sure about is that it's definitely not easy for newbies at this stage.

Best of luck.
ferrarif5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my system running fine on SATA alone, I had to use the 2.6kernel ver LiveCD, but I can boot it up no problems running the / partition on E3fs.

I also got decent speeds in Hdparm -Tt.

I had problems with the emerge system complaining about Devfs package and I didn't find anything useful on the boards so am just going to redo a Stage 1 install since it didn't take that long.
User:335876 | Screenshot
AchilleTalon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: SATA and installation with any LiveCD Reply with quote

I have a running Fedora Core 1 on my PC. I want to switch to Gentoo. The problem is my PC is having a single SATA drive connected to an Intel Board (D865GLC) and the 2004.0 LiveCD (minimal) failed to discover the drive (Maxtor 200GB). In fact, it discovers it, but failed to load some drivers, the last message is:

hde: attached ide-disk driver.

After reading on the subject, I found no satisfactory answer. However, from this forum and thread, I decided to try the 2.6-beta11 (29 november 2003) experimental LiveCD. It fails with a black screen (no way to investigate where and why it fails).

So, I decided to try the experimental LiveCD: gentoo-2004.0-x86-20040204.iso and again, I am getting the same message about the driver.

BTW, I also tried to boot the smp kernel and I tried the doscsi and doataraid options without any success.

Any hints? Or am I condemn to run Fedora?
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the 2004.0 live cd, specify smp at the boot prompt,
this will boot using the 2.6.x kernel, your sata drive will
be as /dev/sdx
make sure that you specify legacy mode in your motherboard's BIOS
hth
AchilleTalon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I changed my BIOS config to Legacy and I was able to access the drive from the gentoo kernel, not the smp which crashed with a kernel panic.

However, the drive was accessible as /dev/hdc and not as /dev/sda. The first time I booted I was not able to access the drive. Looking at the dmesg I noticed a modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter which failed. I was able to modprobe ide-scsi and then scsi_hostadapter.

Anything on the kernel panic behavior?

And given the number of questions on the SATA on this discussion list, I may worth it to add an entry in the FAQ on the SATA subject or even in the installation manual.
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try the following at the boot prompt
Code:

smb pnpbios=off

hth
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AchilleTalon, I feel your pain. I've worn out a Knoppix 3.3 (and now have 3.4) disc to do a dozen or so Gentoo installs in the last few months. I've begged and pleaded for SATA support in the LiveCDs. It'll probably be a while though I don't know why.

Use a Knoppix CD to do your install. Your drives will show up like they are *supposed* to, as IDE drives. Probably as /dev/hde and /dev/hdg. No SCSI crap whatsoever (they aren't SCSI drives anyways).
AchilleTalon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Since this system is not critical, I am working on it only as time permit. These days, I don't have much time. But, the pnpbios=off trick as solved the problem. I was able to access the drive as /dev/sda, I did almost everything. Including installing LVM2, but since things were changed in LVM2 and LVM. It was no longer possible to have / on LVM. So, I have to re-install, almost from the beginning. My rootvg taking up all the remaining disk space but, /boot and swap I am left with no space to define a / and swap data from the LVM to the standard / filesystem.

Maybe the documentation should address those non-standard installation tricks. The filesystem creation section and partitions should be extended to include a list of gotchas. I would like to do it myself, but as you can see, I have very few time left to work on this system... My next window is next weekend...
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AchilleTalon wrote:
Thanks for the help. Since this system is not critical, I am working on it only as time permit. These days, I don't have much time. But, the pnpbios=off trick as solved the problem. I was able to access the drive as /dev/sda, I did almost everything. Including installing LVM2, but since things were changed in LVM2 and LVM. It was no longer possible to have / on LVM. So, I have to re-install, almost from the beginning. My rootvg taking up all the remaining disk space but, /boot and swap I am left with no space to define a / and swap data from the LVM to the standard / filesystem.

Maybe the documentation should address those non-standard installation tricks. The filesystem creation section and partitions should be extended to include a list of gotchas. I would like to do it myself, but as you can see, I have very few time left to work on this system... My next window is next weekend...

you may want to try the 2004.1 livecd's, may be you issue
are addressed.
in any case check the 2004.1 livecd out if you are starting
with a clean slate, so to speak.
hth
AchilleTalon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to let me know. I already had 2004.1 on my todo list. Since, it supposed to be much better than 2004.0, I will restart my installation with the best available base.

If anyone is interested, I will post my results here.
AchilleTalon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, 2004.1 just worked fine for the SATA part. However, I ran into a problem with stage1 compile and the emerge-webrsync part which claimed huge space into the /var/tmp filesystem temporarily, the stuff is then moved to /usr/portage. I resolved the last issue with a symlink I then removed after usage. The compile problem is still unsolved.

Anyway, since there SATA is no longer an issue with 2004.1 (at least for me), I will open another thread for the stage1 compile problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: