Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentooites taking part in Reiserfs4 Revolution !!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Gentooites taking part in Reiserfs4 Revolution !! Reply with quote

Hi, guys.. i was surfing the osnews when i came across the article regarding Reiserfs4 , it was (i thought it was) supposed to be integrated into the stable 2.6 (experimental though), But due to certain reasons couldnt.... Realworld testing being one of these !

So, i was just wondering that the Gentooites are actually the most cutting edge guys in the Linux community, so would it be possible to help the devels to actually Real World test our most beloved Reiserfs4 filesystem ??

As we all know that reiserfs4 is supposed to revolutinise the filesystems once its out... so why not actually try to help in its development !! after all many of the guys here actually have done lots to test the 2.6 kernel in its pre releases....

So, What i ask is more of the guys here volunteer in the development (via beta-testing) of the GenX FS of our choice..
I can completely understand that some of the guys here are actually running a server and they cannot kill it just for the sake of testing, but the seniour members can help by their sheer experience and give right directions to the guys testing it !

So, Guys i'm getting a 120 GB hdd in 2 days and i plan to install Gentoo completely on a Reiserfs4 Partition, i'll be posting of my experiences along all the way... but i actually dont know where to start... so some one could actually point me to the right direction. :wink:

Also, it could be a great help if someone could develop a patched kernel source or a patchset like -wli or lovesources with the reiserfs4 support so that it would become easier for us to test it !!!

I hope the idea is not absolutely INSANE, cuz this is the way development in OO work's isnt it ?

Bye.
Jassi

PS :- Please let me know what others think about it.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love-sources has been a testing ground for resier4 in the past, and I offered it as such to the namesys guys provided they setup a page explaining how to give them good feedback.

Nothing happened sadly
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, probably you can restart the initative, and we can indeed setup a good how-to and faq right here in this forum itself....
Afterall with uber Experienced guys like you, how could one ever feel lost ? You've really helped the community to grow, why not take it a step further ?, i'll even post a newbie howto once i get myself setteled with the reiserfs4 on mynew hdd !
What say ?

Bye,
Jassi
fschneider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gentooites taking part in Reiserfs4 Revolution !! Reply with quote

jassi wrote:
So, Guys i'm getting a 120 GB hdd in 2 days and i plan to install Gentoo completely on a Reiserfs4 Partition, i'll be posting of my experiences along all the way... but i actually dont know where to start... so some one could actually point me to the right direction. :wink:

Also, it could be a great help if someone could develop a patched kernel source or a patchset like -wli or lovesources with the reiserfs4 support so that it would become easier for us to test it !!!

I hope the idea is not absolutely INSANE, cuz this is the way development in OO work's isnt it ?

Bye.
Jassi

PS :- Please let me know what others think about it.

If you really want to put all of your (important) data onto reiser4 partitions, I would call it insane, since reiser4 is not stable enough to be used in a production system. If I were you, I would use something stable (reiserfs3, xfs, ext*) for your system and use the old HD for reiser4 testing - like kernel compilation or building a second gentoo just for testing.

OTOH there have been some conflicts with the reiser4 patch which changed some kernel headers in that way that it at least broke the compilation of the vmware kernel modules (which can be fixed with a patch).
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fschneider
Hi, thanks for your concern, but i think you misunderstood me ! i wanted to do exactly as you said would be right.. but instead i'll keep all my important data on fat32 as i have to share it with Windows..

I dont use vmware, instead i simply boot into windows :D , anyways if you would like to help us with the testing (in any way that you prefer) i'd be very happy, maybe after seeing you many others will also decide to participate in the programme !

Bye,
Jassi
nepenthe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more then willing to help =) and particpate
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the responce ! Gentoo really need more guys like you :) !
Ok so to get ourselvs started i found ebuilds and some info that could get us started..

get the ebuild and info from http://breakmygentoo.net/archives/000073.html ....
Ok, so just some comments before starting on with it..

We have to patch the 2.6 kernel with the patch and then boot off it and then create a reiserfs4 partition !
Now from where do we get a 2.6 live cd with resierfs4 patch already built in ?, if we cant get that then how do we go about it ??

Lovechild, if you could guide us in getting started, it'd really be of great help to us.. also let us know if you could restart support of reiserfs4 in your lovesources !

Bye,
Jassi
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reinstalling today and am really interested in this :)
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jassi wrote:
get the ebuild and info from http://breakmygentoo.net/archives/000073.html ....
Ok, so just some comments before starting on with it..

We have to patch the 2.6 kernel with the patch and then boot off it and then create a reiserfs4 partition !
Now from where do we get a 2.6 live cd with resierfs4 patch already built in ?, if we cant get that then how do we go about it ??

Looks like the ebuild there is over a month old, so you should probably get a newer version.

As for the livecd with 2.6 with reiserfs 4, you might try rolling your own with gentoo's catalyst utility for making livecds. Either that, or use an install from another drive that has the tools and appropriate kernel to build the install on the other drive/partition.
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you're correct.. the ebuilds are pretty much old !, so who can update the ebuilds ?
Please devels, if we get proper support while getting this stuff working then many guys would actually start testing it sooner...

So i request someone to update the ebuilds for reiserfs4 mentioned above.,

Bye,
Jassi
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump, please can someone help us ?
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you don't exactly need an ebuild, you can just grab the source and compile it by hand the old fashioned way. It's what I do when I want something not in portage, since I'm too lazy to learn to write ebuilds :P
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the next reiser4 snapshot is released I'll do my very best to have it in a love-sources release.

Hans tells the world that the next snapshot will be very nice feature and stabilitywise.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Once the next reiser4 snapshot is released I'll do my very best to have it in a love-sources release.

Hans tells the world that the next snapshot will be very nice feature and stabilitywise.

oh are you maintaining love again?
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, thanks lovechild !, i'll look forward to it..
Also, even i was interested to know whether you were again maintaining the lovesources.. it would be really cool that way :) ,.

Anyways, by when is the new snapshot expected to release ?

Bye.,
Jassi
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulisdead wrote:
Lovechild wrote:

oh are you maintaining love again?

I'll submit a patch to steel300, that's as far as I can take it now.
nepenthe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea... I would think Hans would be releasing a new snapshot for the 2.6 final kernel sometime soon. Then maybe we can work on a livcecd and go from there I suppose =)
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, looking at the release schedule for the past couple of snapshots :-
Quote:

2003.08.18/ 18-Aug-2003 18:23 -
2003.08.20/ 20-Aug-2003 17:11 -
2003.08.22/ 22-Aug-2003 19:07 -
2003.08.26/ 12-Sep-2003 22:42 -
2003.09.05/ 05-Sep-2003 15:45 -
2003.09.12/ 12-Sep-2003 22:42 -
2003.10.17/ 17-Oct-2003 19:36 -
2003.11.12/ 14-Nov-2003 16:14 -
LATEST/ 14-Nov-2003 16:14 -
LATEST_IS_2003.11.12 13-Nov-2003 16:37 0k

It seems that the new snapshot should be released anytime soon, its gonna be better as 2.6 has hit the stable branch now..
Perhaps we can even get the gentoo 2004 live cd built on a 2.6 kernel patched with the reiserfs4 already built in, eh !

Way to go !
Bye,
Jassi
nepenthe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me =)
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just earched LKLM and found this post :- http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/12/18/58
Quote:

Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:43:59 +0300
From Hans Reiser <>
Subject Re: Linux 2.6.0
Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

>>Wondering if ALSA and Latest Usb updates from Greg KH will make it into 2.6.1 ?

>>Is anything known about reiserfs4 becoming stable enough to be included some >>time soon. Maybe around 2.6.3-5

We are still able to hit bugs without the help of users, and being unable to hit bugs ourselves is our release criterion, but ask again

next month.....

--
Hans

Hmm so i guess we'll only get to test it in full swing in Jan 2004 eh..
Man i can hardly wait !

Bye,
Jassi
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jassie: Just because it wont be included until 2.6.3-ish doesn't mean there wont be more snapshots before then.
nepenthe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though their scripts are still getting bugs I'm sure they would love users finding them too
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'am really interested in testing reiser4 . I just bought a hd just for this (testing) . So what we need is?

A livecd with linux-2.6 and reiser4 patch (love-sources maybe) also reiser4 progs.

I don't like waiting the *test version, with reiser4 patch . Maybe Lovechild will maintain his new sources with the reiser4 patch. I can't wait too.
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellaa ! all the good guys and gals interested in testing the Reiserfs4 are welcome ...
So, the year 2004 brings with it the fresh ZIING of reiserfs4 eh :twisted:

Ok, lets get down to buisness.... everyone interested to test the reiserfs4 can should do the following..
1. Get the latest Love sources (That are now maintained by Steel300) from here :-
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jpcox/linux/patches/2.6/2.6.1/ Currently the latest is love3 sources... keep a watch here folks this changes almost everyday now :P

Get the sources and compile the Reiserfs4 support as Builtin the kernel.. ok now to go to the next step..

2. Get the latest reiserfs4progs ebuilds from here :-
http://wedge.xwlegacy.net/reiser4progs.tar.bz2 These ebuilds are made and maintained by Wedge_

Extract the tar to /usr/local/portage and emerge reiser4progs.. after doin that make a reiserfs4 partition by the command
mkfs.reiser4 /dev/hd**

Thats all folks... you'll then get your self a shiny brand new Reiserfs4 Parttiion... 8)

Do till here till i figure out what is supposed to be done after this.. i mean after building the partition what else are we supposed to do to beta test it ??
For starters i copied some docs,movies,songs,apps etc etc to this partition and run them from there...
Did a little copy and paste stunts... soo far soo good...

So.. till we get a bunch of errors.. Thats all Folks 8)

Bye,
Jassi
aamonten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love-sources is now hosted at http://www.linuxmall.us/~lovepatch/love-sources/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: