View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: What do you think of my comic? Reply with quote

I run a little comic, and it has vaguely to do with Linux. However, I don't have many readers, which is a shame considering how long I usually work on each comic (~30 hours each). Worst yet, I don't get much feedback, and the people I usually do get feedback from don't understand the topic at hand as much. So tell me what you think!
http://www.lingocomic.com

I'd be greatly appreciative!
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda cosy...
Not bad at all!
However, I think you will have a very narrow audience - simply because you have a lot of text (which I think is great), many people don't like that. But I don't think that's the kind of people who browse this forum.

Anyways, keep up the good work.

- Simon
KungFuHamster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only constructive criticism I cam give is: what seperates this from all the other geek comics? It seems rather formulaic to me.

But that's probably because I read too many geek comics. :)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the visual style, looks a td like watercoloring which is just cool - to much text though.

but..... COFFEE !!
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFuHamster wrote:
The only constructive criticism I cam give is: what seperates this from all the other geek comics? It seems rather formulaic to me.

You are correct, I'm afraid, in many ways. At least as of yet. There are about to be some interesting advances in the storyline.
Hm.... so what seperates this? Maybe my rediculously large dialogues (see, I'm a writer first, artist second.... programmer third), and I think my art style is a bit unique.... even though it takes forever to complete.
Question... what do you think looked better? When I had the purple wing things up top, or the latest comic, where I don't?
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... coffee. I used to have a coffee pot right next to my monitor. It was great -- being able to program and control the "coffee creation process" would've been even better.

great work, keep it up!
-Craig
Linux User #223670
KungFuHamster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paroneayea wrote:
KungFuHamster wrote:

You are correct, I'm afraid, in many ways. At least as of yet. There are about to be some interesting advances in the storyline.
Hm.... so what seperates this? Maybe my rediculously large dialogues (see, I'm a writer first, artist second.... programmer third), and I think my art style is a bit unique.... even though it takes forever to complete.
Question... what do you think looked better? When I had the purple wing things up top, or the latest comic, where I don't?

While this is true, I feel the need to oint out the one thing that stood out the most: Your two charachters.

Look at Penny Arcade, Ctrl-Alt-Del, and most other gamer and geek comics. What do you notice? Two main charachters: one's erratic and hyperactive, and other is a bit more mellow. Work on your charachters a bit more, flesh them out a bit, and it'll help a lot in the long run.

Oh, and get a forum going! It'll be a bit slow in the beginning, but it'll help build a community later on.

Also, you might want to consider signing up over at BuzzComix for added publicity.

Last edited by KungFuHamster on Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwydion wrote:
being able to program and control the "coffee creation process" would've been even better.

In case you're wondering, the HOWTO we refer to is in fact real. But we haven't really tried it out. (we're working on it.) Anywho, here it is:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Coffee.html
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comics are not bad at all. The style/graphics are nice, I like em. Maybe others don't but the style is sort of "unique", which is very important. I mean who would like to read a Foxtrot style comic which is about something completely different :wink:

The jokes are okey. I think the best way of promoting your "online comic" is not to promote it at all, except for maybe make the site available at altavista.com, google.com and other search engines.

If people like it, and think it's good and funny, people will find it anyway. It takes time. Just look at megatokyo.com It wasn't popular at all in the beginning, but now you find megatokyo banners on all kind of sites. It has even grown to a own community.

I wish you good luck and lot of ideas on your upcoming comic strips. And yes, I will post a link in a IRC channel where my friends "hang" :D
mbonig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read everybody elses comments... but do you like doing them? Then keep doing them! I like the style and anything linux based can't be bad!
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I certainly do like doing them.... and I will keep working on them. I just hope eventually that some people read them.
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'm looking for some more advice from any of you who have read my comic... suggestions on the web site design, actually.
Do you think the main page looks nice? Should the comic page have the same header and navbar that the main page does? And lastly, do you think I should put the comic navigation buttons inside the left navbar?

Thanks for any responses : )
northern
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I enjoyed the reading but really my point of posting is your graphics. If you truly did them yourself then I'm very impressed :wink: . No matter how long it takes you that stuff is good, keep it up and you could use it as a reference for a CV once you finish college, whether you go into PC CG or not as it shows initiative and talent.

Top marks to ya :D

On the website design thing I thinks it a bit minimalist on the info from the front page, maybe add some contrasting colours ? I always think orange looks good on the web, but thats personal opinion. Whatever, Im impressed.

:wink:
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you greatly for your comments!
Yes, I did do all the graphics myself. And they did take a hell of a long time. But that's okay, I love doing them : )
I was thinking of putting up a tarball of all the XCF (the format the GIMP uses) files I use for each comic, that way my comic is more "open source" and anyone can play around with it. On top of that, I'm thinking that maybe I'll put up a tutorial that explains the very chaotic method that is the creation of my comics. Do you think people would be interested in these things?
insid0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFuHamster wrote:
While this is true, I feel the need to oint out the one thing that stood out the most: Your two charachters.

Look at ... What do you notice? Two main charachters: one's erratic and hyperactive, and other is a bit more mellow. Work on your charachters a bit more, flesh them out a bit, and it'll help a lot in the long run.

Although it's true that there is a propinquity between this comic and other "geek strips," namely because of the subject matter and the two main characters, I feel I must state here that the characters aren't fabrications to be "fleshed out" at will. Those are true-to-life characters. How do I know? Hi, I'm Jay. And the insane, babbling antagonist presented in the comic is me. 100%.

In fact, I sincerely doubt that Chris (or anyone, for that matter) could write dialog that more accurately represents how I am on a day-to-day basis. Actually, the entire relationship between the comic characters and their real-life counterparts is amazingly accurate as well.

The current story arc will end soon, perhaps finally yielding to the main plot (which is about as convoluted and zany as any series could be). Whether that's the case or no, I really couldn't tell you. I don't really take part in the creation/scripting process.

As a last addendum, if you read the series through, you'll note a steady (though oft-subtle) shift in the style of art. I'm pretty impressed with how well it is drawn. x (5,000 ^ 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510). I'd go into further precision but that's as much pi as I have memorized.
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh look, it's Jay!
Yeah... I think you'll see that Jay is as wordy in real life as he is in the comic....
What he says is right though. If the characters are cliche geek comic characters in any way, it's because we are so in real life. He's also right about there being new characters being introduced, and also right about this coffee saga finally coming to a close. It _is_ getting a wee bit drawn out.
But, KungFuHamster, I do appreciate your comment. It confirmed my suspicions that our characters were following that classic geek comic trend.
Also... I'm thinking of that forum idea of yours.... I think I'll do that.

Last edited by paroneayea on Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
insid0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly so :( I'm infamous for my screeds and lengthy diatribes. Apologies.
humpback
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paroneayea wrote:
On top of that, I'm thinking that maybe I'll put up a tutorial that explains the very chaotic method that is the creation of my comics. Do you think people would be interested in these things?

I guess this would be great. There are not many good Gimp Tutorials, so you would hit two rabits with one stroke.
It's most certainly GNU/Linux, not Linux. Read more at
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html .
-------------
Andersson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humpback wrote:
paroneayea wrote:
On top of that, I'm thinking that maybe I'll put up a tutorial that explains the very chaotic method that is the creation of my comics. Do you think people would be interested in these things?

I guess this would be great. There are not many good Gimp Tutorials, so you would hit two rabits with one stroke.

Three actually, count me in. Ehm... I mean I'd be interested in that tutorial as well. I'd like to be able to use gimp some day. :)
northern
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tutorial or 2 on how you did it would be excellent. I used to be OK at potatochop a few years ago before I went 100% linux and have yet to learn much about the gimp.
As a bynote, dyou recommend any particular book on the gimp ?

Cheers
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments and encouragement! I think this means that I will end up starting that tutorial after all.
In response to northern's question... well, my response is somewhat mixed.
You should _definetly_ keep Grokking the GIMP bookmarked for reference... though it seems to be getting a bit outdated, especially if you're trying out gimp 1.3 like I am. (I really reccomend doing so, it's very stable and very functional.) Still a handy reference, however, and I return to it from time to time. If you feel so inclined, you can even buy said book.
But I didn't learn most of what I know off of that book... most of it came from reading, and following along with, the tutorials on the GIMP website (excellent way to learn the basics of the interface. Though I think I was cheap and only read the first two tutorials.) You can find these here. And if you have any questions about what those buttons do, most of them are covered here.
The GIMP has put up a prettier, experimental site that I really hope they switch over to soon. There are even more tutorials on there... they even added the tutorial that tought me how to paint colors under sketches, which you can view here. However, I've found a much better way to paint under my sketches than is noted here. I think I'll put up more info on that in my tutorial.

Hope this was helpful! This explaination was much longer than I expected it to be : )
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I think it might be a good idea to wait for gimp 2.0 before I will put together this tutorial... since I really don't know whether to use 1.2 or 1.3 otherwise else.
northern
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, and I look forward to your tutorials, I'll check out the pages you've linked to tomorrow - give me something to do at work :lol:

Cheers again.
|darc|
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it :)
skyfolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT