(ELKS) linux on a RDS R1610 print-server :D
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: (ELKS) linux on a RDS R1610 print-server :D Reply with quote

Ok, it's really as wierd as it sounds - a guy at work asked me for a favour. Nothing wierd untill now ...but the favour itself is the wierd thing - he has a RDS R1610 print-server which he wants to turn into a device to copy images from his digital camera to a USB-disk.

This is what the bugger looks like:
- it's around 2"x2" big
- JTAG
- RDS R1610 processor ...which basically is a 100Mhz RISC behaving like a 80186 (no joke!!!)
- 1MB RAM
- 512KB Flash
- Ethernet
- USB

What he wants is to get an improved ELKS system on the flash, conviencing JTAG to get the image from the Ethernet (or USB if needed).

The problem is that he doesn't know how to get ELKS to use Ethernet and USB (ad disks). ELKS doesn't provide the drivers for that ...how to use/convert Linux drivers in ELKS to run on this "80186"?

Why all this fuss? Well, he says when/if this gets done - he'd have a perfcect tool to copy/move data from one disk / block device to the other - in his case from a digital camera (via USB) to a USB harddisk. Later on he'd also plug in an little terminal using RS232 (don't ask me what that is!)
....I'm pretty sure if we get this bugger to work, he'll be kind enough to publish the elks/linux distro for this cause and the needed documentation to get the bugger running :)

...if this bugger runs, can i change my post in the "What's the wierdest machine you installed Linux on"? :P

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hook,

Have a look at www.handhelds.org.

Familiar linux is a distro for IPaq and the like. It has serial drivers, USB drivers Ethernet etc. but its still 32 bit though.

It may be a better starting point.

There is a fair amount of info on the web on the R1610, including a evaluation board for it.

A serial port is for connecting a dumb terminat to, like a VT-100.

Regards,

NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info ...didn't think that anyone would reply to such a wierd topic at all :)

iPaq - the differrence is that the iPaq and all similar devices (including iPod) have passive USB ...the guys says he needs the USB to be active. ...i'll take a look at the driver, though.

yes, he intends to run a vt100, only he said something about using RS232 (don't have the sketch of the system near me now, so it might be called slightly different), which AFAIR he said is impemented into that RISC/80186 processor (or was it flash?) to use a vt100 terminal using some buttons and a small lcd

the main problem still are the ethernet and usb drivers ...i dearly hope the iPaq drivers would be easier to convert.

hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the guy gave up ...he said that it's too much trouble, because the JTAG in the beast is for no good reason a non-standard JTAG build ...so he'd need a PARADIGM translator to get anything done at all. ...he said he'll just get himself an iPAQ, flash it with linux, and get a PCMCIA dosking station with two active USB ports to get the work done ...he says it's not worth (to him) the hassle trying to get a PARADIGM and trying to understand all of it

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: