Game files dir seems not to follow standards
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Game files dir seems not to follow standards Reply with quote

I've noted that some games are installed in defferent directories. For exemple, Frozen Bubble is installed directly at /usr/bin while Pingus is installed at /usr/games/bin.

I read the file system hierarchy (man hier) and noted that the correct directory should be /usr/games/bin for all games, and that /usr/local/games should be used to store programs used by the games currently installed, but I'm not sure about this, and also /usr/share/games sohuld be used to store non-source game data, such as images, levels, etc..

But Frozen Bubble doesn't seem to follow those conventions. The game is compiled from source by portage, so isn't a ebuild decision the place to install the program files? So, isn't there a mistake in the FB ebuild, that uses wrong places to install the game?

I'm new to Gentoo, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check if it was discussed on https://bugs.gentoo.org and if not file a bug for it
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and it seems there is nothing about it. Before I file a bug for it, i'd just like to know if not to install a game in /usr/games/bin can be considered a flaw.

Thanks in advance.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know and I (personally) don't care if it installs its executable in /usr/bin or /usr/games/bin, so I can't tell if it's a flaw as I'm not a games developer/maintainer.
Brandy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fernandotcl, in the past games where installed a little haphazardously in a variety of locations. Now the newer games ebuilds use a nice feature of the games eclass which causes the compiled binary to be installed to /usr/games/bin (or /opt if they are binary packages.) From the games eclass:
Code:

export GAMES_BINDIR="/usr/games/bin"

and the frozen-bubble-1.0.0-r3 ebuild:
Code:

make \
      PREFIX=${D}/usr \
      BINDIR=${D}/${GAMES_BINDIR} \
      DATADIR=${D}/${GAMES_DATADIR} \
      MANDIR=${D}/usr/share/man \
      install \
      || die

This indicates that frozen-bubble-1.0.0-r3 will now install its binaries to /usr/games/bin. Of course frozen-bubble-1.0.0-r2 and above are currently ~x86 which explains why you still 'suffer' from a binary in /usr/bin) :)

An overview of the Gentoo File system Locations may provide you with some extra information.

Ciao, Brandy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: