Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Where is Gentoo/OSX
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Where is Gentoo/OSX Reply with quote

A few months ago now it was announced on the Gentoo frontpage that an effort was being made to make Portage available to OSX users. Posts by developers to the forums in mid-September said that osx.gentoo.org would have more information, however the site has never even been put up. The IRC channel on freenode has about 2-3 people in it who are always idle. Can anyone tell me if this effort is still being made? Maybe some updates by the developers. Searching the internet proved that there was a lot of support for portage on OSX, but everyone has pretty much given up on it, since there have been absolutely no updates on its progress. Does anyone know anything about this project?

pgray
pgray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump...anyone?
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, i think it was announced that the cream of package management systems (including portage on OSX) were going to merge their resources and create something new.......but i could be wrong :?
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you're wrong. :)

what you're thinking of was probably the metapkg project, which was an effort by fink, darwinports, and gentoo to colloborate on patches used to get apps to compile on OS X, and was completely independent of packaging systems. but not much has happened with that (judging from the near-silence on the metapkg mailing list).

on the gentoo OS X list, there was an announcement that there would be an announcement in december. :)

I'd guess that there are only so many ppc developers, and they're spending much more of their time working on gentoo linux for ppc rather than getting portage working on OS X.

I've seen talk of hacking portage so it merges everything to /opt/gentoo on OS X (rather than / like it does in gentoo linux)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: