View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koroumel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In /etc/X11/xinit, create a file called Xmodmap that has something like "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 8 11 12 9 10 4 5" as text inside it. Now it will be loaded at startup!
Registered Linux User No #242616
koroumel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way :

xorg.conf

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "XOrg Configured"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice    "Logitech MX1000" "CorePointer"
   InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
   RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "extmod"
#   Load  "dri"
   Load  "dbe"
   Load  "record"
   Load  "xtrap"
   Load  "glx"
#   Load  "speedo"
   Load  "type1"
   Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Logitech MX1000"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option       "Protocol" "evdev"
   Option       "Dev Name" "Logitech USB Receiver" #cat /proc/bus/input/devices
   Option       "Dev Phys" "usb-0000:00:10.1-2/input0" #cat /proc/bus/input/devices
   Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice" # Choose the correct input event here.
   Option        "Buttons"  "12"
   Option       "ZAxisMapping" "11 12"
   Option       "Resolution" "800"
   Option      "CorePointer"
EndSection

Code:
amd64 root # cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=402000000 3802078f840d001 f2ffffdfffefffff fffffffffffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c50e Version=2500
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:10.1-2/input0
H: Handlers=kbd mouse0 event1
B: EV=120007
B: KEY=ffff0000 1000000000000 0 0 0
B: REL=103
B: LED=fc00

Are you using udev Heliode? Is you usb set up properly in kernel? Check these out as well as my configs and let us know.
Heliode
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Think I figured it out. I emerged coldplug and, after rebooting, I also got a entry for "Logitech USB Receiver" in my /proc/bus/input/devices . Now all the buttons generate events.
I've used xbindkeys (as described in this howto) to set the two thumb-buttons for back and forward, and the middle thumb button for 3ddesk.

However, no matter what I do, I can't get the damned thing to scroll :P the wheel generates mouse-events 11 and 12, and those are entered in ZAxisMapping... so I don't understand why it doesn't scroll. Any ideas?

I've learned a lot thanks to this topic! Before any of this, I never realised setting up a mouse could be so complicated. Quite an eye-opener ;) Thanks so far!

Edit: strangely, when xbindkeys isn't enabled yet, the forward thumb-button scrolls down while the back thumb-button scrolls up 8O

My current xorg.conf;
Code:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse[0]"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Protocol"      "evdev"
        Option          "Dev Name"      "Logitech USB Receiver" #cat /proc/bus/input/devices
        Option          "Dev Phys"      "usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0" #cat /proc/bus/input/devices
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Buttons"       "12"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "11 12"
        Option          "Resolution"   "800"
        Option          "CorePointer"

Spec hightlights:
Pentium IV 3000 mhz HT
1024 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Logitech MX1000
And a total of 520 GB of HD space
koroumel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use xmodmap -e pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 8 11 12 9 10 4 5, you will have scroll wheel and the side buttons will navigate forward/backward in web pages.
Gwydion77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: @FFred Reply with quote

I think currently it's not possible to get all buttons working when the mouse is connected via PS/2.
But this cannot be a PS/2 limitation, because under Windoze all buttons work properly.

Does anyone know how to get unfiltered "raw" data from the ps/2 port? All devices I have tried (like "cat /dev/input/event0") do not show anything when pressing the middle thumb button or the horizontal scrolling buttons. So I think that these devices only show somehow "filtered" output.
Heliode
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koroumel wrote:
If you use xmodmap -e pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 8 11 12 9 10 4 5, you will have scroll wheel and the side buttons will navigate forward/backward in web pages.

No such luck... no matter what I do with xmodmap, my mouse behaves exactly the same as it did before. I issue, exactly, the following command;
Code:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 8 11 12 9 10 4 5"

And I even restart X with ctrl+alt+backspace, but still the two thumb buttons make the page go up and down (funny enough, the forward button makes it go down, while the backward button makes it go up)and the scroll wheel does a strange kind of selecting action. I've tried a lot of other xmodmap commands but whatever I do, the mouse keeps responding in the same way.

Edit: there is a file in my homedir called ".Xmodmap" with the pointer line in it. I tried manually changing that with a text editor, but it didn't have any effect. Just tought it might be relevant ;)

If we finially get this working maybe this could be added to the FAQ, seeing how many people have viewed this topic.

Gwydion77 wrote:
I think currently it's not possible to get all buttons working when the mouse is connected via PS/2.
But this cannot be a PS/2 limitation, because under Windoze all buttons work properly.

Does anyone know how to get unfiltered "raw" data from the ps/2 port? All devices I have tried (like "cat /dev/input/event0") do not show anything when pressing the middle thumb button or the horizontal scrolling buttons. So I think that these devices only show somehow "filtered" output.

Do you have evdev in the kernel and coldplug on startup? For me, that managed to give me all the events the mouse can generate. Not sure how that would be for PS/2 though, since my pc doesn't have any PS/2 connection points.

Spec hightlights:
Pentium IV 3000 mhz HT
1024 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Logitech MX1000
koroumel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete that Xmodmap from your home dir, and from the /etc/X11/xinit/ dir, they could be messing up things for you. Honestly, I can't see what else is going wrong. Since you can see events for every button in xev, you can then program the buttons to you liking by using Xmodmap. You shouldn't restart you X server after you type the Xmodmap string (in case you did so). Could you also try not to use xbindkeys for mouse events... in case this is conflicting with Xmodmap (some would say that what I just typed is totaly wrong.... and they are possibly right)
Gwydion77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliode wrote:
Do you have evdev in the kernel and coldplug on startup? For me, that managed to give me all the events the mouse can generate. Not sure how that would be for PS/2 though, since my pc doesn't have any PS/2 connection points.

As all buttons are working via USB (I wrote this earlier, and why I have to use PS/2) I think the evdev stuff is all configured correctly. About coldplug i do not know, I wasn't aware that I may need that. Actually I never heard of that before :wink:
What is necessary to enable coldplug (kernel options, config file)?
Heliode
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwydion77 wrote:
Heliode wrote:

As all buttons are working via USB (I wrote this earlier, and why I have to use PS/2) I think the evdev stuff is all configured correctly. About coldplug i do not know, I wasn't aware that I may need that. Actually I never heard of that before :wink:
What is necessary to enable coldplug (kernel options, config file)?

Well, for me, this worked;

Code:

emerge coldplug

and after that;
Code:

rc-update add coldplug boot

Coldplug is like hotplug, but for devices connected on startup. For instance, mice :wink:

I'll now try what koroumel suggested... i'll edit the results in asap.

Edit:

That worked, thanks! This is great!
I can't believe how much i've learned from this, thanks a lot!
If its not too much trouble, could you also tell me how to assign the other buttons to functions like application starting and such? Or would I absolutely need Xbindkeys for that?

Thanks again!

Edit #2:

Hmm when I logg out and back in, my key config is back to its old behavior, although I do have a file in '/ect/X11/xinit' called 'Xmodmap' with the propper command in it.

Spec hightlights:
Pentium IV 3000 mhz HT
1024 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Logitech MX1000
koroumel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, if itr is in xinit, it should get loaded, maybe the system is not checking for the config file there... I really don't have a chance checking it now... as usual I'm at work stuck with a win2k desktop system.
karr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that I am using an mx310, but this thread still helped me get all 8 buttons working. I noticed something interesting about the "Dev Phys" option. It seems that with the mx310 it is unneeded, and causes the mouse, and Xorg to not work if the mouse is plugged into a different USB slot than the one used for "cat /proc/bus/input/devices", since each usb slot has different value for this.

Like I said, I don't know if it hold true that you dont need Option "Dev Phys" with the mx1000, but I thought I would point it out, in case it does.
satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MX1000 and so far I've the scroll wheel to use page up and down, and the front button on the side to do close (alt+f4 in gnome). I have the back button on the side set as minimize (alt+f9 in gnome), but it isn't working for some reason. Below is a copy of the .xbindkeysrc. I even tried adding the -xsendevent to it also for the minimize with no luck though. Any idea how to make it minimize the window? Also, any ideas on getting the scroll to be a smaller and smoother scroll, i.e. 3-5 lines rather than a page at a time? Thanks.

# the up and down by the wheel pages up and down
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Page_Up]""
m:0x10 + b:11
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Page_Down]""
m:0x10 + b:12

#Close window
"xvkbd -text "\[Alt_L]\[F4]""
m:0x10 + b:5
#Minimize window
"xvkdb -text "\[Alt_L]\[F9]""
m:0x10 + b:4
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you havn't switched yet, I'd highly reccomend everyone switch to one of the Xorg 6.8.99 snapshots that are in portage. They have official evdev support in them thats much easier to use and automatically maps the buttons to work properly everywhere.

I put together a little guide/information dump on getting it to work this way, if anyones interested:
http://floam.sh.nu/guides/mx1000
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea, floam... but i am using a ati radeon 9600xt with ati-drivers.

how do i get around that and ati-drivers incompatibility with the new xorgs????
xante
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have all the buttons recognized using this xorg.conf:
x11-base/xorg-x11
Latest version available: 7.0
Latest version installed: 6.8.2-r6
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "evdev"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
        Option      "Buttons" "12       "
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Dev Phys" "usb-*/input0"
EndSection

Code:
xante # cat .xinitrc | grep xmo
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 4 5"

This is where I become a little frosty on what to do, I have never heard of xvkbd and xbindkeys, I knew it was possible and I had only really heard about fluxbox's implementation of it. Let me know if i have to do anything more than this to set xvkbd and xbindkeys:
Code:
xante # cat .xbindkeysrc
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]""
  m:0x10 + b:11
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Right]""
  m:0x10 + b:12

And that is my xwindows startup, yet my mouse refuses horizantal scrolling. Any explanations?
xante
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see where my mistake is, Alt_L Left causes mozilla firefox to go back a page, just change that to a quick Left only and you have your horiz scrolling for the majority of programs anyways. Just thinking about this after using it for a couple days, is there any better way, that would allow all programs to recognize horizantal scrolling or could you set specific movments per application, Like:
When left horizantal scroll is operated in firefox it sends a "Left" from the keyboard.
And say if your using gimp, it would scroll in or out which is "ctrl up/down" If i remember correctly.
These are just examples.
xante
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so lucky I guess, couple of days playing around and Ive come to the conclusion, I still need the forums support. With the configuration above I have discovered that a single click left or right will do the trick, but when I hold down the left/right direction the first movement will be left/right but after holding it it will move up and down again, any solutions?
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first thing is me and evdev aren't getting along... and I probably won't change to a higher version of X 'till it get's stable. I have scroll working. and I don't care about horizontal scroll. the forward and back thumb button's seemed to be mapped to the same event's as 1 and 2. don't know why. they are the only thing I care about working. I see some people have like 4 button's in there zaxis and others have 2 in there xorg.conf. I've also tried several different configurations of xmodmap... none of it works. I'm pretty sure I can get these button's working as they merely just seem to be mapped wrong... maybe I should say it's a 12 button? because it won't detect the horizontal scroll? I've no idea.... I can post those the relevant section's if needed however. It won't say much. oh I have the bluetooth mx1000 I got the desktop set.
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and floam... your site is laggy... you need to redesign it take the fancy stuff your trying to do out. I don't mean to be insulting. It's pretty bad here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: