View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alyent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to exit from KDE to console (no reboot, Xwin shoul be closed. Do not say C-c or Killall KDE)?
Zr40
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alyent wrote:
Does anyone know how to exit from KDE to console (no reboot, Xwin shoul be closed. Do not say C-c or Killall KDE)?

Killall kdm kills the process that respawns kde, and takes down kde with it.
(At least that works with Gnome, (killall gdm) but I can't verify it because I can't compile KDE. (see above))
axafluff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Shutting down KDE Reply with quote

Try 'telinit 3'
SethGecko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace normally kills the X-Server.
Zr40
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SethGecko wrote:
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace normally kills the X-Server.

But if you started X with xdm, gdm or kdm it will restart.
LoOpYgUy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used xdm when your computer boots up, then you can just stop xdm and X should close down completely, stopping any X applications that are running, including all window managers..
Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm stop

That should take care of it all.. make sure you save your work before doing this though :?
ryan83vt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um... how do I install a previous version of xfree? do I have to mask 4.2.1?
craig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Simple fix Reply with quote

zeroone wrote:

Hard Workaround:
1) Remove XFree 4.2.1
2) Install XFree 4.2.0
3) Emerge kde-base
4) Upgrade XFree to 4.2.1 (or leave it at 4.2.0 if you want)

Simple (no recompile needed)
Backup /usr/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h
Replace with http://theninthbit.com/gentoo/Xft.h (this is from XFree 4.2.0)
emerge kde-base
Replace the old Xft.h with the backup copy you made.

This worked for me, so let me know if it doesnt work for you, but it should. I tested on several boxes I have.

Hi I tried something similar to this. Have a look at my post:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=24558

Bascially kde breaks for me with kdeaddons-3.0.4 I have tried numerous things that you mentioned like:

1) Remove XFree 4.2.1
2) Install XFree 4.2.0
3) Emerge kde

but it fails at 3)

Any more suggestions from anyone. From the sounds of things that installing kde with these extra packages is making everyone have some problems.

Cheers Craig
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually able to compile KDE 3.04 with XFree 4.2.1 r1, but it crashes immediately after logging in through KDM and choosing language. I get a few KDE dialogs telling me some processes have crashed (don't ask me exactly which, I'm tired). So, after that I went through the whole process again with 3.04, again exactly the same happens :( From what I see people are saying 3.04 doesnt compile with 4.21? I was able to merge it at least...
I compiled the thing with these flags: -march=athlon -O2 -pipe -malign-double -mmmx -mno-sse -m3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer.
I'm using Qt 3.1, and Xft 2 (replaced the header with Xft.h.good), fontconfig 2, XFree 4.21-r1, freetype 2.1.2 -r2 among others.

Come to think of it though, I first compiled KDevelop 2.1.3 along with KDELibs and arts (some time ago). It didnt seem to work either, so I thought I'd try with the full KDE instead (which has worked for me in the past). Any ideas as to what might be the culprit? Really annoying this....
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, arts and kdemultimedia don't like -fomit-frame-pointer, but I thought this option was masked in the last ebuilds. I would suggest you to check it.
BTW, KDE 3.1 is almost there...

() wrote:
I was actually able to compile KDE 3.04 with XFree 4.2.1 r1, but it crashes immediately after logging in through KDM and choosing language. I get a few KDE dialogs telling me some processes have crashed (don't ask me exactly which, I'm tired). So, after that I went through the whole process again with 3.04, again exactly the same happens :( From what I see people are saying 3.04 doesnt compile with 4.21? I was able to merge it at least...
I compiled the thing with these flags: -march=athlon -O2 -pipe -malign-double -mmmx -mno-sse -m3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer.
I'm using Qt 3.1, and Xft 2 (replaced the header with Xft.h.good), fontconfig 2, XFree 4.21-r1, freetype 2.1.2 -r2 among others.

Come to think of it though, I first compiled KDevelop 2.1.3 along with KDELibs and arts (some time ago). It didnt seem to work either, so I thought I'd try with the full KDE instead (which has worked for me in the past). Any ideas as to what might be the culprit? Really annoying this....
craig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

() wrote:
I was actually able to compile KDE 3.04 with XFree 4.2.1 r1, but it crashes immediately after logging in through KDM and choosing language. I get a few KDE dialogs telling me some processes have crashed (don't ask me exactly which, I'm tired).

Hi I can run kde from the terminal after logging in as root user or another user by typing kdm however it doesn't have all the packages such as kdeaddons-3.0.4 . I am using kde-3.0.4 and XFree 4.2.1.

Cheers Craig
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
In my experience, arts and kdemultimedia don't like -fomit-frame-pointer, but I thought this option was masked in the last ebuilds. I would suggest you to check it.
BTW, KDE 3.1 is almost there...

Ok, trying to re-emerge everything now, with simply -march=athlon -O2 -pipe. Hoping this'll work... KDevelop 3.0 alpha-2 broke during emerge as well :\
craig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi I can run kde from the terminal after logging in as root user by typing kdm however it doesn't have all the packages such as kdeaddons-3.0.4 . I am using kde-3.0.4 and XFree 4.2.1.

Cheers Craig

To get rid of the kdeaddons package I used the following flag, -i, in the emerge command, which is just a stub for the kdeaddons package:

Quote:

inject (-i)
Injecting a package inserts a 'stub' for that pack-
age so that Portage thinks that it is installed.
It is handy if you need, say, a binary version of
XFree86 for esoteric hardware, or you just like to
roll your own packages. You must specify a cate-
gory and particular version of a package for
injecting. For example, emerge inject sys-ker-
nel/gentoo-sources-2.4.19.

I then used the following code and it worked:

Code:

emerge -i kde-base/kdeaddons-3.0.4
emerge kde

This was a suggestion from another Gentoo user. mcg. Have a look at the other thread where I have been posting some of my problems:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=24558

I am now emerge (ing) the other packages I didn't do when I commented them out in the config file to get the basic kde working.

Cheers Craig
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would work injecting other non-essential stuff as well, such as kdeedu, kdegraphics? I don't really use all this extra stuff anyway. At least it would shorten the compile time some.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is OK, but if something does not work, you can emerge it later.

() wrote:
Do you think it would work injecting other non-essential stuff as well, such as kdeedu, kdegraphics? I don't really use all this extra stuff anyway. At least it would shorten the compile time some.
craig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would work injecting other non-essential stuff as well, such as kdeedu, kdegraphics. Because my main aim was just to get the main base running and then add everything else that I wanted after that.

Cheers Craig
spudicus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would
Code:
 emerge --nodeps kdebase

achieve the same thing?

Also I've just discovered the hard way that applying the Xft.h fix before emerging qt, will break the qt compile :oops: .
Originally I ran
Code:
 emerge kde
until it broke and then added the quick fix, but this time I tried (unsuccessfully) to get in early
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spudicus wrote:
Would
Code:
 emerge --nodeps kdebase

achieve the same thing?

Also I've just discovered the hard way that applying the Xft.h fix before emerging qt, will break the qt compile :oops: .
Originally I ran
Code:
 emerge kde
until it broke and then added the quick fix, but this time I tried (unsuccessfully) to get in early

It seems to me the Xft.h.good deals with apps that aren't compatible with Xft 2 (don't shoot me if I'm wrong). Qt 3.1, on the other hand, seems to compile just fine with Xft 2.
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to compile KDE with relatively aggressive compiler settings? I don't know for sure yet, but anything above -O seems to break things here :/
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone been able to compile KDE with relatively aggressive compiler settings? I don't know for sure yet, but anything above -O seems to break things here :/

Don't bother with anything beyond the defaults. You won't see any noticable performance increases, and you'll spend hours trying to get it to compile. If you actually do get it to work, you could end up with a very unstable build.
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't bother with anything beyond the defaults. You won't see any noticable performance increases, and you'll spend hours trying to get it to compile. If you actually do get it to work, you could end up with a very unstable build.

From what I remember though I was able to compile KDE 3.04 with more aggressive settings. Well, well. I guess I'll find out.
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread for a couple of days now, since I was doing a reinstall of Gentoo on my main box after playing w/ Redhat 8. Since KDE takes so long to compile, I wanted to make sure I got it right. I figured I'd outline the steps I took to get a succesful KDE 3 compile, using tips from this thread as well as a few others.

1) Installed my base system from a stage3 tarball using the basic livecd v1.4rc1 from ibibllio.org. Followed the Gentoo Installation Guide for most of the way.
2) Used the default use flags plus dvd, alsa, pda, gphoto2, imap, gtk2. These are mostly for my own specific needs and wants, and aren't necessary for a succesful build, although gtk2 gives you gorgeous fonts in Mozilla 1.2.1.
3) I DID NOT use the unstable/testing branch, yet. This is key.
4) 'emerge -u system'. This will update GCC and make the 'ld.so' dependancy errors go away.
5) 'emerge =xfree-4.2.0-r12'
6) 'emerge kdelibs'. Go to bed, this will take a while.
7) In the morning, 'emerge kde'. Go to work/school, this will take even longer.
8) Configure X, and you now have a working X/KDE configuration. We're not done, thought.
9) 'emerge -u xfree' will update us to 4.2.1.
10) Now feel free to change over to the unstable/testing branch to grab newer versions of desktop software. If you want a stable, working box, don't update your entire system to unstable. Just use it for installing your apps.

The above steps led to a working, beautiful KDE desktop with X 4.2.1. I subsequently emerged mozilla 1.2.1, and while I can't use Java in it yet, the fonts are great!
firekite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchuckles wrote:
8) Configure X, and you now have a working X/KDE configuration. We're not done, thought.

Good stuff on your post, chuckles, but does anyone have any suggestions as to places to go with information for a noob such as myself on actually completing a step like "Configure X"? Are there any commandline utilities in the same vein as makeconfig for kernel configuration that I could use for X?

Thanks!
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the Desktop Configuration Guide.
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5) 'emerge =xfree-4.2.0-r12'
6) 'emerge kdelibs'. Go to bed, this will take a while.
7) In the morning, 'emerge kde'. Go to work/school, this will take even longer.
9) 'emerge -u xfree' will update us to 4.2.1.

hmm, I already have xfree 4.2.1 up and running. Do you think the Xft.h fix will work instead of me having to downgrade to 4.2.0 and then upgrade back to 4.2.1?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: