View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhino
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try using th first ebuild, the gcc-3.3-r1.ebuild gave me some troubles when installing too.
subodh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: cyfred you might wanna look at this Reply with quote

It looks like there is some sort of error with libgcc.mk.new patch (just a guess) . make install tries to move the file to a location which does not exist.

This is the output of the error.

Code:

* Applying libgcc.mk fix for correct installation...

>>> Install gcc-3.3-r1 into /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/ category sys-devel
 * Installing GCC...
/bin/sh /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/gcc/mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//usr /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//usr
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/var
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/var/tmp
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/var/tmp/portage
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/usr
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/build/libiberty'
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/build/libiberty/testsuite'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/build/libiberty/testsuite'
/bin/sh /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/gcc/libiberty/../mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//usr/lib
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/usr/lib
/bin/sh /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/gcc/install-sh -c -m 644 libiberty.a /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//usr/lib/libiberty.an
( cd /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//usr/lib ; ranlib libiberty.an )
mv -f /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//usr/lib/libiberty.an /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//usr/lib/libiberty.a
mv: cannot move `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//usr/lib/libiberty.an' to [b]`/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image//usr/lib/libiberty.a'[/b]: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install_to_libdir] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/build/libiberty'
make: *** [install-libiberty] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.3-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_install, Line 249, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i got aspell to compile today, prog/checker_string.cpp needs an #include <assert.h>
trevorj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get a slightly different problem while "Installing GCC"
Code:
>>> Install gcc-3.3-r1 into /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/image/ category sys-devel
 * Installing GCC...
----------<snip>----------
NM_FOR_TARGET="/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/nm" AWK="gawk" \
  LIBGCC2_CFLAGS="-O2  -DIN_GCC    -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -isystem ./include  -fPIC -g -DHAVE_GTHR_DEFAULT -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED " \
  INCLUDES="-I. -I. -I/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/gcc/gcc -I/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/gcc/gcc/. -I/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/gcc/gcc/config -I/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/gcc/gcc/../include" \
  CONFIG_H="tconfig.h " MACHMODE_H="machmode.h machmode.def /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/gcc/gcc/config/i386/i386-modes.def" \
  LIB1ASMSRC='' \
  MAKEOVERRIDES= \
  -f libgcc.mk all
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/build/gcc'
for d in libgcc; do \
  if [ -d $d ]; then true; else /bin/sh /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/work/gcc-3.3/gcc/mkinstalldirs $d; fi; \
done
if [ -f stmp-dirs ]; then true; else touch stmp-dirs; fi
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/work/gcc-3.3/gcc/libgcc2.c', needed by `libgcc/./_muldi3.o'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3-r1/work/build/gcc'
make: *** [install-gcc] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.3-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_install, Line 249, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

[ edit ] trevorj: this _could_ be related to a broken sed problem ( due to libaudiooss. damn stupid lib that b0rks systems =) hehe [ /edit ]
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the link to the snapshot has been noted, and I will re-write an ebuild to incorporate that tar ball by default, but will also have functionality similar to ALSA so that you can choose to use the CVS source if you want.

That will probably nullify the use of the CVS Eclass i think...

Im working of a 3.4 ebuild currently but there are more issues there than 3.3 and I am assuming that anyone that really wants to use 3.4 realises that the 3.3 -r1 ebuild can be simply mofied in the snapshot fetch command to provide them with the 3.4 sources.

Give me a day and there will be a new 3.3 ebuild, time to test and sleep and goto uni for 9hrs straight... Blah blah blah...

EDIT :: For those of you that are having issues with libgcc.* either step back to using the original ebuild (theres no difference in sources) or wait for this next release. Unless you must use gcc 3.3 now, Id recommend waiting...
mjoswig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've installed gcc with the gcc-3.3.ebuild (really great job of cyfred!).
Unfortunately I had to reemerge cyrus-imapd and the new compiler gave me this error:
Code:
gcc -c -I/usr/include/db3   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./../lib -I. -I.. -Wall -mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe com_err.c
In file included from com_err.c:54:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/include/varargs.h:4:2: #error "GCC no longer implements <varargs.h>."
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/include/varargs.h:5:2: #error "Revise your code to use <stdarg.h>."
com_err.c:88: error: parse error before "va_list"

Duh. I don't know how many sources use varargs but I'm sure cyrus isn't the only one. Seems like it will be a long time before gcc-3.3 becomes my everytime Compiler.
Any hint what I can do? (Yes, I switch back to 3.2.2 for this one, as I need my imap-server :cry: )
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC 3.3 final is OUT NOW....

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-05/msg01430.html
trevorj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both ebuilds dont work for me. on the gcc-3.3 ebuild, i get:
Code:
---------<snip>----------
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/work/build/gcc'
for d in libgcc; do \
  if [ -d $d ]; then true; else /bin/sh /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/work/gcc-3.3/gcc/mkinstalldirs $d; fi; \
done
if [ -f stmp-dirs ]; then true; else touch stmp-dirs; fi
/bin/sh /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/work/gcc-3.3/install-sh -c -m 644 ./libgcc.a /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/image//usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/
ranlib /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/image//usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/libgcc.a
ranlib: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/image//usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/libgcc.a: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [install] Error 9
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/work/build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [install-libgcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/work/build/gcc'
make: *** [install-gcc] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.3 failed.
!!! Function src_install, Line 251, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

at first it was trying to do things with the directory 3.3, which didnt exist ( but 3.3.1 did ), so i edited the makefile to make it 3.3.1, and by what i know it worked. but now i get the above error. and its trying ( or was ) to install to the DIRECTORY 3.3.1, which is NOT a directory, but a FILE. file != directory. =)
so, of course, it fails.

now, in these last two lines,
Code:
ranlib /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/image//usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1
ranlib: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3/image//usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.
notice that the 3.3.1 is cut off in the second, as all it shows it 3.3.
maybe thats the / one of the problem/s ?
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevorj : yeah that was the problem that the libgcc.mk.patch file is meant to fix, to the best of my knowledge it has done so for most people, not sure why it isnt for you. Actually I lie, I am preety sure its due to the way I designed that file to be patched - a copy of a working file (which was a shonky way to do things). Can you wait for the -r2 and test it, as it comes from the tar ball.

EVERYONE

Im curremtly running my test compile of the GCC 3.3 tar ball, there are around 20 mins remaining (from memory) -- provided that this compile is successful I will post a tar ball package that you can extract into your PORTAGE_OVERLAY directory. If it is not then I will be working on patches until it does successfully compile.

Please check back soon, I will edit this with results.
EDIT :: Bargh it died from sandbox... must be some things still need FAKE_ROOT (which is strange)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyfred, this is awesome - I owe you a beer, the CVS of GCC generates so much better code, and now you have me on the insane optimization train too...
Safrax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just completed a gcc 3.3 ebuild. Currently I'm testing it. Should be done within the next 30 minutes to an hour. I'll post it if the gcc that comes out works...

*note: this ebuild is a hack of the gcc 3.2.3-r1 ebuild.

EDIT:

The ebuild works as it does generate a functioning compiler. However.. I got some sort of sandbox access violation in the install part of the emerge process.. setting SANDBOX_DISABLED=1 solved this. I am unsure as to what nasty horrible awful down right deadly effects this could have on a system. As such I do not recommend using this ebuild unless you want a broken system or know what you are doing. It is very much a hack!

edit: link removed. GCC errors out when compiling itself.

Last edited by Safrax on Thu May 15, 2003 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyfred the ide-cd.h patch for 2.4.20-r5 is still wrong.

it's suppose to be "__u16" not "__u16 short" otherwise you will get an error.
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK two things

1) The idecd error has been fixed .. the patch should now apply the correct changes. The link is as it was before, http://www.volutin.net/~andrew/GENTOO/gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r5.tar.gz
OR if you just want the new patch get it here http://www.volutin.net/~andrew/GENTOO/files/gcc33-idecd.patch

2) The ebuild that uses the tar ball is in my final testing stage, im fairly sure I have made all the patches that are required... I just set it too test the compile and im heading out for a few hours, will upload the new ebuild, digest and patches as a tar ball and post a link when I get back...
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK people here it is, the GCC 3.3 tarball ebuild.
http://www.volutin.net/~andrew/GENTOO/gcc-3.3-r2.tar.gz

I havent tested any compiles with this source yet, I just freshly finished making GCC -- If you have any troubles with this ebuild then let me know, its basically the same as the last two except for the source of the sources to be compiled.

Lovechild wrote:
Cyfred, this is awesome - I owe you a beer, the CVS of GCC generates so much better code, and now you have me on the insane optimization train too...

Welcome to the dark side :)
trevorj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyfred: thanks. great work ;)

im testing it now, will report back with results =)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why tar.gz, wouldn't tar.bz2 be so much better, after all GCC is quite big.
insa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to install gentoo with gcc 3.3?
I want to compile full system from with -march=pentium4.

Is bootstrapping with gcc 3.3 possible? How to do it?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insa wrote:

Not yet, some base packages still fail as I understand - I can't do an emerge -e world at least.
Safrax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyfred wrote:
OK people here it is, the GCC 3.3 tarball ebuild.
Welcome to the dark side :)

Great job cyfred. With your gcc ebuild phoenix/Mozilla - Firebird compiles without error with -march=pentium4. I love this!
mjoswig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohoh, I've installed gcc 3.3 (final) via cyfreds great ebuild (r2). I've reemerged qt and now tried to emerge quanta but get the following error:
Code:
/bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=link --tag=CXX g++  -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef
-Wall -pedantic -W -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new    -o kmdr-executor -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/kde/3.1/lib  -R /usr/kde/3.1/lib -R /usr/qt/3/lib -R /usr/X11R6/lib domtool.o instance.o main.o ewidgetfactory.o ../../kommander/widgets/libkommanderwidgets.la -lkio
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume_or_Rethrow@GCC_3.3'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [kmdr-executor] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/quanta-3.1.1/work/quanta-3.1.1/kommander/executor'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/quanta-3.1.1/work/quanta-3.1.1/kommander'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/quanta-3.1.1/work/quanta-3.1.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any chance it's my own fault?
trevorj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooray it worked! time to recompile firebird because it doesnt currently save my settings for some reason. which is why i cant login to the forums. hehe.

could be a bad cvs update =)

well pretty soon ill recompile quite a few things, ill say something if it fails. =)
thubble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new glibc ebuild + patch doesn't seem to work with nptl support. Any suggestions? I couldn't seem to find the problem even by looking at the patch. Here's the error. Konqueror may screw up the formatting, but the important part is at the end (obviously...)

Code:

gcc ../sysdeps/generic/libc-tls.c -c -std=gnu99 -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wstrict-prot
otypes -Wwrite-strings -falign-functions=4 -fforce-addr -fprefetch-loop-arrays -
freorder-blocks -ftracer -march=pentium3 -mfpmath=sse -pipe      -I../include -I
. -I/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.2-r2/work/glibc-2.3.2/buildhere/csu -I.. -I../lib
io  -I/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.2-r2/work/glibc-2.3.2/buildhere -I../sysdeps/i3
86/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/l
inux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysde
ps/pthread -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../nptl/sysdeps/
i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/
unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman
 -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../
sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fp
u -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I..
/sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee75
4/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/i
eee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/li
b/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/include -isystem /lib/modules/2.5.69-mm3/build/i
nclude -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h
    -DHAVE_INITFINI -o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.2-r2/work/glibc-2.3.2/buildher
e/csu/libc-tls.o
../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c: In function `__libc_start_main':
../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:147: error: structure has no member named `self'
../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:166: warning: assignment of read-only variable `
ptr'
../nptl/sysdeps/pthread/list.h: At top level:
../stdio-common/_itoa.h:40: warning: inlining failed in call to `_itoa_word'
../nptl/sysdeps/pthread/list.h:76: warning: called from here
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.2-r2/work/glibc-2.3.2/buildhere/csu/lib                             c-start.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
In file included from ../nptl/sysdeps/i386/tls.h:98,
                 from ../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686/tls.h:34,
                 from ../include/tls.h:3,
                 from ../include/errno.h:22,
                 from ../sysdeps/generic/libc-tls.c:20:
../nptl/descr.h:64: warning: declaration does not declare anything
../stdio-common/_itoa.h:40: warning: inlining failed in call to `_itoa_word'
../string/bits/string2.h:76: warning: called from here
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.2-r2/work/glibc-2.3.2/csu                             '
make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.2-r2/work/glibc-2.3.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.2-r2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 379, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
Vagabond
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new patches for the r5 sources now compile for me with GCC-3.3 but I get problems compiling the nvidia 3123 kernel module for it. Strangely enough I managed to compile the 3123 module for the 2.5 kernel using the patches from minion. I can post the dump if you're interested.

Vag
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in the process of compiling Sun Java 1.4.1, had to apply a lot of fixes allready and I'm afraid it has come to a stop right now :-)
nimrod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:

Not yet, some base packages still fail as I understand - I can't do an emerge -e world at least.

Hm, I ws wondering how would one do it? Bootstraping with another gcc and/or glibc but the ones which are the default?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: